16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dog does not understand no
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

She was born in March and has a great nose but she is training me ,is it time for a shock collar,any advise would be welcome thanks Auoelio
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Aurelio,

There is nothing wrong with a Dogtra Train and Beep Collar. I teach all my clients how to use them, after I have trained their Grouse dog with their use. I highly recommend them, if you need some help getting started let me know. Purchase the Dogtra T&B it is still the best training collar on the market IMO. I developed an entire training program using the T&B Collars.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:15 am  Reply with quote

First what kind of dog and huntiing? I've owned and trained Labs for over 40 years. You can throw a few Setters and GWPs in the mix. That said I cringe when a new dog owner asks about collars. I have owned them (and still do) Proper collar conditioning is a must. Not done right they can do more harm then good. Is your dog in the house or a kennel?
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 am  Reply with quote

She is a springer spaniel will be hunting grouse and pheasant.We have 90 acres and she does a good job of finding feathers I hide on the property and will break and come In on 3 blasts of a whistle.She does good at fetching for a treat but when I took her dove hunting she would not give me the bird and ate it.Dave if I lived by you I would pay you to train her and does that training aid come with a video..?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Aurelio,

I thought you owed a pointing dog, sorry and no video available form me. You need to have a trainer who works with flushing dogs help you. The dog needs to be trained professionally for best results. If you are not an experienced trainer.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Lots of dogs will start out refusing to give up birds and even eat them. Doves are the worst because they have very loose feathers that often either result in dogs that are feather shy or get very mouthy/ hardmouthed. I would strongly recommend no more doves until these problems are addressed. A professional trainer is a great idea and I would highly encourage that. That being said this is very correctable and based on the information you have provided. In my opinion an e-collar is not the solution, at least at this time. Having a good hunting dog is the best and the more experienced you become the better it will be. Find a trainer that is fine with you being involved in the process. When I was training dogs I felt my job was to train the owner as much as their dog. Above all don't stress and have fun. 99% of dog problems are correctable. Not every dog will be a world champion but the vast majority will be very serviceable hunting companions.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

My best day EVER , was when the beagle learned "SIT" . OMG , but till that day it was either leashed and strolling or unleashed and gone ! She was probably 6 or 7 when she got it . When Beagles are loose and hot , they are deaf !! And , when you aren't on the chase , you can't really tell them to Shut Up either . Tricky , like you are finding out !

Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Never owned an electronic collar, never will.
Dog eating a dove, or not wanting to give it to you, is easily corrected without any use of a collar. Just my opinion, I know many use collars for training, but I do not.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Your dog is still a pup. Simple hold conditioning will solve the problem. That and NO MORE treats for retrieving. She may very well think she is allowed to eat the bird. The act of retrieving is her treat, that and the praise lavished on her. Good luck and keep us posted.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have to admit teaching the owner is a big part of our business, not only training the dog but teaching the owner how to become a companion hunter is very important.
We also never give teats for retrieving, it can lead to having the dog eat what it retrieves. In reality this can come from repeat eating just after a retrieve. Timing & location are very big disciplines while dog training. We do not teach sit to a pup either, the comes later, with hump training for a flushing dog. You must also remember to keep the training interesting and never over due it. Remember a dog must understand a command before any discipline takes place, the dog must understand the command when given. This is all part of learning for the dog, and the human companion both.
We use the beeper on the T&B Collars as a command giver, it works very very well and there is no mistake that the dog did not hear the command. If your dog is still a pup he is learning the commands you are giving him, always give the dog the benefit of the doubt, repeat training is the key to success.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave