16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dog barking at night
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have a new 4 1/2 month old German Shorthair that I have had for 4days. He is a great dog except he barks at night in his kennel. I have neighbors so this is a problem. I have never had a dog do this before, they have always been quiet. He is out there by himself. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
df
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I’m not a dog guy but have had some heated discussions with neighbors with their late night barking dogs.
There is something that’s called a bark collar. It’s sound (bark) activated that sends a mild shock to the dog. Don’t know their effectiveness.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have never left my dogs in a kennel when puppies, the have always slept next to me

Some dogs need to be next to their people more than others.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

frenchbrit,

Bring the pup into the house and put him in a flight kennel when you go to bed, 4 1/2 months is way to young for the pup to be alone in an outside kennel. Most pups need human contact.

good luck,

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

frenchbritt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 am  Reply with quote

My pup is 4 1/2 months old. sorry for misunderstanding. I tried bark collar and lowest setting dog barked through it and next setting up he squalled. I guess I will wait him out and hope he will out grow it. Thanks
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Everyone's situation is different, but it would be great if you could bring him in the house overnight at least for his first year. I believe it results in a better dog overall. Just my two cents.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:01 am  Reply with quote

A barking dog is one heck of a curse and best addressed quickly. The training is easiest when the dog is young and bad habits have not become ingrained. The best way I know of, and it has always worked very well for me, is to immediately go to the dog and hold its mouth shut while telling it "NO". A dog can not stand to have its mouth held shut and it knows precisely what it did wrong. There is no need to be rough when you do this. My previous dog got the message with only a thumb and index finger holding her mouth shut.

The key is to be consistent and not delay at all, even if it means a lot of hikes out to the kennel. Go every time. This will result in a short learning curve and quickly establish good behavior traits.

It has been written that there is a 7 second window for correcting a dog and it may be necessary to holler "NO" before trotting down there and reinforcing the command with hand around muzzle. When I was in college, we kept the dog down by the barn and it was quite an inconvenience to hike down there, especially after everyone went to bed, but I did it every time and the problem soon went away.

I prefer this to using a bark collar (although this is a good backup when the dog is unattended) because I want the dog to mind it's manners rather than the collar. Some dogs will be angels until the moment a bark collar is removed then become the four legged incarnation of the devil himself.

Be consistent and your dog will learn that barking is only for intruders.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:02 am  Reply with quote

I'm Irish , had an Irish Beagle .... Beagle won out and slept with me for 13.5 yrs !!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:14 am  Reply with quote

FrenchBrit,

Waiting him out will not make you popular with your neighbors for sure.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:10 am  Reply with quote

Frenchbrit
Quite sympathetic with your dilemma. Wyochukar has the correct bottom line for you but here are a couple simple things to try:

Bed him down at night in a portable kennel outside next to your back door so he can sense you inside. Bring it inside at night (if the authorities permit) for a few weeks, then ease it outside when he grows comfortable with it. 4 1/2 months is still a young pup.

Exercise him hard during the day and give him a big dinner at night to make him sleepy and want to bed down.

Put a small light or doghouse heater element in his outside kennel. The kennel must be a comfortable secure refuge for him.

German Shorthairs have a natural sweet disposition which you want to preserve, but they have can have a one track mind, so some care and effort will likely be required. A remote shock collar might have some effect but only as a last resort, as it could backfire in very unwanted ways.

Best of Luck
B.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:34 am  Reply with quote

He's 4 1/2 months and in a strange place. He's only been there 4 days. The pooch is scared, confused, and lonely. If you possibly can bring him in at night and let him get used to his new home (kennel ) during the day. If this isn't possible try putting a walky talky in the kennel and talk to him. Might be easier then trips out to him.
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Good advice as always. I will bring Bo in at night and try him outside during the day and work him in gradually. He is such a great dog and quick learner. I can't wait till Nov. 1 here in Missouri.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

I think the best advice was given by Pine Creek Dave. Move the pup in at night. If he barks then, it will be easier to correct. I have had beagles my whole life and I never liked having a single pup. I preferred to have a pair or three. They behave better living with a partner. In your case, I would become the pups partner. I do not like a bark collars especially on a young pup. The key element in training a dog is being smarter than the dog...

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:27 am  Reply with quote

I am on my 3rd GSP. They have that big personality, tougher than tough and no off switch but they need some human interaction. I have raised all my dogs (Brit's included) inside using a crate. They usually whine the first night or two and once comfortable it stops. A couple of trips to the kennel using Wyochukar's method is important. It corrects the dog and also let's the dog know you are there.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:08 am  Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention, a useful trick Dad used to employ for pups suffering anxiety is to place a wind up alarm clock near the dog at night. The rhythmic tick-tock, tick-tock has an abnormal calming affect on them. However, do not place it in the kennel. When we did that with Katie, she ate the thing piece by piece (she loved plastic).