16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Is the Supersizer Worth the Price?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Note: this topic is a continuation from another thread

Is the MEC Super Sizer worth the price? My answer is MAYBE.

I happily used the standard off the shelf 600 Jr for several years for my 16ga reloading. Then as my 16ga pursuits became more involved, shortcomings of the 600 Jr emerged, chiefly first with the ring resizer.

I became frustrated with the tendency of the ring resizer to crumple the plastic lip of older well-used hulls, ruining the hull and interrupting things, unless I carefully teased the hull into the ring. At first it was an annoyance, then a bother, and finally a full blown resentful obsession. Something had to be done, as I was trying to process a couple hundred hulls in a sitting every week or two.

Then I capitulated and forked over the funds for a Super Sizer. INSTANT RELIEF! Now I can sit back and pump out resized hulls in a comfortable numb robot-like manner and be done before the authorities upstairs notice my absence. And no pile of ruined hulls in the trash bin.

I removed the ring and sleeve and use the station only for depriming. This may be heresy but I don’t bother resizing the plastic, just the metal head in the super sizer.
Adds maybe two or three seconds to the operation, but SO much smoother and easier.

In my case the Super Sizer has proven to be indispensable. But for casual reloading, maybe not so much. So I guess it all depends on the user and circumstances.

V/R
B.

BTW I hardly ever complete the whole reloading process in a single sitting. I like to accumulate a bin of sized and primed hulls, then fill them with whatever shot and wads as needed for the next day’s activities. I don’t like to load a giant hoard of shells only to find I have a better wad or load that I would have preferred to use instead.
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Yes and the Lachmiller

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
and the Lachmiller

Sizing die or priming tool?
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fn76YWu9nE

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

The best thing about the SuperSizer is that it is adjustable for constriction, while ring or sleeve resizers are not. One might never need to adjust a SuperSizer or the collet resizers on MEC reloaders of one type or another (can't on early Grabbers), but it can be done. I use a 28 gauge collet backed off from the closer about as far as I dare, to resize 24 gauge shells. It does work better for me than the ring I made for the MEC 600 I converted to load 24's, but it seems to be because the only 24 gauge hulls I can get are Fiocchi's and while their heads are brass, they are very thin and low and subject to flare slightly at the top edge when ring resized. That would not normally be a problem, except it is on my 24 gauge Beretta 686, as the slightly flared upper edge of the brass can catch on the extractor cutouts in the barrels if I'm not careful closing the gun.

My post on the earlier thread by Pbking51 was intended to guide him to think about whether it was worth adding a SuperSizer when he already had a 600 Jr. The history I gave was to point out it wasn't resizing inadequacy that caused MEC to develop a collet resizer. The collet resizer was initially strictly about bringing resizing capability into the sequence of their progressive reloaders. I dare say that if it wasn't for their desire to differentiate their progressive reloaders from the competition in that way, it would never have occurred to MEC to adopt a collet-style resizer. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. Sometimes invention is the mother of necessity. The latter is the case I attribute to the development of the SuperSizer and the Sizemaster, once the collet resizer was devised. Either way, I'm glad all these products were brought to market, and clearly the market has justified them.

Cheers!

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Totally understand that Maximum Smoke. I dislike having to tenderly feed shells into the chamber with my fingers. I squeeze them down a little with the Super Sizer so they drop down into the chamber on their own, and maybe rattle around a bit in there as well.

B.
Purple16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

I now use MEC sizers for the 2 1/2" hulls I load for hunting on my 12 and 16 gauge 600jr's. I like them pretty well as I size a bunch in a batch then load up after.

I think I paid like $75 for the ones I have looking around a bit.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Winchester21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:05 am  Reply with quote

I use my Supersizer for 16, 20 & 28ga shells and find it invaluable since I have several guns in each gauge and they leave the fired hulls with slightly different dimensions. (My 12ga Grabber has the collet sizer on the press.) When I had only one gun, a 20ga Win101, I never had to resize the brass but as soon as I got another 20ga gun, an Auto5, I had to.
What I also like about the Supersizer is that you can safely resize loaded shells because there is nothing against the primer. I've lent mine with the 28ga collets to friends whose reloads weren't fitting properly into their gun chambers and they were able to safely resize the metal base, salvaging hundreds of reloads.
But the cost of the Supersizer is something that makes me cringe now. I think I paid less than $100 for my unit plus the 2 extra gauge collets - but that was many years ago.

Note: Sorry for the extra posts shown below. The system was giving me "error codes" and I didn't realize that it was still posting my inputs. Mea Culpa

Last edited by Winchester21 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Winchester21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:05 am  Reply with quote

I use my Supersizer for 16, 20 & 28ga shells and find it invaluable since I have several guns in each gauge and they leave the fired hulls with slightly different dimensions. (My 12ga Grabber has the collet sizer on the press.) When I had only one gun, a 20ga Win101, I never had to resize the brass but as soon as I got another 20ga gun, an Auto5, I had to.
What I also like about the Supersizer is that you can safely resize loaded shells because there is nothing against the primer. I've lent mine with the 28ga collets to friends whose reloads weren't fitting properly into their gun chambers and they were able to safely resize the metal base, salvaging hundreds of reloads.
But the cost of the Supersizer is something that makes me cringe now. I think I paid less than $100 for my unit plus the 2 extra gauge collets - but that was many years ago.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Winchester21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Winchester21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Winchester21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Is a must.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Another thing I like about using the Supersizer is that you don't have to worry about shot or powder getting inbetween the crimping fingers. I think we've probably all had problems with shot or powder getting inbetween the crimping fingers of the swager that is on the MEC Grabber or 9000 models. While the powder can be blown out, the shot can be a problem and the damn thing has to be disassembled to clean it out.