16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  pacific 366 16ga. dies
Porter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:47 am  Reply with quote

I have a Pacific 366 loader set up for 12ga. Want to do 16ga. but don't know where to find dies. Also would like to do 2 1/2 " shells. any help is appreciated.

fourtimes4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have converted two DL-366 from 12 ga to 16 ga from misc. parts. The toughest to find without locating a full die kit is the rotating shell plate. Another option is machining a 20 ga plate. The other tooling that mounts on the head can be from other presses such as Pacific or Bair and even though they function properly may not be identical to the new versions currently available in the other 4 gauges. Some are standard to the press and not gauge specific. Time, patience and attention to details is what it takes so good luck and happy hunting!

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
R J Talley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I converted a DL 366 to 16 ga and then, unconverted it and instead, converted a 266 to 16 ga. Why? Well, I wanted flexibility in loading. the 366 platform does not handle variables well. Change the wad height and you run into crimp issues right away. The 266 is immu88ne to all of that non-sense. I too, needed to do 2.5" rounds and found that roll crimping was the easiest and less troublesome way to go. Also, the data sheets show lower over-all pressures with roll crimps, at least with Longshot. Why longshot you ask? Well, it is not temp sensitive, gives crazy high velocities and builds pressure gently which is great for some of my older guns.

The 366 is for trap shooters who want to load 400 to 1000 rounds a couple of times a month. The 266 is a linier single stage press that lets you load just about anything you want. Another plus is that you don't need to get a machinist to make you a shell holder ring. You may need to have standard shell holders made but they will be way cheaper and you need just two. Steal them from a Bair or Pacific if need be.

That has been my experience to date and I have loaded 16 ga for me and all of my sub-gun shooting friends.

All of the 266, 150, 155 dies are transferable to the 266 platform. The 366 too.

Reece

R J Talley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

I converted a DL 366 to 16 ga and then, unconverted it and instead, converted a 266 to 16 ga. Why? Well, I wanted flexibility in loading. the 366 platform does not handle variables well. Change the wad height and you run into crimp issues right away. The 266 is immu88ne to all of that non-sense. I too, needed to do 2.5" rounds and found that roll crimping was the easiest and less troublesome way to go. Also, the data sheets show lower over-all pressures with roll crimps, at least with Longshot. Why longshot you ask? Well, it is not temp sensitive, gives crazy high velocities and builds pressure gently which is great for some of my older guns.

The 366 is for trap shooters who want to load 400 to 1000 rounds a couple of times a month. The 266 is a linier single stage press that lets you load just about anything you want. Another plus is that you don't need to get a machinist to make you a shell holder ring. You may need to have standard shell holders made but they will be way cheaper and you need just two. Steal them from a Bair or Pacific if need be.

That has been my experience to date and I have loaded 16 ga for me and all of my sub-gun shooting friends.

All of the 266, 150, 155 dies are transferable to the 266 platform. The 366 too.

Reece

top_cat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

I had a 366 with both 12 and 20 ga die sets. I would load 2 or 3 flats of 20 ga shells for my wife's 20. Then back to the 12 ga dies. The 20 ga went out the door with my wife in a divorce. I acquired an RCBS Grand on a good deal, so the 366 and both die sets went up on the shelf.

I ended up with two 16 ga guns from famiy in one week. I traded for a 600 Jr and 16 ga dies and I was off to the races. The 600 Jr is a good loader, but a pain in the butt if you shoot a lot. I found myself shooting the 16s much more than my 12s.

What to do? With the help of a machinist friend I converted my 20 ga 366 dies to 16.
By station:
The resizing ring must be reamed out. I used the ring size of the 20 over SAAMI specs for clearance. It's about .01-.02 for clearance.
The 20 ga dies for deprime, primer seater and powder drop work fine, You will need a 16 ga wad guide, still available from Hornady. 20 ga shot drop tube works fine.The 20 ga crimp starter is too small. I used my 12 ga crimp starters - with careful adjusting they work fine.
Now comes the interesting part. My machinist chucked up the crimp die in a lathe and reamed it to allow the 16 ga shell. The 20 ga crimp plunger is too small so he turned down the 12 ga plunger to 16 ga size. He machined out the rotating shell plate to handle 16 ga brass.

I used the 12 ga shell plate ring which encircles the loader work space. You could get by with the 20 ga, but clearances are tight. Some grinding (about .02) would suffice.

Machine work: resize ring, rotating shell plate, crimp die, crimp plunger (from 12 ga). Optionally grind the retaining ring.

Purchase: 16 ga wad guide, 12 ga crimp starters. Optional 12 crimp plunger.

The 366 manual is still available from Hornady it takes some searching to find it. In it is the parts explosion with part number, They show no 16 ga part number except the wad guide. I'll bet there are 16 ga parts still in inventory - but you would have to chase them down.

Good luck.

Tom
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

No ties to this ad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pacific-Tool-Co-DL-250-Reloading-TOOLS-ACCESSORIES-16-Gauge-SET-/224685011286?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
Porter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. This could be a interesting project. I may leave the 366 alone at 12ga. as I also shoot some of that ga. and start looking for the 266 or some other means to do 16's. I have some feelers out for parts for the 366. We'll see. I do like roll crimps and simplicity. Decisions, decisions, but what fun. Bird season is on here and I have plenty of ammo in 16 for the season. This could be more of a late winter project. Thanks again

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:54 am  Reply with quote

just for S&G's .... i gave my 20 ga MEC JR to a buddy , which left me a void . Up until then , really didn't do many 20's and of course that changed ! Just for fun , put the 20 sizing ring on , and ran a 20 thru the 16 loader - Came out fine ! Tried some more and were fine . Best case was to put a washer on top of the final crimp station and shove the case lightly up into the shoulder ... AS good as new ! Might be something to try on these loaders also . Don't need a 20ga loader !

dtraster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

I have questions about rebuilding and upgrading my red 12 gauge Pacific 366 progressive reloading press so I can convert it back and forth between 12 gauge and 16 gauge. Any suggestions are welcome.

I haven’t done any reloading yet but have both 12 and 16 gauge shotguns and prefer the 16 gauge. I bought this 366 in an on-line auction a year or two ago and it’s been sitting. It has a little surface rust on some parts but appears to be in pretty good shape. I did a little bit of cleaning and started to take it apart to do a deep clean and replace any parts that seem iffy. Before I got very far, I decided that I need to know a lot more about it and about reloading in general. I hate taking something apart, putting it back together, and wondering what to do with all of the extra parts. Confused Embarassed

A local shooting supply store offers rifle and handgun reloading classes which I plan to take. (I inherited my father’s reloading equipment so I’m interested in learning about that too.) There are several detailed YouTube videos about rebuilding and upgrading 366s that I plan to watch and follow. When I do that, I’d like to set it up so I can convert it back and forth between 12 gauge and 16 gauge.

Top-Cat’s post is very helpful and I think I understand most of it. But because I’m not familiar with all of the parts yet, I’m wondering if someone has more detailed instructions or Hornady part numbers for what I would need to buy. The Hornady web site has a picture of what appears to be the set of dies, bushings, etc. But I don’t see part numbers for everything in Top-Cat’s list. https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/366-auto#!/#product-line

I tried to find a 20 gauge Shell Plate on-line and haven’t found a vendor who sells them. None listed on eBay either. Suggestions?

I did find what I assume is an older “operation manual” that includes a parts diagram and parts list. https://www.helmuthofmann.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/366_loader.pdf

I copied the parts list into an Excel Spreadsheet and tried to find some of them on line but haven’t had much luck so far.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Hello dtraster
WELCOME on your first posting here

My suggestion, if you have the 366 humming with 16 gauge conversion,
Leave it alone and get another press for 12 gauge.

Mike

grahamshewell
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:57 am  Reply with quote

I would be keen to purchase a 16 bore die set for a 155 or 266 if anyone has the surplus bits. I do have the shell holders and a spare 266 press for them to go in but can’t seem to find one. I look on eBay regularly but haven’t been lucky in the last few years….
Regards
Graham