16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Quality.
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I'm especially appreciating my Crispi 10 in hunting boots as I work thru a case of dropfoot. Theyre the only boots that are making it possible for me to be out bird hunting right now.
Cant remember how many years ago Dad gave me his Pendleton blanket coat with a sheep wool lining after he'd had it for maybe 10 years. Has to be over 20 easy. Still looks great and get compliments every time I wear it.
I've always been appreciative of the craftsmanship that the American gun makers put into even their basic field grade guns. I have 3 LC's from 1925-1940, a 20,16 and 12ga.
All field grade FW's. Just love the sound they make when closing. A 1940 Ithaca M37 20 ga and a 1935 NID 16 ga are also prized possessions that I got from members here.

I've always believed the saying quality costs but quality pays.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

Ah, yes! Pendleton wool shirts! I have several that I’ve picked up at thrift stores over the years for $3 or less. Beautiful colors and timeless construction. I always wonder who owned them before me. I think I’ll pull one out tomorrow - Wisconsin weather has turned damp and chilly and Pendleton wool is just the antidote.

8mmFan
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

I like to buy quality stuff that will stand the test of time. Some items that have impressed me:
Klein Tools - the absolute best and made right here in Chicago.
Russel Boots - I still have my 1st pair and they are 32 years old
Filson clothing - It just never seems to wear out
Orvis gear or clothing - It has stood the test of time for me
Old English shotguns - The youngest one I have was made in 1911.
Good Hunting,
Mike
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

I like Filson stuff, too. I can remember when it wasn’t all the rage, and the prices on it were pretty normal. About 30 years ago, as a young bachelor without much cash living in Chicago, I went into a store in, I think, the Old Orchard mall north of the city. Don’t remember the name of the store, but I was attracted to a Filson strap-style fly-fishing vest that was, I believe, $30 at the time. I bought it, and that led to the strap-style upland vest. I think I got it for maybe $45 or $50. Still have them both and they are still going strong.

Crazy - lived in Chicago for 13 years, off and on, and I’ve never heard of Klein tools. I’ll be on the lookout!

8mmFan
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:40 am  Reply with quote

8mmFan wrote:
A couple more, just because I just thought of them:

The Filson wide-brim “packer?” hat
The MSR Whisperlite stove
Wellco USMC “RAT” boots
The old “ALICE” pack
Old houses built with solid foundations and plaster & lathe walls

+1

I bought a 1914 bungalow and love its charm and character. Yes, the plumbing and electrical and other things needed updating, but all houses need work, even newer ones. It has vinyl siding that someone installed about ten years ago, and it's wavy from the heat. Just ugly. So I ripped it off, revealing the original lapstrake wood underneath. I'm in the process of restoring it, and it will be one of the nicer houses around when I'm done. Fun project, but then, I like restoring things. Old houses, old guns...good stuff.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:12 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

I have to agree with you I restored our 100 plus year old home in Churchill, Pa. Updated the plumbing, electric and did a lot of repairs on the old wood sided home, that somebody in the 60's put aluminum siding on. The original wood was just incredible, and matching it's did have it challenges. My brother who is the coorperate wood purchaser at 84 Lumber was able to have the wood matched for me when I restored the old tung and groove oak roofing. We had to completely remove the slate roofing shingles however, and go with conventional roofing shingles. Replaced the old gravity furnace and duct work also, it all came out quite nice and we just sold the home this past year, to move in to our big ranch house. The old house was built like a fort with big 12" X 12" beam work, no modern house could match it for construction materials. Our current brick ranch house was built in 1950 and was completely upgraded before we moved in with new everything including Kitchen, air conditioning, furnace & wood flooring along with a big picture window that looks over the mountains. No modern built home can really match it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Growing up in PA, one of the words of wisdom I picked up was "you want to buy the house with a slate roof. It had to be built strong to hold all that weight."

On MSM2019's point, he's correct in large part. Modern metallurgy, materials science, and overall engineering, as well as scientifically collected experience being fed back into design and manufacturing, have made today's products into higher average quality than ever before. One can buy, relatively inexpensively, products which are as good or better than the average products of years past.

This does not, however, obtain for everything. Two examples:
A lot of today's products have the benefit of today's tech but have had the beancounters weigh in, looking for ways to cut materials manufacturing time/effort, or reshape things just a little to make them fit into shipping packages better. Somehow stuff always seems to break at the places the beancounters got their way.

A gunsmith friend was telling me how some makers of fine guns were having no end of problems with leaf springs breaking. In days of old, the springs were filed to shape, stoned and all that to reach final shape, springiness, etc. That was a load of hand work by seriously skilled artisans and quite expensive. Modern methods came along to replace most, if not all, of that hand work with EDM (electrical discharge machining) that saved hours and hours of skilled labor, probably replacing it with just some final touch-up and inspection. What they didn't count on and what was breaking the springs was the fact the EDM left thousands of little stress risers and a microscopically rough - corrugated - surface. Filed and stoned were as smooth as smooth could be - the old file guys were tested as apprentices on their ability to make suction fits on their filed parts. In use, those stress risers conspired to break the springs again and again.

Sometimes old is still better.

BTW, my Baltimore closes with a thunk, like the proverbial bank vault. All circa 1900 hand work.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Agree with all of the above. Good qualities are good qualities, whether made 100 years ago or today. I’m a big fan of Gore-tex in some applications, for example. I’m also a big fan of my 1911, too, but if I had to face the next 50 years with one, and only one, pistol, I’d probably give it up, in favor of my polymer Springfield XD. Better is better whether it’s a new design or a classic.

8mmFan
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

When I was a boy everybody tried to purchase American made, and most of the items we purchased were quality made, in the 70's things changed and we became a throw away society. Some how the younger generations no longer cared about quality only the cheap cost of a product. Nothing has been the same sense that time, our fathers and grand fathers and for the most part our Viet Nam generation, remembered the wars they fought to keep us free, and purchased mainly American made, unfortunately its not the case any more. Quality long lasting items are far and few between and cost big money now. Me I am very disappointed in our modern throw away society. Sure there are some new thing made better, however for the most part it's not true. Its one the the reasons most all my guns are over 100 years old and most are American made.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:39 am  Reply with quote

It wasn't the American people that asked that things were made cheap in 3rd world countries, or have we forgotten Mr. Nixon sending Mr. Kissinger to China? Kissinger didn't go there because the American people wanted China to take over their manufacturing jobs. Being blue collar all my life I can promise you that. The bottom line was more profit for the same item by the CEO's of many American companies.

As far as older shotguns, many folks like the nostaglia and the lines of old S x S's, which are very attractive, and in many cases well made. But they weren't all as well made as folks like to think. There are still some very well made shotguns in the configurations, weights and niceties that folks would want, but they are probably not made in the USA. Which does not mean they aren't quality shotguns, just shotguns that some folks wouldn't buy.

Sorry to say but this world is now much more "linked together" (for better or worse) than it was back in the 20's, 30's, 40's and so on. We all depend on other countries products a lot more than we ever have. If we didn't, our country would have come to a screeching halt a long time ago.

Just remember that the keyboard we are all pounding on and the computer or other electronics that keyboard is hooked up to, most likely has nothing to do with "Made in the USA"......unfortunately.

What would you rather depend on, maintain and drive on a daily basis a 1956 pickup or a 2021 pickup? If you said 1956 than you have forgotten an awful lot or maybe never experienced a 1956 pickup. Other than easier to work on, which it had to be, there is nothing to recommend it but nostalgia. (BTW, I grew up with a Dad that was and still is a car nut. He started with a 40 Chevy coupe, than more than a few 1956 Chevy's to 1962 & 1969 Corvettes. All which he completely restored, with his own hands. He is still driving a 1998 'Vette at 88 years old. So I do appreciate old cars, goodness knows I have worked on enough of them as a young guy out of high school for his first full time job. I just acknowledge their limitations.)

Not everything old is good and that does include some of our ideas.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Just to set the record straight, I buy everything I can with the "Made in USA" label. Ask my wife, I drive her crazy sometimes.......well make that MOST times!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry for the hijack, but some of the posts..........

BWW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019,
What's the matter don't want to drive around in an "appliance" with wheels?
As an old car guy, I am in your corner.

Bob
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

BWW, Nope I like the fact that my pickup has 106000 miles on it. With the exception of a new battery, no major repairs, original everything but the tires, lubricants and filters.

BWW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Cool!
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:33 am  Reply with quote

occasionally , I entertain myself trying to buy "American" parts for the 89 Bronco 11 in the driveway .... not much success !! For a while , had an 78 Ford F100 - best darn truck ever - Had to climb into the compartment to work on it , which was nearly never in 300K miles !