16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT: Golden Retrievers
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Chester is nearing full retirement, leaving us without a field dog. For some time now, HQ has made it abundantly clear that any new dog will be most unwelcome. But recently there has been a stunning reversal in that position, brought on by new acquaintance with a close friend’s Golden Retriever. It’s becoming evident that a Golden, and only a Golden, might be warmly embraced in the household, which is cause for optimism.

We have no history of Goldens in the field, either through family or friends, just rumors of a habit of biting. Has anyone here anything to report on Goldens as all purpose field dogs?

TIA
B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

Before answering your question I need to understand what kind of hunting you intend to do with your dog mostly.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 am  Reply with quote

I grew up with 2 , mother and son . Mother was friendly , playful , a GREAT pheasant dog . She was fierce when she needed to be , driving off Shepards , other big dogs , and any size barncats . Perfect in the house and friendly to strangers (mostly). She knew when someone had to leave or wasn't welcome , but would never bite .... One thing about Goldens , when pheasant hunting , they are FAST . If the bird stays circling , great . If that bird has to take off and line out , you'd better be on a dirt bike or something that can chase fast and as far as a bird might run ! FAR !! .... The younger dog was fairly similar to mom except he liked skunks . Nick woulda died hunting with him . He'd act birdy , youd try to keep up , and next thing you know , you'd break out and he'd be nose to nose . Sniffing and playing till he got to the tail and BANG ! I got my butt blistered many times , the old man would get home and the whole neighborhood smelled - dog LOVED it ! (PC Dave - she would stay the perfect distance Grouseing - would always circle and get the birds to flush on an angle instead of away )

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Dave
Chester leaves big paw prints to fill, as he excelled with pheasants, grouse, and waterfowl. We also hope to tackle the multitudes of quail found in the eastern scrublands here as well, along with Chukar. No rabbits or squirrels. We absolutely do NOT want a deer chaser. Chester ignores deer unless they enter the yard, in which case he drives them out, as he does with coyotes, bobcats, bear, raccoons, etc.

Thanks
B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

In reality it does not sound like you need a Golden Retriever. There are plenty of other good upland breeds that do the job you want done. If you hunt mostly Ducks, Geese and once in a while some Pheasants the Golden is fine. Some GR's are really not good upland dogs, it all depends on the kennel you purchase from. In fact we have some around here that do not hunt at all, strictly house pet stuff.

Sounds like you want another Chester, I wish you a lot of luck. If I can help you with your choice of upland hunting dogs let me know. Few Golden Retrievers will satisfy your needs unfortunately.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave

duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have the HQ issue too & Goldens are the option I use. My wife grew up with Labs & Brittany breeds but we got a pair of Goldens when we married and that was it. Nothing else will due despite having two great Labs come along.

The looks of a Golden are hard to beat and so too for personality. That's making finding a good hunting Golden a real challenge. Too many breeding poorly for popularity market & mutt making with poodles. I have had 4 Goldens and fostered a few more that were good to excellent hunters, both upland & in the duck blind. The foster dogs were in my care because the hunting instincts did not sit well with owners that wanted cute couch potatoes. They found better homes.

If you are primarily an upland hunter you will be spending a large amount of time on deburring & grooming. That is an issue to weigh with Goldens. Make sure both sire & dam have good guard hairs in their coat for hunting up north . Many breeders are breeding for fluff even if they don't admit it. You need to brush them daily if a house dog. Plan on a tan wardrobe and Golden colored furnishings.

Owning a Golden hunter is a pain in the rear and you will forget that as soon as it plops its head in your lap. Good luck with your HQ.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

PS to my earlier comments on Golden Retrievers: They will eat your house if given a chance. Our first pair ate the redwood steps to our back door in an afternoon. That was the first week we had them; nothing but splinters and small shards. Their chewing makes Labs look like amateurs at chewing...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

I guess the important question at the moment is whether a Golden, acquired and treated as a house pet, has the instincts and resilience to be taken afield for an occasional upland hunting outing. Nothing extreme, just a seasonal pheasant or quail hunt.

B.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:56 am  Reply with quote

Goldens will do any game you want if you start them out very early. Once they get the taste of what hunt your after then be ware. They will come up to you with that special look in their eyes that you can't turn them down. Their a quality dog all around. Oh I must mention many love a beer after the hunt. I had one who would not just drink just any beer. I kept four to five brands in the fridge for friends that drop buy. My golden would not touch a cheap bud wiser. Even by looking at the label he scuffed at it. His special was Miller's Highlife or Coors regular. Oh ya, out of bottles only. He didn't like the tinney aluminum taste from cans. But he loved his beer. Bill
duckdup
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11
Yes, even a house Golden can be a good field dog that will walk your legs off. Once they get a taste of feathers, they are ready to find and retrieve all day long in all sorts of weather. Watch their feet for ice build-up in the pads.

Hammer Bill
Mine is not a beer dog until he smells a porter or brown ale, then he becomes a lap dog Very Happy

Also of note, Goldens are more likely to develop two types of untreatable cancers than most breeds.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

I am waiting on a gentlemen on another forum to give me a recommendation on where he purchased his Golden that hunts upland and Ducks both real well.
When and if he gets back to me, I will pass the kennel information along to you, so you can get the Golden you want for hunting and to please your better half.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

Here ya go - Golden Breeder info

Beatrice, NE - Have both hunt and show dogs advise them of what you want.

Phone - 402-992-1224

Platt River Goldens - Very good hunting dogs, long wait to get a pup however.

402-719-5673

hope this help you.

Pine Creek/Dave

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Many thanks Dave for the info, much appreciated.

B.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

Good puppy hunting to your sir!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Rpm150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

I had a golden who passed in May, she gave us 13 amazing years. She was originally purchased as a hunting line however she ended up being gun shy. Eventually she transitioned into being a house dog. Excellent prey drive, loved water, excellent nose, undeniably beautiful, and the most loyal companion I’ve ever had. All that being said, I’m not planning to get another Golden.

The akc rates them as a 5 star shedder, this is an award Abbey took to heart and made sure her shedding abilities were on full display. They’re flushing dogs, so you will want to keep that in mind as well, they aren’t going to stand and wait for you to flush the bird. I prefer a pointing dog over a flushing so I’m going to look elsewhere. I wanted an Irish setter but they’ve been bred for show rather than hunting for so long it’s almost impossible to find a hunting line.

My next dog will be a gsp dk. In my opinion based on your list you may want a Deutsch Drahthaar. Just keep in mind they can be a little sharp.

Good luck!