16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Electronically Posted Lands
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

I just downloaded the onX Hunt app and looked at the areas in N Dak where some of my kinfolk live. I was surprised to see how much land was labeled “Electronically Posted Land”. On some areas it was close to 100 percent. Evidently landowners are closing off hunting access to their properties. Doesn’t particularly bode well for visiting hunters.

Also quite impressed with the onX app itself. The satellite maps are much more current than Google and Apple Maps. It’s already my go to map source for hunting and other uses.

B.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

I live with the onX app, there is a lot you can do with it, depending on how OCD you are about hunting.

Electronically posted, well a great number of those properties were already physically posted. Not too much has changed.......yet. At least not in my area.

The issue is if the signs are gone and hunters don't know about the electronic posting......a person could be in for a surprise.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

I own a reasonable amount of land in the UP, it’s not in CFA/CFR/CFL whatever you want to call it, and I don’t want people hunting on my land. It was interesting how many neighbors came out of the woodwork when I had the survey done and started throwing up no trespassing signs.

I have the nicest neighbors, and everybody is super respectful of everyone else’s land.

Cross county skiing? Snowmobiling to your friends house? Snowshoeing? And we’re neighbors? Sure!

Hunting? Cutting my trees? Logging my land? ATV’s? Absolutely not!!!!

The problem is everyone else, which is why more and more people are pulling their land out of public access and making it private again.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:19 am  Reply with quote

nj GSP,

Trespassing/Poaching has been bad here in Potter/Tioga, Pa for quite some time now. Had to post our land a few years back and install a big gate on Powder Horn Lane. It did help keep everyone out. I did feel bad doing it, however now we have very few problems with 4 wheelers and poachers. We do have great neighbors here that watch over our property, alone with the ever present camera security systems.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Some neighbors have put up “no atv” and “not an atv route” signs and surprisingly that has worked pretty well to keep the vehicles out.

The property that borders my land to the south is CFL, so it’s public use, but there are some subdivided vacant lots along the road that are private (and all owned by the same guy), so the publicly accessible land is not accessible. So basically it’s mine to use, but I don’t. I have more than enough of my own land to hunt without going on the neighboring property.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have always respected other peoples property, I hunt private property only when permission is given and expect others to now due the same. It was our tradition here in Pa to allow hunting unless the land was posted, we had to put up the no Trespassing signs a few years ago because of the 4 wheelers and the out of season poaching.

Please ask now, it seems sportsman are not the same any more, especially those from out of state, it is a shame that I need to post our lands.

all he best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by MSM2019 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:33 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

The land does not belong to everyone, private property rights are the bed rock of American society. The land belongs to those who have settled it long ago or purchased it.

Always ask for permission before entering another person private property to hunt. Even when our Pa tradition was to hunt non posted land I liked to find the owner and ask his permission, sometimes however it is almost impossible to find the owners to ask. When this is the case, we now stay off of the land, the answer becomes no.

We also now have the hunting clubs leasing large tracts of forest that use to be open for hunting here in Potter County, in a lot of ways I do not like this situation at all. However a land owner has the right to due with his land as he wishes. However if this is done Potter County law taxes the land in a different manner, if you post your land for no hunting, you must pay City & School taxes on it, instead of rural farming Taxes. This helps keep the land open for permission to hunt, the land owner then has the option as to just whom is allowed permission on the land. The land is not posted for hunting. Trespass laws are completely different, actually outside the game laws, enforced by the county sheriff.

Fortunately we have our State Games Lands (SGL) and our State Forest Lands (SFL) that make up a vast majority of hunting lands here in Pa.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man