16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Recoil Pad Recommendation
kjack
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:02 am  Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/a/KiqUtAF

My M12 16ga, full opened to IM, has an older pad that is starting to stiffen up. Ballistol seems to help. After this season, I will be visiting my gunsmith for a replacement.

I have no experience with Kick-Eze but I read a bit knocking overall durability. I’m leaning towards a classic Winchester red pad (or clone)

Recoil is not an issue but stock length/fit is. I like a slightly longer stock and the add-on leather seems to work well. The red pad will definitely be thinner but I do not want to add a wood extension so grandson can have something to start with (and he is left-handed like me so my replacement safety will be useful for him).

Suggestions?

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:33 am  Reply with quote

From a pure fit to shoulder standpoint, the kick-eze Rocker pad is my favorite. It just sits in the shoulder pocket repeatedly to the right place for me.

On a classic gun, I’d lean toward a solid red rubber pad, though. One could contour a solid rubber pad to a very similar profile if desired.
win7stw
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:49 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
On a classic gun, I’d lean toward a solid red rubber pad, though. One could contour a solid rubber pad to a very similar profile if desired.

Couldn't agree more

Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Make sure you take weight into consideration. Some pads can drastically throw off the balance of a gun and add quite a bit of weight.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:56 am  Reply with quote

Should a lightweight pad be desired I have found Cervellati pads to be excellent.

https://www.qldgunexchange.com/products/cervellati-microcell-leather-effect-recoil-pad-15mm-thick-80mm-hole-space-black

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=49
kjack
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great comments/tips.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:01 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
From a pure fit to shoulder standpoint, the kick-eze Rocker pad is my favorite. It just sits in the shoulder pocket repeatedly to the right place for me.

Browning puts a rounded toe/heel pad on their A5 Sweet Sixteen, looks pretty non-traditional but apparently the masses are not objecting to it. Haven't shot one of the type, but sounds like the Kick-eez Rocker migtht be worth trying out.

sdroosterman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I like the kickeez rocker pad myself, but if you want a color other than black, Pachmayr Decelerator pads come in colors, including a nice reddish brown- or at least they used to. They are also available in more than one thickness, at least for some colors.
sdroosterman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I like the kickeez rocker pad myself, but if you want a color other than black, Pachmayr Decelerator pads come in colors, including a nice reddish brown- or at least they used to. They are also available in more than one thickness, at least for some colors. They are also fairly light pads.
sdroosterman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:30 am  Reply with quote

I like the kickeez rocker pad myself, but if you want a color other than black, Pachmayr Decelerator pads come in colors, including a nice reddish brown- or at least they used to. They are also available in more than one thickness, at least for some colors. They are also fairly light pads.
df
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

I like Pachmayer and have them on several shotguns and rifles. They make many styles and sizes
m31rem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

I llike the pachmayr decellerator. Many thickness and sizes available. I also like the brown on shotguns..just seens to go with nice wood.
m31rem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

I llike the pachmayr decellerator. Many thickness and sizes available. I also like the brown on shotguns..just seens to go with nice wood.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:43 am  Reply with quote

I might think about a pad type that has a series of widths .... much diff length of pull shooting clays during summer and birds at this time of yr in the blowing snow !

fyd16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:36 am  Reply with quote

In my experience, Kickeze pads are soft and absorb recoil better than most. The downside is that they can take a set if stored in a safe upright for long periods of time and I think they are a little harder for the gunsmith to achieve a nice finish. Many people like them. For a hunting gun, I would go with Pachmayr or a more traditional red rubber Winchester reproduction pad which I have on my M12 16ga. Good luck.