16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ramblings mostly about nothing
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Mark you have the mag weight for the same reason I do, and many others. And why I put a vented poly choke on the end of my BUL. I've known people to make Master class with a SS. One is now a FITASC judge. Another is putting on a Black Friday shoot South of Albert Lea, Mn. this year. Going out on a short limb am guessing you used the SS to make AA.

Doesn't matter how much your Citori weighs. Or if you have it fitted. Most people shoot either a Browning or Italian gun better. For me, and many others, a Browning O\U feels like a 4x4 and handles like a club. Fine for shooting Trap and Skeet where you don't have a lot of gun movement. Well I don't even care for them in those venues LOL. Supposedly the 725 is a bit better. And I know the 20 ga. Cynergy handles more like a Beretta. But that gun is pictured in the dictionary under ugly, just saying.

Based on your guns and how you shoot them pretty sure you would shoot an Italian gun pretty well, even at 7 pounds.

For almost 20 years I shot a Joel Etchen custom combo 682\687 EELL for all clay venues.

At 8.5 pounds it handles like a 7 pound gun.

Come over to the spaghetti gun side, as my friend with the last name of Browning calls them. He is a shirttail relative to John B. so to be expected LOL.

In 16 I cheat for my O\U and my NEA FAIR has 28" bbl. for hunting and 30" for clays.

It is just over 6 pounds. If I was serious about shooting an O\U 16 ga. on clays I would get a BR110 or Comp 16, both B. Rizzini's.

I do have 2 B. Rizzini guns both target guns but are in 12 ga.

Come on over to the dark side (Italian) Mark, we will keep the light on for you Very Happy
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pneP5erRj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmdy9JGIj] [/URL]

I like Italian SxS's and OU's. My Iside 16 did some good work today and I needed every inch of those 30" barrels. Pheasants were at Mach 7 in some big wind.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:

I like Italian SxS's and OU's. My Iside 16 did some good work today and I needed every inch of those 30" barrels. Pheasants were at Mach 7 in some big wind.

Dave you are hunting in some really rough conditions. The dogs and guns don't seem to care so much!

Hey I think I have seen those pictures before on my phone on a text...

About all I have to say is outstanding! And well done!

But your ribeye will be done medium rare instead of well done Very Happy
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:00 am  Reply with quote

To put things in perspective. on this end anyhow..

From a 16 ga.. view and also mine...

O\U 16 at 6 pounds rocks to kill birds. 7 pounds is good for clays if you can shoot them. As is a 6 pound pump gun.

Not thee is anything wrong wiIth a new Upper Sandusky UL at 6 pounds. If you shoot enough that you understand balance. And it boils down to that.

Ithaca also got the 16 ga. UL right IMO. And the Toller.

Pump gun events have a lot of options. And prefer the RVD 16. I shoot it well. Very well.

SA the new A5 works well but is weak. Very weak.

Had Briley cut it down to 23" and Mark Larson shape the grip to how Browning should have. Reserve it for hunting ruff because the extractor breaking on me and others it is a weak sister. And many others have has the stock break. Tough luick Browning does not supply 16 ga. stocks. Or bbls.

But with some modifications can be made into a decent grouse gun.

But the Tristar G2 at 6.5 pounds is a better bet for clays. And is (gasp) more reliable than the Browning LOL.

Nothing wrong with the FAIR guns been shooting them for ~20 years. They kill birds.

But you the dog and gun have to do your part in the equation.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
double vision wrote:

Dave you are hunting in some really rough conditions. The dogs and guns don't seem to care so much!

Hey I think I have seen those pictures before on my phone on a text...

About all I have to say is outstanding! And well done!

But your ribeye will be done medium rare instead of well done Very Happy

Thanks, Mike, and medium rare is fine. Maybe I'll eat half of Mark's while he ogling the Comp 16. (shhh)

I set that pheasant in the picture the way it is to remember that wind which was blowing it tail feathers back at seemingly gale force.

I've now have had multiple Parkers, Foxes, an AyA #2 and so many other SxS's I doubt if I can remember all of them. In a perfect world one of the more prestigious or cult guns would have worked out. Didn't shoot any of them even close to how well this FAIR-Rizzini Iside shoots for me. As a matter of fact this gun was my last stab at the dream of a 16 gauge SxS field gun that I could actually shoot with competence.

It's a damned good gun.

As my mom used to say in a different context, you've got to stick to your guns. I'm sticking with my FAIR SxS's for the field.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I own more than a few classic SXS's; Foxes, LC Smith's, Francotte's, and Parkers to name a few. The one I shoot lights out is a CSMC RBL 20 gauge with 28" barrels and an English stock. I almost wish it weren't so. I'd rather it had a double trigger though. I'm an ok shot with the rest but the RBL is like a wand. I had a 16 RBL but sold it. It was too heavy and felt clunky.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I need a 15 inch length of pull and am a lefty. I'm having a 16 gauge Fox custom stocked for me after being measured by a professional, so I hope that makes a big difference.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:19 am  Reply with quote

ROMAC,

Real nice collection, happy hunting and clays shooting!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Romac, Steve Smith in his book, Shotgunner: Reflections on Guns, Birds and Dogs there is a chapter on the real guns we shoot best called "Fallen Lady." The chapter and overall book is a very entertaining and informative read.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

You don't have to convince me about Italian guns as I own and shoot two of them well. I wouldn't sell or trade them. One is the Benelli SS and the other is a Beretta 686 Onyx. If only the Onyx was made in 16 gauge.

A 7 lb. gun? That might work....a 6 lb. gun? Not happening.

I have no interest in having a gun for any reason other than I can hit stuff with it.......consistently.

After these last couple of weeks, I have relearned a lesson for about the 10th time......stick with the 1100 and forget changing shotguns.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron Nice pics, and I really like the look of that 16 ga. 37 UL with the straight grip stock. I'm a sucker for a straight grip, and I have been contemplating making a new straight grip stock for my Remington Model 17. I wondered whether that would look OK, as the wood-to-action transition on the Model 17 and Ithaca 37 is a bit "different". As your photo shows, it seems it would look just fine. Thanks.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I love Model 37's, kinda like the original A5 Sweet just cool guns.

A question just how light are the the Model 37 UL's? My 1952, 37 with a 28" barrel is 6 lbs. 2 oz.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
I love Model 37's, kinda like the original A5 Sweet just cool guns.

A question just how light are the the Model 37 UL's? My 1952, 37 with a 28" barrel is 6 lbs. 2 oz.

Mark the UL 37 in 16 normally weighs 6 pounds with the English Deluxe straight stock.

Depends on the wood of course, they made a run of them in King Ferry supposed to be 500 of them made. But from what I can tell they only produced ~480 of them. Upper Sandusky also produced some as did Ithaca the frames came from there or most of them did anyhow.

Your gun has no checkering on the buttstock. Up until 1955 37's had hand checkering on the buttstock. So if your serial number puts it at 1952 the buttstock is a later one added after the fact.

As the black walnut dries over the years the through bolt screw can get loose and that is what causes the Ithaca "crack". Not uncommon. On all older guns.

I really like the pre 1955 16ga. 37's. It is what I grew up with. All of mine come in at 6 pounds and the prewars a couple of oz. below that. No vented rib or choke tubes but that is OK by me LOL. I shoot off the end of the bbl. anyhow.

1952 should have the same handcut checkering as my 49 16 ga.

Ringtail forend is correct

But I suspect the buttstock was replaced and then both refinished.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Especially if you shoot it well Very Happy
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Great pics Mike. Love the old Duxback coat too(still have my Redhead brand). Thanks again for selling me the 1940 20 ga. Have really enjoyed shooting phez with it this fall.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

I kinda doubt that the 37 I have was ever touched. I have put about 300 rounds through it at the skeet range and I would bet that was twice as many rounds as the shotgun had ever seen. There are no real wear marks except on the mag tube and they are very light, and most of that was done when I shot it. All the wood dings are regular handling marks, none on the forend only on the buttstock.

The serial number is: 581XXX and I was told that this was a 1952 model.

I just found (5 minutes ago) a good source for the serial numbers and mine is a 1955 model. So that explains the plain stock. Thanks for the info.

https://diamondgunsmithing.com/VSN.html

I think the shotgun is great, but I don't shoot it all that well. It needs to be fit, it needs some cast. I don't need to shoot it, I just like that I have this shotgun. I paid $150.00 for it about 15 years ago. I won't touch it, just going to leave it as is.