16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shot prices.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I buy my shot from several clubs I shoot at. Most I've paid is 34$. Which means I have much bought up. Many of the shooters run out and begging for the clubs to get more in but their suppliers rarely get shot in. It's so expensive ( last prices were 51$ 25lb ) . Last news of information I got is the shell manufacturers been paying premium prices to keep up with production. Causing the factory loaded shells to be cheaper than reloading. That I understand but at the same time causing the sport to price itself right out of business. I have about 60 bags left and if I run out I will be done shooting if the prices don't drop.

I said when Obammy intered the presidency tha prices will continue until many will drop out. That is what happened. Between the shooters that passed away and many of the younger just never came back to fill the ranks. I know in sparsely places clubs seen a tic up in attendance. But that is not the norm around the country . I'm afraid this next round of price gouging will be the demise of what is left of the claybird sport for the middle income and retired guy.

I'm not trying to enter politics into this forum but we must not neglect the facts. I pray GOD I am wrong. Billc[/u]
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Well the normal price here in Houston is 50-51 a bag. Been that for several years. I did buy 5 bags of old shot(20 years) for 35 a bag last weekend. I don’t just shoot 12 or 20, so even at 50 a bag it’s still worth to reload.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Our club staff bless their souls have been keeping us in lead shot under $45 recently albeit with a gentle touch of rationing, two bags per visit I think.

On the other hand, for 12 ga and 20 ga, there is little reason to expect reloading to be more economical than factory production. All the advantages of scale of production lie with the big manufacturers. But as far as 16 ga goes, the big guys probably discard more shells than all the total 16 ga production worldwide.

B.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am  Reply with quote

In my area of SoCal new shot has been almost impossible to find, and it goes for ~$50. But I have been able to get good quality and clean reclaim shot for $32 a bag. I use it for my weekly skeet and 5-Stand which is just casual with friends. I will use new shot when I want to get serious about scores, or the distances are longer.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I wish someone actually sold shot where I live.