16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ramblings mostly about nothing
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:27 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 -- 30" too long on a double? A double with 30 inch barrels is about the same overall length as a repeater with a 28-incher. Would I be right to assume you've got 28" barrels on your 1100 and 870?

And then some will say, "but yeah . . . there are TWO of those 30-inchers out there". But consider a repeater -- pump or auto. Consider the magazine tube with at least two shells in it, a forend with various hardware under it to cycle the action, plus the barrel and two or three more inches of "action" ahead of the trigger. The weight and moment of inertia of that is usually greater than that of the equivalent portions of a double (O/U or SxS) with two more inches of barrel -- unless we're talking about doubles with extra long and massive frames such as the Winchester Model 21.

Some shotgun barrels might be undesirable on the basis of being too heavily built, but barrels on doubles are only "too long" for me when they start dragging on the ground when I carry the gun across my forearm with the action open. Yeah, I'm short and 32-inchers start to become a problem. Laughing
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:47 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poS2y6Cgj] [/URL]

I like 30" 16 gauge guns.

Nothing like the afterglow of a great South Dakota trip. Very Happy
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Apparently, you folks don't know what a Benelli SS is with a 30" barrel.

On the left is the 1100 - 16 with a 28" barrel at 48 1/4" OAL. In the middle is the Benelli SS with a 30" barrel at 52 1/2" OAL. On the right is a Browning Citori 16 with 28" barrels at 46" OAL, if you went back to the flush mount chokes it would be 44 5/8".

That Benelli is longer than most 32" sporting clays guns unless you have a very long LOP. It is very close to being as long as some 34" barreled sporting guns.

Trust me when I say that the Benelli is just a bit too long for many hunting situations. You aren't going to flop it over your arm and walk through a cattail slough, hunt woodcock or ruffed grouse....FWIW it weighs in at exactly 8 lbs.

\
The 1100 is perfect (for me) at 28". The Citori is fun to carry with 28" barrels, but I wish they were 30".

I would love to have a 30" O/U in 16 gauge for hunting, but for Sporting Clays I would want 32" barrels.

If you are wondering, the 5 gallon bucket of water is for the dogs........GSP's aren't allowed to drink in the house!!

Last edited by MSM2019 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:12 am  Reply with quote

I never shot my Citori very well either , I am sure the LOP was to long. I really don't have much use for 2 barrel guns with a single trigger , so it made the decision to pass on it that much easier .
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:24 am  Reply with quote

1100's , gotta love em , gotta hate em !! The barrel rest bar on my 28 mag tube broke free a couple yrs ago . Talked to Rem and they did a refurb for 103 bucks - just before Rem broke up . A completely redone 28 for 103 bucks !! (reblue included ) Got a spare pickle (joins the bolt to the recoil spring in the stock) and a couple other parts and feel good about as long as I'll shoot it !! ... I think the problem with the Browning is just balance / swing speed . Just had a kid this AM put his Citori away and pull out an 1100 - smoothed him right out . Doesn't take much change to affect you a lot !! .... jealous of you being able to play with eating Sharpies !!(or any other bird for that matter !)

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:25 am  Reply with quote

sorry !

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:48 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

I wish Beretta would make a 16 gauge O/U. That Citori would be down the road in a heartbeat.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:06 am  Reply with quote

I never did find a 16 gauge OU that worked out for me. It wasn't for a lack of trying. 2 Merkel 200E's, 2 Citoris, 1 Belgian, 1 Chapuis, and i'm probably forgetting a couple. if i were to try again it would definitely be a 30" FAIR.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:05 am  Reply with quote

A friend's son bought a B. Rizinni BR110 in 12 ga. 28" barrel. Not a fancy gun but a solid gun for sure. I shot it a few times as we were on the same winter skeet team. I liked it a lot. Never shot a F.A.I.R.

The issue for me is I have guns that I shoot well, as in I made it to AA in the NSCA and I wasn't shooting fluff club, skeet in the woods or charity events with 25 shooters in attendance. So do I REALLY want to work at scrapping what I have with those shotguns to figure out the flavor of the month.......so far I haven't been willing to give up what I know for what might be. The old bird in the hand......

My hesitancy comes from the experience of knowing what works and what doesn't and also knowing that there aren't any secrets. So learning how to shoot short light shotguns is going to be w-o-r-k that I am only semi-interested in investing.

That's why the Comp16 from Rizini has my interest. Not a light whippy little shotgun and it is adjustable with comb and rib options.

Let's face it short light shotguns are great for carrying, but......shoot 200+ clays a day and then tell me how great they are. I have done it with the Citori, but it is right on the edge with 1 oz. loads.

And yes, I want a shotgun I can use for both hunting and clays and not feel like I am giving away much on a clays course.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:35 am  Reply with quote

i'm kinda in your boat with my 1100 , but in a completely different way . Had the covid thing this past summer , about killed me , haven't been able to shoot the heavier guns as of yet . My little 28 1100 is tricked out for light weight . Had an add-a -rib made for it , but took that weight off also . Even with the hollow stock , shaved fore-end , it still shoots the best for me at skeet (300 grn loads) . Shot the 12's and reg wt 20's I had well , just didn't fall in love ..... If I were you , I'd probably sneak the O/U's back into the cabinet , and shoot the crap outta your 1100's - they are always so easy to shoot ! (I was thinking you probably could swap parts from one ga to the other , but I could NOT do that with 870's - just the slightest bit of fitting needed ) Parts are tough to find right now .

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Clearly, Mark, you've gone to "great lengths" to improve your shooting! +++ Smile

Cheers!
Tony
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Tony,

Yeah I did go to great lengths....with that Benelli!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

and I still take a lesson now and then, when I don't like the way things are going. Got an NSCA Level 3 Instructor an hour away.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

May did her job and I did mine......with the over weight, built on a 12 gauge receiver, automaybe 1100. Screw messing around with these other shotguns. Haven't missed a bird since I went back to the 1100-16. I did pull the trigger twice once though....... when I doubled on these Huns today.

I saw the covey of huns (where these came from) back in September on a piece of public land, they were very young birds and I never pulled the trigger. I figured by now they would be gone as I have seen way too many vehicles parked there and a bunch of orange hats out hunting that piece. There were about 15-16 birds in the original covey. When I found them today it didn't seem like there were any less birds in that covey. I'm good, I'll leave the rest for next year.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Apparently, you folks don't know what a Benelli SS is with a 30" barrel.

On the left is the 1100 - 16 with a 28" barrel at 48 1/4" OAL. In the middle is the Benelli SS with a 30" barrel at 52 1/2" OAL. On the right is a Browning Citori 16 with 28" barrels at 46" OAL, if you went back to the flush mount chokes it would be 44 5/8".

That Benelli is longer than most 32" sporting clays guns unless you have a very long LOP. It is very close to being as long as some 34" barreled sporting guns.

Trust me when I say that the Benelli is just a bit too long for many hunting situations. You aren't going to flop it over your arm and walk through a cattail slough, hunt woodcock or ruffed grouse....FWIW it weighs in at exactly 8 lbs.

\
The 1100 is perfect (for me) at 28". The Citori is fun to carry with 28" barrels, but I wish they were 30".

I would love to have a 30" O/U in 16 gauge for hunting, but for Sporting Clays I would want 32" barrels.

If you are wondering, the 5 gallon bucket of water is for the dogs........GSP's aren't allowed to drink in the house!!

I have the 30" hunting version of the SS, the Cordoba. Lot of my friends shot SS when they first came out and I always wanted one. The 30" is a LOT better than the 28" for clays. Finally picked up the Cordoba a few years ago new old stock when they switched over to the Ethos for the SS. Got it for $1,400. The performance shop SS was $3K...

Looks like you are fond of Muller chokes. Take the Briley mag cap weight off and bet you come in at ~7.5 pounds Very Happy But I have one on mine, it came from my Ex FIL. He purchased one of the first Benelli Sport guns when they first came out. He shot it for everything, hunting all birds and skeet and sporting clays. He died of a heart attack shooting it at a Triples event in Pa. and I inherited it and his other guns. I've never shot it as well as he did but shoot the Cordoba extremely well. Took the mag cap weight off his and it fit the Cordoba perfectly. He put somewhere ~100K rounds though that gun over the years.

My preference for clays guns has dropped from 8 pounds to 7 pounds (on a few of them anyhow) the last couple of years. And for 2 bbls. now I like them all twisted up side by side anymore. Never thought that would happen. Like them for hunting even better, at least grouse.

My hunting guns are all pretty much now ~6 pounds. But have been a long time.

Use the 16 guns for ruff and in SD mainly 12 ga. 26" Benelli Ultralight like many I shoot very well. Shoot it even better with an extended Polychoke screwed into the end of it. Makes it almost as long as the 30" Cordoba\SS. Even works for grouse which is where I first tried it.

But more at home in phez\sharpies Country.

4" long and the weight at the end of the bbl. helps a great gun swing even better.

12 ga. Upper Sandusky 37 Ultralight is also 6 pounds.

I use 1 1/4 oz. of #5@1200 fps in both with no issue. For hunting. 7/8 oz. @1200 fps works for clays but 200 rounds a day is pushing it in a 6 pound gun including the FAIR 16 O\U and SxS. I have shot more than 400 rounds in a day with 7 pound guns with a mix of 7/8 and 1 oz. but it becomes a marathon event and the wheels usually fall of the wagon.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:13 am  Reply with quote

The Briley mag cap is there for a reason, if I take it off there goes some of the up front weight that I like. I bought the SS new back in 2007, so it is balanced the way I like it. The cap weighs 8 oz. The SS weighed in at 7 lbs 8 oz. when new, I like it at 8 lbs. Light shotguns, especially up front light, and I do not get along. Give me a 6 lb. gun and I might as well sit on the couch and save ammo. A 7 lb gun, well that Citori is 7 Lbs.

As far as the Mullers go for the SS, I bought them because I think they are cool looking, there is nothing wrong with the way the Benelli chokes pattern.

The Mullers in the Citori are there because the original Invector chokes, Cyl, Skeet, IC and Modified all pretty much shot a weak IC pattern. I tried Briley's and Trulocks.....same crap. When you make a choke change with the Mullers you are actually making a choke change.