16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Does any other dog have this same problem I did today?
Sadiemr26
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

I am a four year old Brittany, today I might have to find a new companion to hunt with. Last year the pheasant season was worse than I ever saw in my three years of pointing for my owner. I found only two roosters last year, Ran my tail off for those two birds. My owner was really on top of it. I found him two pheasants and he shot them both, mo misses. My first year I pointed several for him and he shot 31 roosters, what a great year that was.

I took my owner with me every day during the off season while I trained. I swam in a pond five nights a week, practiced blind retrieves, walking mile after mile trying to get my owner in shape.

Here was my day today..... it was opener in Nebraska, I had trained all summer for this day, start of season...... I so wanted to find him some birds, since last year was bad only finding two and hunting three days a week for a whole season.

My owner was also excited to start a new year determined it couldn't be any worst than last year. But wait..... I think it could. Here was my day.

When we finally arrived at our private property we have permission to hunt on. My owner got my collar on, my vest. Next he put his vest on, got his model 12 16 gauge out and loaded up,..... excitement was building up. I wanted to get down and start hunting for birds..... Yes the season started.... My owner looked at me and said Sadie find the birds, at last I was off. Sniffing for any sign of birds.

Two hours into the morning and I have yet to found the scent of any birds, was this going to be a repeat of last year. I ran for miles desperately trying to find my owner and me some birds. My owner whistled lets try a new spot. Oh no I thought here we go again another bummer year, Me and my owner trained hard this summer. I needed to prove to him I could find birds.

My owner drove me to the new spot. Again here I was panting heavily to get out and hunt, I was exited. He opened the door and off I went to find him some birds. Finally not two hundred yards from the truck I went on solid point I found the pheasant, I knew I would. Now it was up to my owner to walk in flush the bird shoot and I'll retrieve our quarry.... He walked in pheasant jumped up started to fly I was watching to see where it would fall when he shot.... it didn't fall, crud what my owner missed. Wait a second one got up right next to where the first got up. Yes we will have a pheasant. At the shot I ran waiting for the birds to drop... what he missed that one also. If I could only talk.

I looked over at my owner, what gives, they were right there, you missed. Lets go follow me I will find you more. We walked for another 15 minutes when I stopped I scented another bird. I was locked on, picture perfect I had trained all preseason just for this moment, I was showing it, I was great. My owner walked in slowly, I didn't budge I had him a bird. Up the bird went cackling I was watching for it to fall I took off at the shot, the bird was still going what he missed again..... Three for three. Oh I gave him the look... we walked a ways more. I found it another birds. This was number four, twice as many as we had seen all last year I was locked on I knew he would get this one...... my owner walked in me right at his side ready to retrieve. The bird flushed making that great sound... I was off watching my bird. What it kept flying I heard a shot. Not again he missed. Four for four.... missed.

So there it is. We dogs train all summer just for this, we put in hundreds of miles walking keeping our stamina up. And this is what I get for all the hours of training.... I am at home sitting here, my four legs are sore, my pads are tender. For what, no birds. No pheasant pizza for tonight. Guess instead of me getting trained through out the year my owner needs to practice more at trap.

So is a dogs life. If this is how the season is going to go I might be looking for a new owner that can get me some birds.
Tukudu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful story.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Maybe next week there will be shot in the shells. Happens to the best of us. Sad
Tukudu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful story.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Sadlemr26,

Real nice story from the dogs point of view, great stuff!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers