16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roll Crimping
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

I decided to try some roll crimping. I ordered the roll crimper and hull prepper from ballistic products. They were out of the hull holder so I am trying without it. Wondering if anyone else has tried doing it and if there are any benefits beside looking good.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Roll crimping is slow and tedious compared to fold crimping with any of the commercially available reloading machines; I used MEC Sizemasters. Also, roll crimped cases cannot be reloaded more than 2 or 3 times, many fewer than if fold crimped. I reloaded for 44 years but stopped when we moved to an apartment in a retirement community where I don't have a place to reload.

I only roll crimped 24 gauge cartridges because there was no 24 gauge reloader available - I used my 20 gauge Sizemaster to deprime, reprime, drop powder, insert wad and drop shot. I then C-clamped a 28 gauge MEC Super Sizer to my drill press table and opened the collet up to properly size the 24 gauge brass and hold the cartridge while I roll crimped it.

I used a GAEP roll crimp head made in Italy. It was FAR superior to the Ballistic Products product. I've read that the Precision Reloading roll crimp head is better than the BP but not quite as good as the GAEP.

The only reason I roll crimped was that there was no 24 gauge reloader available. I cannot imagine roll crimping because it is"looking good".
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

French: I have all 3 roll crimpers mentioned. The best by far is the gaep, they have different ones for plastic and paper. The next is the precision and it does a good job. The BP one just sucks. The roll really isn’t a roll compared to the other two. You want great roll crimps, then buy the gaep and don’t look back. The hull vise isn’t a must, but sure makes life easier. I spin mine in a drill press, you need to have a pretty good grip on the hull for it not to spin with a press. I also have the hand crank antique and it works great also. Reloading a rolled one is a little more of a challenge as stated above. If you get the gaep it takes about 2 sec additional. About the same time to pre crimp and finish crimp on any other press. It does take a little practice, but after about 10-12 shells you will be fine.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:45 am  Reply with quote

The best roll crimping tools are the old Lyman roll crimpers.
If you can find them. Just my opinion.

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:01 am  Reply with quote

All good advice so far, second the tool choices, I've had such good performance from PR tools never seen the need to try the Gaep tools although many think highly of them. I think BP has tools available now that have more than 1 roll pin and it may be an improvement over their original single pin models but PR IMO are the way to go for domestic. I too use a Supersizer as hull vice = 2 birds 1 stone. Drill press adds consistency.

Pro's; max hull capacity. max hull life i.e. as the folded hulls get ripped and crusty trim them back and get a few more loading's out of them. Another option/method/technique to learn. Instant load recognition by either color coding or printing the shot size and type on the OSC.

Con's a bit more fiddling to a degree, but, if not going into mass production IMO add's more time in the cave to what I see as an enjoyable hobby.

Good luck with it...

win7stw
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Deprime, prime, powder, wad and shot was all done on a a Ponsness Warren 375. Then roll crimped with a Gaep tool on my drill press. I can load a box roll crimping just as fast as fold crimps. Can get a few more reloads out of them if you use the BPI spinmaster hull conditioner.

frenchbritt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will send the Ballistic Products roll crimper back when it come in and try the Gaep roll crimper.
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will send the Ballistic Products roll crimper back when it come in and try the Gaep roll crimper.
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will send the Ballistic Products roll crimper back when it come in and try the better roll crimper.
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will send mine back when it comes in and order the better one. Thanks!
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for multiple relies. my laptop said error when I sent it.
harkom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 am  Reply with quote

Win7stw

nice roll turnovers displayed

Could you tell us which RTO - GAEP No - that you used to make these?

harkom
win7stw
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Harkom I will look when I get home but I believe it is the OTP crimper. I will give you Charles’s info from Gaep and you can email him. He is a great guy to deal with and he will make sure you get the right crimped for your application

DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I ordered one of those Russian roll crimpers on Ebay a couple years ago. Cost was about $25, shipping included. It works well and produces very neat crimps. IIRC, it took a couple months to arrive. I have tried the crimper heads from BPI and Precision Reloading, plus a Lyman-made head for drill presses. None work as well as the Russian equipment.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293945282898?hash=item4470811152:g:UuUAAOSwUKpgHrTN

I believe it maybe Charles posting the GAEP products on eBay.

As noted in an earlier post OTC is for paper hulls, and OTP for plastic

I think the GAEP is the best, although I have a collection of vintage Lyman roll crimping heads I picked up over the years on eBay which do a good job as well.