16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dumb question for the day
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:56 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

I definitely want a DT SXS double gun to Grouse and Woodcock hunt with, in most cases I like DT for all kinds bird hunting. However I do like the SST guns for shooting clays some times. With the DT gun a hunter gets instant selection of different chokes and different shells when he sets his gun up properly. Unfortunately many hunters never become proficient using the DT advantages, and use their front trigger 1st all the time. Once a hunter learns and uses the DT correctly, it is a big advantage in the Grouse woods.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:53 am  Reply with quote

My view on the issue is that like most things we deal with, they have evolved over the years as gunmakers and engineers have worked to simplify things and make the operation more intuitive for the operator. When I was first exposed to computers back in the 1970's, programming was done on punch cards that were fed into the machine and each card dictated a specific action, Then came tape reading computers (no stack of punch cards to get out of order), and then PC's with ever increasing user friendliness to the point almost everyone can easily navigate what used to be extremely complex. It became intuitive.

The double versus the single trigger discussion appears to pit tradition against intuitiveness and modernization. I hear variations of if you want it bad enough to practice till your fingers nearly bleed, you can then enjoy the perceived advantages of the double triggers, although some informal surveys I've read in shotgun and bird hunting books suggests that switching to the rear trigger is seldom required or done, admitting your experience may differ. The single trigger is intuitive, pick up the gun and go hunting, no trigger drills or anything else required.

In the end everyone will use the system they want to and I don't expect the double trigger crowd to make a run on single trigger guns, but please stop trying to convince the single trigger guys that they are somehow lacking due to their choice of how to initiate the firing sequence of a simple shotgun.

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:43 am  Reply with quote

That's a great post, Riflemeister. Think about all of the single trigger over & unders and zillions of repeaters in the field. They seem to get their birds. Never heard any of them say, "Damn, I wish this thing had double triggers!"

PCD, ruffed grouse hunting is where I value a double trigger the least. Most time you can't even see beyond 30 yards, and never much time to get that shot off. Pheasant hunting, especially in late season where shots seem to be either very long or very short is where I see the most value in a double trigger, but even that is questionable. I can think of maybe a couple times in the last 20 years where I went for the back trigger. Good hard shot holds a good pattern a long way.

I did quite an extensive customization of a Berretta 686 (12) and originally had double triggers installed. The geometry of the stock made them uncomfortable, and back to a selective-single trigger it went. Much more comfortable, and like Riflemeister says "intuitive." Takes an awful long bird to outrun an IC choke in a 12 gauge. The great thing about the gun is I retained the large double trigger trigger-guard. Wonderful pheasant gun all season.

All this is not to say I don't like double triggers, I do, and I'm competent with them. My favorite and best shooting all around gun has them. Are they a dealbreaker? Nope!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by MSM2019 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have no allegiance to really any config of shotgun - got em all covered . The only advantage I see to 2 triggers is that on any single trigger gun , if the gun doesn't fire on the pull , you are done . A bad primer in an auto - done . An FTF on a recoil double , done . Pump gun , maybe . 2 triggers - go to the 2nd trigger and dead bird . part of the deal with the Davis . Between Skeettx , 2 rebuilds by Byrdog , tape on the cases , round rubber bands on the cases etc , I get about 50% fire rate with that 1st barrel . 100% on the 2nd . I ALWAYS have that 2nd barrel .

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

DoubleVison,

I will let you in on the correct use of a DT for Grouse hunting and it has very little to due with how far a bird is from you as you gun the bird. When Grouse hunting here in our Pa mountains our family uses the 16 gauge DT (back trigger) for choosing high grade #6 shells, with a more closed choke from the 2nd barrel, to shoot thru the edges of big Hemlock trees and thick giant Grape Vines, to kill Grouse that a #8 from a C or IC choked 1st barrel, can not put down. Many Grouse hunters do not have the experience to use DT double guns correctly in the Grouse woods, it comes with a lot of experience. The same experience as understanding that the dog is the Grouse hunter, and the companion gunner is only along to pull the trigger when necessary. If a Grouse hunter is busting brush, his experience level for Grouse hunting is usually very low.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:32 am  Reply with quote

All I can do is smile.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:40 am  Reply with quote

DV,

Being that you live on the west coast your habitat is not quite the same as our Grouse habitat here in Pa, NY, NH, VT, & ME, it is likely that your need for a DT bird gun is different than ours.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:01 am  Reply with quote

PCD, the "West Coast of WI" means I live in western Wisconsin along the Mississippi River which is our western border. I'm in the Driftless Area.

Good hunting!
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
All I can do is smile.

Ditto Dave