16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sweet 16 A5....need overall impression after a season or two
Emtymag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

I had a “new” sweet 16ga inertia gun. It tipped/fell hard in the duck blind and bent the barrel. Confirmed by several shooters, pattern board and slugs.

Down the road it went.

Waiting on something better. AKA the original auto 5.

The model 12 will do for now

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

I bought one to go along with my other 16's two Browning Citoris and an original Auto 5. After I bought it I had buyers remorse since I did not need another 16 for sure. I shot a round of skeet with it and felt the recoil was a bit sharp but the gun is very light.
I loaded some 7/8 oz loads but the gun would not cycle them at all. My 1180 1 oz loads work fine in it. The first year I had it I brought it to South Dakota I hunted with my Citori III the first day and after that the Sweet. It is an absolutely great handling hunting gun. Last year I hunted SD again and never took the Citori out of its case. I used Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 5's . Shot it at ducks with Bismuth 5's too. Great gun like many others have said maybe a bit long for the grouse and woodcock thickets. My only issue was the stock chipped behind the trigger guard, Browning took care of it with new wood.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Im very surprised that the Tri Star is only 6.25 lbs. I thought they were 7? I thought that was what I read about them.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Im very surprised that the Tri Star is only 6.25 lbs. I thought they were 7? I thought that was what I read about them.

Swampy, I just picked up a 16ga. Tristar Viper G2 and it weighs 6 lbs. 6 oz. on my postal scale.

These are pretty nice guns for the money, I paid $520. Took it out yesterday to break it in and I fed it some hot Noblesport hunting ammo that I won't shoot in my doubles, just kick too much to the point of being violent. I was flabbergasted by the lack of recoil in the Viper. Just a little nose-heavy they swing a little like an 1100. They're on a scaled 16 gauge frame and the pistol grip circumference is quite small. It's my new duck gun, and will serve as a rainy-day mudder for anything. The way it shoots I have no doubt it's capable of some pretty high sporting clays scores.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the serious in field reviews!

Very interesting on the FTF issues with varying shells....You'd think in today's world, factory 16ga shells would be fairly reliable for cycling an inertia action across the board...and that a newly manufactured 16ga semi auto would Digest ANY factory load with no trouble....not that all ammo companies use the same components etc, just that, IMO, the world of 16ga ammunition isn't terribly diverse in comparison to say, a 20ga, and that said you'd think the differences in components wouldn't be enough to hang up a newly designed gun.
Another interesting point is that most of you guys don't have any hangup on felt recoil so far, which in a sub 6lb gun, is pretty enticing....I personally feel like off the rack, the A5 16 fits me very well, and points the best of any off the shelf inertia gun I've handled. That right there tends to mitigate felt recoil ALOT...but I needed some reinforcement on that point.

Bottom line is, it's my #1 choice for my new bird gun...hits all the marks and most everything I'm reading here appears to share the same experience.

The feedback about issues and after purchase experience and reasons for parting with the gun is very good info too. I'm glad to have it, so thanks there too!

-danny

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:42 am  Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll love it, Danny. It's a nice light upland auto. In my case it was more of a novelty because I'm a SxS guy for upland. I can say, been there, done that, and I have the t-shirt. (I actually do have a SW16 t-shirt. lol!)
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Danny gun fit is ~99% of the battle and if it fits you and feels right I vote go for it! First time I shot one was at the Sweet 16 shoot and Browning donated one for the shoot and Savage16 brought it. I managed to hog it most of the time and during the flurry we all were shooting new A5 Sweet 16's and we were the only squad to not let a bird hit the ground. And were a man short of a full squad. They are a great shooting gun.

double vision wrote:
I'm sure you'll love it, Danny. It's a nice light upland auto. In my case it was more of a novelty because I'm a SxS guy for upland. I can say, been there, done that, and I have the t-shirt. (I actually do have a SW16 t-shirt. lol!)

Very Happy At Zumbrota a couple of years ago, think you were there, Mr. Browning wore his A5 shirt. He had just come back from a trip through Utah and stopped at Browning, his last relative and contact at Browning had just retired. He joked that all he could get now was a lousy T-Shirt

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:17 am  Reply with quote

I don't think I was there that day because I would remember that shirt. I did have a nice chat with him when we were shooting there last month.