16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My SxSs
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:39 am  Reply with quote

I too now only own single trigger SxS shotguns.

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I think I have 6 now , all DT's .

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am  Reply with quote

I have 11. 8 DT's and 3 ST's. The one that I am least familiar with (and hunt with infrequently) is the one with a single selective trigger. The other two ST's have mechanical triggers.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:46 am  Reply with quote

I have one of each.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Of the various trigger arrangements available to me, I find the least useful are the single select triggers where the selector also operate the safety- particularly the variations where a U shape is used,
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I've never owned or even shot a ST double.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Up here in the north single-triggers are much better once the mercury drops. Luv my double-triggers, but not so much when it's glove weather.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:57 am  Reply with quote

It can get pretty cold where I hunt too; so far I've made do. If it got so sold that these didn't work I'd probably just stay home by the fire Very Happy ...

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
It can get pretty cold where I hunt too; so far I've made do. If it got so sold that these didn't work I'd probably just stay home by the fire Very Happy ...

I've never liked those. I still get cold fingertips with them, and the pocket thingy just flops around. Weird gloves.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:54 am  Reply with quote

The pocket thingy sticks down with velcro; doesn't flop around. And obviously you just pull it back when you need to. Any gloves that really keep my hands warm are too bulky to shoot in anyway, single trigger or not, so anything I use is a compromise.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Phil, I have that exact pair of gloves. If the finger cover is back on the velcro I still get cold fingertips. If my fingers are covered it's way too slow and cumbersome to peel back on a flush. I don't even like them for ice fishing. For me they suck! Smile Glad you like yours. All good.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I wasn't trying to sell you, just opining that I have yet to find gloves that will actually keep my hands warm still allow me to shoot a shotgun like I want to, single trigger or not. These ain't great but they are one compromise; my shooting bag is full of others Very Happy . As you say, all good.

Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 am  Reply with quote

I have three 16-gauge doubles with single selective triggers. The only one I've blooded is the 1941 Ithaca NID No. 4E that I've shot Doves with. The other two are a 1937 vintage SP-Grade Fox and a 1941 vintage Winchester Model 21 Skeet Gun. I've only shot clay targets with them.

In my seventy-five years I can recall very few times I've been shooting when it was so cold I had to wear a glove on my right hand. Probably winter skeet in Alaska but then I was shooting Model 12s and a new Remington Model 3200.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:28 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Dave, I wasn't trying to sell you, just opining that I have yet to find gloves that will actually keep my hands warm still allow me to shoot a shotgun like I want to, single trigger or not. These ain't great but they are one compromise; my shooting bag is full of others Very Happy . As you say, all good.

I do OK with thin synthetic suede gloves like Mechanix, and they handle my double triggers pretty well until it gets really cold. Then I like a little more glove and it becomes an issue with DT's. I'm glad I have options.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
I'm glad I have options.

Me too.

Researcher wrote:
In my seventy-five years I can recall very few times I've been shooting when it was so cold I had to wear a glove on my right hand.

I don't really like to have any glove on my right hand. I take off whichever one I'm wearing as often as I can. Pockets work too Very Happy !