16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dumb question for the day
Bill K
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Fox Sterlingworth circa 1934, English stock, 16 ga on a 20 ga frame that is sweeter than candy - problem is I’m not a double trigger kind of guy. Is it possible to have it converted to a single trigger (probably non- selective) ?, is that sort of conversion done ?

OR - is there anything out there that is similar in overall feel and within a reasonable price range that has a single trigger (preferably selective) with ‘kickers’ ?

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
Nasty-G
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Try Briley.

ROMAC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Keep practicing. It has gotten to the point where I prefer two triggers.

An original kautzky trigger would be really hard to find and expensive to install but it can be done and as suggested you could go to Briley or perhaps get a Miller. I'd keep looking for a single trigger Fox in the meantime.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

I can sympathize with you on that double trigger issue. There is big difference between being able to use double triggers and liking them better than single triggers. Before I found my AH Fox Special with the Kautsky single trigger, I was actively looking for a Fox Sterlinworth 16 ga with modern stock dimensions to send to Miller for their single trigger conversion. Life is too short to shoot a configuration just because the traditionalists insist it's the way it's done with SXSs. As far as a modern substitute goes, Fausti makes a single trigger DEA that is pretty nice and just feels right shooting it.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.millersingletrigger.com/services.html

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

do what I do .... I ALWAYS hit the front trigger 1st , even when thinking about it .... helps that my chokes are quite similar !! Smile Smile

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

I also usually hit my front trigger first. The real problem is when I use the one single trigger sxs that I own I have trouble when I reach for that front trigger and it is not there!

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

A friend recently sold a very nice Parker VH, 16 ga on a 0 frame, later production, high (restored) condition with the early tang safety-selector Miller single selective trigger.
He said he got $4000. A fair price for the gun.

Given a new Miller trigger goes for $1600 installed I would think long and hard about spending that kind of money putting one in a Sterly. You could probably get one of the Turkish guns or Spanish guns for less and still have the Sterly.

Your money and your gun, but....

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Bill K,

The problem is going to be that replacing the DT with an SST on the old Stirlingworth double gun is going to cost more than that particular gun is worth. If however the gun means a great deal to you, it can be done. Myself I prefer DT guns for Grouse hunting although I do have some fantastic L.C. Smith guns with SST also.

As was stated you might be better off just picking up another SST double gun, it will probably cost you less money in the long run.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

One of my #5 L.C. Smith guns with Hunter 1 Trigger.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:15 am  Reply with quote

The multi-talented Larry Schuknecht of Dutchman Wood Works had done reproductions of the Fox-Kautzky Single Selective Trigger --

http://dutchmanwoodworks.com/past-shotgun-restorations/

I got a 16-gauge Fox-Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland Game Gun with the Fox-Kautzky Single Selective trigger. Worked fine as long as I left it set to fire right/left. If I selected left/right when I pulled the trigger the left barrel would fire and when I released the trigger the right would fire!! I had Keith Kearcher convert it to double triggers. My 12-gauge Fox-Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland Game Gun, the vintage double skeet gun I shoot the best, is double trigger.

fourtown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:33 am  Reply with quote

And it is not a stupid question.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
And it is not a stupid question.

Totally agree, no simple answers. DTs are ideal…if you never wear gloves. DTs require more tactile feedback than SSTs but gloves inhibit that response, especially heavy cold weather gloves. Quick fix: Snip off the trigger finger from the glove. And pulling that rear trigger doesn’t feel the same as the front trigger. It’s just different.

On the other hand, SSTs come with their own problems. The SST switch on our Citori has three positions: Upper, lower, and jam. The best SST in the cabinet is the SKB 200 SxS, a simple button behind the trigger. You push it toward the barrel you want to fire. Has never failed but requires learning some muscle memory. I can switch barrels while I mount the gun. All in all, that SKB SST trigger might be the best answer.

B.
Bill K
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and support.

“How do you improve upon perfection” (my comment also applies to beautiful young women I see with grotesque tattoos).

The answer lies with me - simply I must get used to DTs period. Such as ‘how do you get to Carnegie Hall - “practice, practice, practice”.

And if I want a SXS with a SST and ejectors - then the quest begins.

BTW, the comment about the Citori SST is very true: upper, lower, and jam - I would have thought Browning wouldn’t tolerate a design flaw like that.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Bill K, one suggestion would be to get a couple of AZoom snap caps and practice with a dry firing drill. Quickly mount the gun, point at a target and pull the front trigger. then swing the gun 30-45degees to the right or left to another target and pull the bottom trigger.

Once you have mastered pulling front to back triggers, you can practice pulling the back trigger first and then the front trigger.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:54 am  Reply with quote

I know Nick can go click click with DT's in either order . He has practiced this for a long time . He can also go to pump guns and even bolt actions the same . Early on , he had a16ga bolt he used - click click ! Just a question of PRACTICE ! ... My Davis is very smooth/easy going front to back , just seems to grab your finger and hold on when back to front . Both barrels are about IC , so no real advantage . I know these guns can get into your head , but how often do you have trouble firing an auto or pump 2X !? Now on that issue , I've shot so much skeet over the yrs , that i can't shoot a pump more than 2X - go figure !