16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ramblings mostly about nothing
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

So for the last few weeks I have been trying to ween myself away from my beloved Rem 1100 16 ga. and shooting a Citori, which has been more or less a train wreck. The last 3 birds with the Citori were miss, miss and a cripple which ended in a lost bird. Totally unacceptable, especially the cripple.

Yesterday, I went back to my 1100, 3 pheasants and a hun with no fanfare, no bs, and most importantly no cripples.

Today Marty goes on point, rooster gets up maybe a 30 yard shot, bang, bird goes down dead......Marty is on his way for the retrieve....... but damn it why can't I get a replacement shell in the magazine....what the h***. Broke the snap ring on the interceptor latch and the broken piece is now holding the shell lifter down and the bolt open....no big deal........uh oh......where ya going to get one of those, in a hurry?

No problem I have an old 12 gauge 1100 that I don't use, I'll steal the snap ring from that.

Well I forgot that I gave that one to a buddy a few years back.......uh oh.

Then I remembered that I replaced the action spring, firing pin, firing pin spring and the interceptor latch spring a few years back......as I opened the box of used parts, two brand new snap rings were sitting right on top still in the package from Brownell's.

Sometimes stuff just goes right.

But I was sweatin' it.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Well done and well written
Mike

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Second part of my ramblings......

I have never had Sharptail until tonight. Had a lot of folks tell me that they didn't like it, too strong, too dry, too whatever.

Well my wife bought me a nice recipe book that is all about upland game.

The cook was real simple, hot pan, clarified butter, salt and pepper......really good.

I have hesitated to try sharptail, not any more. It is wonderful. Probably not as good as hungarian partridge.......but excellent table fare.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

But what about progress on the Citori?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

The safest place for the Citori is in the gun safe. I'll have to figure that gun out on clays.

df
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:03 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
But what about progress on the Citori?

That was my thought. We all have our preferences, but I shoot my 16 ga citoris very well.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
That was my thought. We all have our preferences, but I shoot my 16 ga citoris very well.

Yeah, I am sure, but I don't and it isn't like I don't shoot it other times of the year at clays. Even at sporting or 5 stand I struggle with it at times. I believe that I don't get it mounted consistently enough. I have even had an adjustable comb put on the Citori that helped but didn't solve the entire problem.

I have 4 shotguns that I can be consistent with a Beretta Onyx -12, Benelli SS - 12, 1100- 16 and 870 - 16. The purists will love this but the shotgun I shoot the best is the Benelli SS with the composite stock. It's kinda sorta too long with the 30" barrel to carry for hunting, But I have toyed with the idea just for something to do one day Laughing Laughing Laughing

I can hear the puckering all the way to ND.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:14 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

It sounds like the Browning Citori does not fit you correctly. You may need to have it fitted to your needs. Most men will shoot a Citori real well when the gun fits them correctly. However if the LOP is to long it can cause problems, especially while bird hunting.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:15 am  Reply with quote

My 12 gauge Onyx and the 16 gauge 1100 were fit by a professional. The Onyx stock was bent for a bit more drop and 1/4" of cast off, shortened and a Kick Eez pad added. The 1100 was re-inletted for more drop and 1/4" of cast, shortened and a Kick Eez pad added.

I patterned my Benelli SS and adjusted the stock to hit the same 60/40 pattern as the Onyx and 1100. I re-inletted the 870 stock to shoot 50/50 as I use it almost exclusively for turkey hunting.

The SS has the longest LOP at 14 1/4" the other three are 13 7/8". All 4 have pistol grip style stocks. With a more pronounced pistol grip the SS needs a bit more length.

The Citori is right at 14" but maybe with the round knob style grip I could shorten it a 1/4" or maybe even 3/8". If I mount the other shotguns and go directly to the Citori it does 'feel' longer to me and my head is definitely a bit farther back than the other shotguns mentioned. It is definitely an inconsistent mount issue. I just never bothered to do a side by side mounting of different shotguns against the Citori. Yes I do like a short LOP, a long LOP has always been a disaster. Maybe that is exactly what is wrong here.

You might have something there Dave......seems like a winter project for the 5 stand league. Thanks for the suggestion. Pretty funny, as soon as I read your post, the light went on and I had all 5 shotguns out.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:55 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

When we were teaching grouse gunning at the Nemacolin Shooting Academy, most of the time the men having problems with their Browning Citori shooting, had LOP's that were to long for their hunting. The guns did not fit them correctly, I hope my suggestion about the LOP eliminates your problems, most times it's simply the fit.

I would have a good stock maker rework your LOP once you determine what you need to have done.

Having a perfect gun mount with a gun that fits you correctly is most important when shooting live birds. Practice gun down safe on starting position, when shooting clays to achieve the proper muscle memory, gun up safe off is a looser for shooting live birds, especially Grouse & Woodcock.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Our Citori 28/20 Combo gun.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Tukudu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Go to Project Upland site and look for "Two Track Taco " recipe. Prepare and cut as they suggest .....once you try you will put sharpies on top of list. Tom
Tukudu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Go to Project Upland side and look for "Two Track Taco" recipie. Cut and prepare, you will not be disappointed.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Tukudu,

I get Project Upland and I will look for that article thanks!!

Tukudu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Tukudu,

I get Project Upland and I will look for that article thanks!!

You may have to google Project upland and the search for Two Track Tacos, I think it's an older recipient but it's worth it.