16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  No-Tox shot?
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

When lead was banned the ammo makers substituted steel and replaceable chokes. but a lot of shooters had fine thin barreled guns that would be damaged by steel shot, so various sources started supplying shot made from "non-lead" and sufficiently soft to not damage barrels. the first was Bismuth, then various combinations of Tungsten and polymer. I've seen shot brand named Nice, Classic Double, Classic Tungsten and a few others that escape me. Now I see Boss shot. Some of the shot seems to be renamed bismuth, I think some is copper plated bismuth and others I don't know what it is.

Can someone provide some guidance to exactly what is currently available and what it actually is?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Nice Shot was nice, but it didn't hang around long and to my knowledge is gone.

Steel shot is still here and still presents problems with tight chokes and thin barrels.

Bismuth is still around. Some of it is copper plated, not that it makes a whole lot of difference. Boss sells copper plated bismuth. Either plated or not, Bismuth is kind to older shotguns.

Tungsten polymer or tungsten matrix shot is kind of expensive but it is kind to older barrels.

ITX-10 & ITX-13 are sold by Ballistic Products and is offered in two different hardnesses. You would want the softer ITX 10 pellets for older shotguns.

Then of course there are various tungsten shot types, but they aren't suitable for older shotguns and thin barrels.

IMHO, bismuth is the way to go. Choose one pellet size larger than you would use for lead shot and have at it.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Never used the stuff. Plain Ole lead still works for me.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

For waterfowl it's a must. No lead allowed. Shocked
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:59 am  Reply with quote

lead works great till the CO walks up with his metal checker and the stuff you have isn't approved !!

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Since it became law I only shot it one time. Heard and seen the shot ans seen the shot bounce off a goose breast. Watched the goose react some and then flew on. Enough of that. Pulled out my lead and shot happy ever after . No cripples either.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

There is no question that lead has the best combination of density and soft/hardness to claim the title "best" for use as shot, but public sentiment being exerted via law, regulation and policy is requiring its dis-use. Presently in Washington State the hunter isn't allowed to even have in his/her possession lead shot when on several state owned game lands as well as when hunting migratory birds. the agents have a device that when put next to a shell will indicate if there is lead in it. So it isn't as though you could take an empty hull that was marked bismuth and load it with lead and be able to trick the agent.

Near as I can tell. Tungsten polymer/matrix has about the best performance as a substitute for lead, but are difficult to find for 16 ga. But then for the past year finding anything for shooting sports has been difficult to obtain- so other than spending between 3-5$ per shot, I guess things will improve.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Nice was the best, but is gone as far as I can tell. Bismuth works pretty well, although requires a larger size as stated above. I have also used tungsten matrix with very good results, also.

Emtymag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

https://bossshotshells.com/shotshells/bismuth/

Bismuth

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Jagdhund,

Have you been able to get tungsten matrix for reloading or has it been new ammo only?

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Saw the pellets bounce off the breast of a goose? I wish my eyes were that good.