16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sweet 16 A5....need overall impression after a season or two
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Fellas,

I'm strongly considering one of the new inertia A5 Sweet 16 w/26" bbl....boy do they handle sweet. 5lbs 12oz....unbelievable. and one inch longer overall than a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro w/ 24" bbl (what I was originally decided on)

Biggest question....how's the recoil?
That gun is LIGHT....not looking to shoot clays with it (maybe once in a great while)...but in real world hunting situations, does the recoil become uncomfortable or flinch inducing...

I ask this because I hunted with pre-war Ithaca 37 pumps for a few years, before I realized I was flinching like crazy when I shot them. They pounded the snot out of me, but I didn't focus on it too much...

At 1500.00 new....I figure I better ask.

df
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve had the new sw 16 a couple seasons. Have hunted dove, quail and pheasants with it. It’s an excellent bird gun. I do not notice the recoil when hunting. Most of my hunting days have been 15 or less shots. I did find that it does not do well with Fiocchi one ounce light loads. They don’t have enough power to reliably cycle the action. I have had zero issues with Winchester, Remington, Golden Pheasant, Herters and my reloads.
I would not buy it for a frequent use clays gun. I’d buy it for any kind of upland hunting.
My gun had the original sharp pistol grip, but I had it modified by Mark Larson.
airmedic1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I haven’t hunted mine a lot, but I never noticed that it kicked at all when shooting at game. I don’t know who told you it was only one inch longer than the BUL but I think it is much longer than that. It’s one of the longest semi automatics out there even with the 26” barrel. One of the guys on this board (I think) had his cut down to 23” and it was about the same length as a BUL.

airmedic1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I haven’t hunted mine a lot, but I never noticed that it kicked at all when shooting at game. I don’t know who told you it was only one inch longer than the BUL but I think it is much longer than that. It’s one of the longest semi automatics out there even with the 26” barrel. One of the guys on this board (I think) had his cut down to 23” and it was about the same length as a BUL.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I'm more of a fan of doubles, but I definitely like the new a5 sweet 16. Recoil is a non-issue. I've used it for a tower shoot, and last fall shot 4 rounds of trap with it using Federal Game Shok #8's. Recoil felt no worse than with what I use for my usual trap gun, a Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting.
Cass
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
Fellas,

I'm strongly considering one of the new inertia A5 Sweet 16 w/26" bbl....boy do they handle sweet. 5lbs 12oz....unbelievable. and one inch longer overall than a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro w/ 24" bbl (what I was originally decided on)

Biggest question....how's the recoil?
That gun is LIGHT....not looking to shoot clays with it (maybe once in a great while)...but in real world hunting situations, does the recoil become uncomfortable or flinch inducing...

I ask this because I hunted with pre-war Ithaca 37 pumps for a few years, before I realized I was flinching like crazy when I shot them. They pounded the snot out of me, but I didn't focus on it too much...

At 1500.00 new....I figure I better ask.

I continue to be very happy with mine. Here is a link to an older thread:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19782&highlight=

Cass
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

I had trouble with mine last weekend cycling 1 oz factory loads. I verified it was clean and oiled the night before. I've had it a couple years so its well broken in. Ammo was Federal,Win,and Herters 1 ounce field load. I called the factory and was told the ammo must be 1290 fps. Sounds off since I know of no factory 1 oz at that speed. After that, I broke it down including taking out the bolt and trigger group. Didnt see any issues/residue etc beyond what I would expect for having had fired 2 boxes of the 1 oz ers at clays. Super cleaned every nook/cranny. It then cycled 5 Federal 1 ounce as fast as I could shoot em but the problem remained with Win 1 oz game load. I know the Win's are mild so that didnt surprise me.
All this said,I love the gun for hunting. Probably got half my pheasants with it last year. As others have said, recoil is no issue with this gun. Maybe it would be if you tried to use the various 1 1/8 loads for clays. Today I got my hands on one of the new POW type grip ones. I definitely would recommend that over the original. And I do prefer the 26 in version too.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

This is all incredibly encouraging stuff.

AirMedic: I was at my LGS today and laying on the counter, side by side, the Benelli Montefeltro w/ 24" bbl is 1-1/8" shorter than the A5 16 w/ 26" bbl....when it comes to the Benelli UltraLite I couldn't say personally....but I was amazed at the minimal OAL difference between the 24" Montefeltro and the 26" SW16....the A5 balanced and pointed better in my opinion too...and I had my mind set on the Montefeltro...
I was initially planning on a 20ga Ultralight...but the "wrap" type wood finish is not for me....not at 1600.00... other than that I really like the Ultralight

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Have had mine for several years now. Mine will eat Federals but not Herters. I shot with Savage16 last weekend when he was having issues with his and Federals. I was shooting a Tristar G2 Bronze and breaking it in with his chrono loads of 1230-1240 and Ched\Ched 18 gr. of Green Dot and SG16 with 1 oz. which were flawless.

Mine started life as a 28" but had Briley cut the barrel down to 23" and install thinwalls. Which made it as long as a 26" Ithaca 37 16 ga. which is my favorite grouse gun.

Handled about the same but that steep radius grip puts a hurting on my hands for all day carry. So had Mark Larson modify it to a round grip.

Of course this was before the round grip version was available. And Browning does not sell stocks or bbls. for the Sweet 16 separately. To be fair after only a couple thousand rounds in sporting clays with it the extractor broke and stopped on the way back from Horse and Hunt at Alhmans which is an authorized repair facility and they replaced it in half an hour. But it really isn't a high volume gun.

Then again I have been held up by more Brownings O\U guns and FTF on the lower barrel over the last 20 years than all other guns combined. Apparently that is not something allowed to admit in polite company LOL.

No regrets for modifying my A5 Sweet for grouse hunting and in early season before the broods break up is my go to gun.

I'm not much of a City Boy and have little tolerance for them. I go out to kill birds and work all year with the dogs and work with them every day. Once the broods break up and the leaves fall I prefer an open choke and tighter choke.

I will be shooting my Tristar in the morning on clays. It is 6 1/4 pounds so half a pound heavier than the A5. Much better than the Sweet for clays so far. The Sweet has its place for me but is only about a week or so in early October.

Time will tell but think I am liking the Tristar G2 better than the A5 Sweet 16. Just saying...
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,
Very interesting report. I remember you posting when you had your barrel cut back etc...its an impressive gun!

1stgun
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:08 am  Reply with quote

I never liked the grip but I did like the weight. Did not have a problem with recoil. Shot ducks, doves, and clays.
I just can't seem to do well with a recoil operated gun although I have tried quite a few.

I sold mine.

Regards,
Chuck

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

My A5 SW16 also went down the road. I had it nicely modified to a straight grip and that made it much nicer to carry, but I never shot it all that well. Not the gun's fault on that. It did however start jamming on my 1 oz. Herter's loads, but shot 1 1/8 oz hunting loads just fine. The guy I sold it to sold it to another guy. That third guy, who I know, told me the extractor was broken. Whatever the case it just didn't work out for me.

A couple weeks ago I got to handle Cold Iron's Tristar Viper Bronze. It was much nicer than I expected, light at 6.25 lbs., and it handled great. I like the idea of a light gas gun to help soak up recoil on the heavier loads yet handle light loads. Plus I shoot 6 1/4 pound guns better than 5 3/4 lb. guns. Just today I ordered a blued model for $520, 1/3 the cost of a new SW16. It will be my backup/rain gun, and I'll take it duck hunting. I think I'm going to like it.
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Danny,

Like mine. Have shot quite a bit of game with mine, bobwhite and mearn's quail and pheasants mostly. Have shot more 1 oz low velocity and low velocity reloaded steel loads than high velocity loads. Very few hiccups. After one last season, I took the trigger guard out of the gun for the first time and found a lot of packing grease/burned powder on the hinge of the shell lifter, cleaned it up and the gun worked great the rest of the season.

Biggest issue for me is getting used to a light weight, whippy gun. Most of the guns listed below go from 6.5 to 7.25 lbs, the weight I've mostly used all my life, so less than 6 lbs. takes so getting use to.

Recoil is very light, can't explain why, it just is.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kqxeJp] [/url]Sweet16birds by Michael Widner, on Flickr

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Bill K
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 am  Reply with quote

I've had my New A5 Sweet 16 since 2019, and I like it a lot.

I own both a New Sweet 16 as well as a Vintage Sweet 16, I like them both - but to be honest I like the New A5 better.

The only people who seem to look down their noses at the New A5 Sweet 16s are Vintage Sweet 16 owners - not sure if that is a nostalgia thing, or old age, or a bit of both.

Vintage Sweet 16s are built like a brick shit house, definitely have more cool amenities but they are heavier. Then again it is dated technology.

Comparing the two would be akin to comparing a M-1 Garand to a M-16, both are good guns - but ask yourself which one would you want to carry all day ?

RE recoil, the only time I perceived any recoil was the first time I fired my New A5 Sweet 16 on the skeet field, after that I never noticed - then again I don't feel recoil on shots fired at game.

As for carrying & handling, the New A5 Sweet 16 has its own 'feel', but I found it very easy to get used to, and I like the way it cradles in my arm.

My suggestion is go buy one, you won't regret it, and listen to Vintage Sweet 16 owners chiding comments with a grain of salt.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:48 am  Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I took my 1957 Belgium Browning A5 Sweet 16 out on the sporting clays course a couple of weeks ago. Put every type of light 16 gauge shell I had through it -- Fiocchi, B&P, Winchester, Herter's. It cycled everything. No problem. Amazing.