<  16ga. Guns  ~  My SxSs
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
double vision wrote:
I'm glad I have options.

Me too.

Researcher wrote:
In my seventy-five years I can recall very few times I've been shooting when it was so cold I had to wear a glove on my right hand.

I don't really like to have any glove on my right hand. I take off whichever one I'm wearing as often as I can. Pockets work too Very Happy !

Wish that were possible in my region, but it's not. Good hunting boys.
mcrewz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

I use something similar, when it’s real cold put on a cheap pair of those dark brown jersey gloves underneath and mine have a build in pocket on the mitt for one of those shakem up chemical heaters. If I’m still to cold I walk faster.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:10 am  Reply with quote

South Dakota, two years ago. We hunted in t-shirts and vests one day, the next day it was colder than the proverbial witch's breast, wind howling and a foot of snow on the ground. I'm not convinced that any gloves would have kept my hands warm that day; if they existed you couldn't have shot ANY gun with them on unless you took the trigger guard off. Maybe. If I'd been at home I'd have stayed there. I put on the warmest thin gloves I had and then tugged the heaviest I had on over them. Had to take the right one off at every shooting opportunity. A single trigger gun wouldn't have helped. Exceedingly unpleasant but I survived. Coldest I have ever been while hunting, and I've been pretty darn cold before. This is not to argue with anyone about the merits of single triggers; just to point out that this doesn't happen to me often enough that I feel the need to have one to keep my hands warm. Thankful for that.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

I wear gloves all the time from November through January while Chukar hunting, and have no issue with dt's. Then again, my gloves aren't giant mittens either.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

All my multibarrel guns have two triggers. Even the drilling with its three barrels!

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:57 am  Reply with quote

For pheasant hunting I use cross country ski gloves during the winter and they rarely interfere with my double triggers and they keep my hands pretty warm unless it is approaching the single digits. I have become a wimp in my old age and if it is below 8 degrees I don't venture into the pheasant fields or the XC ski trails. TOKO XC gloves work very well for me. Some gloves make the index finger too long and that creates a problem.
Good Hunting,
Mike
canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have about 15 or so SxS. All DT except the last one I bought. A Francotte 28 gauge. It was converted from DT and the sale included the original hardware.

I intended to immediately switch it back but I’m having some fun trying it out.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:04 am  Reply with quote

My favorite gloves are the SSG 0600 Rind N' Ranch, I not only use them for riding horses, but they also make a great glove for those chilly days in the grouse woods. Personally I prefer single trigger guns because I always seem to forget about the second trigger right when I really need to remember I have one. Missed a lot of birds forgetting about that rear trigger...

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

I didn’t need gloves, regardless of weather, until I was about 55. People thought I was a freak, but, I’m from here.

I have an O/U that has a single trigger. It was my Dad’s, he had a military injury that kept him from shooting double triggers, or, a straight stock. If it is going to be cold, say, anything under 20 degrees F, I use the O/U. Non selective single trigger, simple is good for a guy used to double triggers. Above 20 degrees, I can get by with a single glove on my non trigger hand. Usually.

I’m in a relearning phase right now, double triggers are a bit strange to get used to with my right paw, but, I am going to try, hard, to get it to work. I love my double trigger guns.

Best,
Ted

Jta5er
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Take a double trigger sub gauge gun dove hunting a couple times and the rest will be history. I’m like Ted no glove on trigger hand while bird hunting in the cold. But if it got bad I would cut finger off Jersey glove for trigger hand, done that deer hunting before. Even my o/u duck gun ( fias kasnnar beater) has 2 triggers. Use to use 10ga zabala but 12lbs got to be much for me now the desk jockey.

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Of 13 SXS guns, all double triggers save one M21 12ga.

I prefer double triggers, but have no real issues when shooting a single trigger.

I believe it is ultimately what you are used to using.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have a factory ST EE grade Lefever 12 on layaway, for use mostly as a dedicated clays gun, and also because it's a steel barreled gun that only weighs 6lbs 6oz, so I can use it for upland as well. After shooting at a trap event today where barrel selection was a huge factor due to increasing ranges, I'm not sure I made a good decision getting the EE. I guess we'll see.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Old colonel2 wrote:
I believe it is ultimately what you are used to using.

Exactly! If I practiced more with my double trigger guns, I would not be so forgetful of that rear trigger.

All of my double trigger guns have a shorter LOP than more modern guns, which seems common in those small frame doubles of the first part of the 20th century.

I have rarely had an issue with “Back Trigger Finger” but I believe that is why a lot of people wear gloves or pad the back of the trigger guard. But basically they are holding the gun incorrectly. I do it too sometimes, when I forget what I have in my hands, but usually I just forget about the rear trigger because 97% of my shooting is done with single trigger guns, which most often I’m only firing a single shot.

Practice, practice, practice…