16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  don`t give up on the browning citori
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

expanding on thread below, I only shoot trap, both at a trap range and pasture trap at a friends house with 20-30 other shooters. anyway wore out my ithaca 37, and old marlin 90, so thought I would buy a citori, found lightening at NGD in Louisville, had an adjustable comb installed, made change after change and could not hit anything, thought I bought a very expensive fence post, finally, got it right, got it to fit and blasting clays the last 2 weekends, took me 4 years of trial and error to warm up to it and now its my favorite 16 ga. Don`t give up on it.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
df
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a Gr III citori 16 ha a few months ago. I’ve been shooting sporting clays for over 20 years. I just shot my two best rounds back to back with that gun. Some people like the citori, some don’t.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

For me it isn't liking it that is the problem. I like it just fine. Here is the issue, I have 4 other shotguns 2 - 12's and 2 - 16's that I shoot just fine and I haven't put the time into this one that I need to put in and who knows I may never put the time in. I also have a Model 37 and a Model 12 (both 16's) that I shoot pretty well, but not often. I have more time in this Citori than any of the others. For a number of reasons I really want it to work out but so far it has been less than stellar.

I am getting a bit older so the thought of a lighter shotgun, especially to hunt with is appealing, but it can't be very light, as I don't shoot a light shotgun well at all. I thought I would start with this Citori, at 6 lbs. 14 oz. it is about right and I would use it for clays also. I even developed a nice 7/8 oz. load and had it tested just for this shotgun. Bought some good Muller chokes for it. Patterned it for both POI and for load performance. Fixed the typical issue with the lower firing pin creating a misfire. I have some time in it that is for sure. Oh yeah and I wouldn't have to pick up spent hulls in the middle of a slough.

I will play with the LOP as I have all the stuff to do the job. If that doesn't work, I will probably sell it.

B. Rizzini has a nice looking 16 gauge target gun the Comp16, I can get it to fit me as they have a few options. I think I can order one through Scheels in either Bismarck or Minot. Hmmmmmmm

kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

the changes that worked for me for pasture trap are lowering the comb, moving the comb to the right because of weight gain during the pandemic, switch to a flat monroe adjustable butt plate from the curved one I had been using. took the fiber optic insert in the front sight out and just using the mount, and finding an improved modified choke for the top barrel, the browning full choke was too tight and the modified too loose.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

When you get pretty good with your 16 gauge Citori's, then move on down and pick up a 28 gauge Citori, big time fun! Great little Clays guns for sure.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I gave up on the Citori .. and picked up a 1974 Browning Superposed "Super Light" 12 gauge (for a lot less than a Citori). It's back to the future for this bird hunter.
bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Days wrote:
I gave up on the Citori .. and picked up a 1974 Browning Superposed "Super Light" 12 gauge (for a lot less than a Citori). It's back to the future for this bird hunter.
The superlight is a nice well balanced piece been shooting one since the seventies with a solid rib . As good as the offshore Brownings are they can't compare to the Belgian guns. I am talking field gun not target. My two cents but that's not worth much now days.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:28 am  Reply with quote

A friend of mine has an entire set of Superposed Brownings, made in the early 60's. Gorgeous guns.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:09 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
B. Rizzini has a nice looking 16 gauge target gun the Comp16, I can get it to fit me as they have a few options. I think I can order one through Scheels in either Bismarck or Minot. Hmmmmmmm

Mark, I have a Comp 16 with a non-adjustable stock. Comes with cast off, palm swell, etc. and mine fits me pretty well as it is. It's definitely a target gun and fun to shoot. Not overly heavy, mine is 7 lbs. 4 oz.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:22 am  Reply with quote

double vision,

Can I ask where you were able to get the Comp16?

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:39 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
double vision,

Can I ask where you were able to get the Comp16?

Pacific Arms
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Thanks

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
A friend of mine has an entire set of Superposed Brownings, made in the early 60's. Gorgeous guns.

I prefer a ~7 pound gun my preference. Personally.

Been thinking about this I really think you should try out a sexy Italian.

I inherited a Superposed Browning. Rib has separated, again. Don't think I will bother with having it resoldered.

Some like Brownings and others find the Italian guns which are generally faster and balance better for those that can tell the difference. Most people like one or the other.

None of the top shooters in the World shoot Brownings. Just saying. To me they feel like a fence post. Why fight it? At least that is what I came up with. And don't care for shooting a 4x4....

Yes and as you get older the differences get more pronounced. I really like a ~7 pound gun anymore not that I am getting older....

Can't speak for DT but am going to throw something out there been thinking about for awhile. Have known DT for a couple of decades and without texting\emailing him pretty sure he would be on board with it.

We are entering the "frozen zone" soon. But there is a heated 5 stand in Menomonie, Wi. that is the cats meow. I would be willing to take a day off work to shoot there. Pretty sure DT would too wait he is retired LOL. I retired from the Navy 26 years ago but still working, so say I am retarded. But work at Mayo Clinic and have a very rewarding job especially over the last couple of years.

What say you show up at my place in a month or so and we go up and coordinate with DT to have you shoot his Comp 16? Don't like speaking for him but pretty sure he will have no objections.

Will take me a month or so to make a spare bedroom guest ready. And besides cleaning suck up the dog hair from 2 Tollers. Don't underestimate the hair LOL.

Will cook you a prime ribeye both nights if you want, $30 a pound but worth it!

While I am at it should make the other bedroom guest room ready in case DT wanted to show up. I know that I would really love to pick your brain on your past experience of reloading data for the 16.

Understand your reluctance for shooting a SxS I was there for many years. I have a couple in 16 that I will pay for you to shoot. You might be surprised just saying!

Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I will get things going on my side. Including the pet hair vac sigh....
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:20 am  Reply with quote

That is a fantastic offer.

I will PM you. Sure we can figure something out.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Make my ribeye medium please. Very Happy