16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  BPS vs M37
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:49 am  Reply with quote

I'm considering a bottom eject pump (16ga of course) Re; hulls getting kicked out of the tender, layout boat and canoe from the 870. Wondering what the pros-n-cons are on the 2 guns? Any info appreciated.....

Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:47 am  Reply with quote

The model 37 will certainly be lighter. They’re both very well made and of a similar design. A model 37 will be easier to find also. My choice would definitely be a 37 but I’m a bit nostalgic.
Lewis295
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:44 am  Reply with quote

Swampy is spot on. Might come down to where you like your safety as well. The 37 is on the rear of the trigger guard and the BPS is on the tang. The 37 is a John Browning patent and the BPS is based off of it as well. I love my 37s but I still look for a good BPS every now and again. You should be able to find a good 37 for not much money that will serve you well, and it will be lighter. There are some 37s with chokes, or you can always send off for chokes if that's important to you
Winchester21
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

I would recommend getting the BPS for two reasons:
1. Steel compatible choke tubes (needed for waterfowling).
2. The fact that they come with choke tubes.

I have a 16ga BPS w/26" barrels and it fits me quite well "as is". I went for the 26" to keep its overall length closer to my other shotgun's OAL. The 37s I looked at never fit me, drop and OAL, so I never bought one. I have shot them, and they are nice guns but I never wanted one myself. Personal preferences.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

If you like "road hugging weight" (remember the Pontiac Wide Track ads), by all means get a BPS. It's a real clunk. I acknowledge others' opinions will differ, and that might be the reason they bought the BPS, but others are likely defending the BPS because but they've bought the thing. Similar design?! -- hardly -- bottom eject is the only similarity. I've had a BPS apart, and although it is ungodly heavy, some of the parts look very "economical". I'm not a huge fan of the Ithaca 37 either, but I think it is the much better choice -- trim and slim, easier to handle. No choke tubes? 1) Consider your target ranges. You'll likely never need anything other than an IC choke for an upland 16, even with pheasants. If that works, just have the choke reamed if necessary. or, 2) Just pay the $50 or $75 or whatever and put choke tubes in it. These guns are tools, not sacred collectible works of art that are devalued by any reasonable change that makes them work for you.

Cheers!
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I've had both--the BPS is down the road, the 37 is still around after several decades. Just never really cottoned to the BPS although I used it quite a bit on upland game for about ten years. The simplicity of the 37 compared to the BPS complexity/assembly difficulties in the receiver is a big selling point to me. Both have advantages/disadvantages overall, but I prefer the 37. Slick, dependable, IMO.

The BPS has been around for decades--most everyone I know who bought one over the years in any gauge moved on to something else sooner or later.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Damn, I cannot believe how timely this thread is.

My son-in-law is left handed. About 6 or 8 years ago, I got him started in hunting and shooting. I purchased, for him, a used Ithaca 37 in 12 gauge. I called Ithaca and ordered, and installed a left handed safety.

Just recently, I was able to purchase a near mint condition Browning BPS in 12 gauge. $350, yes, I am bragging.

The only downside of the BPS is its weight. It has an ambidextrous tang safety. It has choke tubes. The wrist of the stock is stronger. The butt stock and recoil pad is larger than the Ithaca's, therefore felt recoil is less than the Ithaca's.

I think the BPS is a better gun.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:31 am  Reply with quote

I think Maximum Smoke pretty much nailed it. The BPS I had was a 10 gauge (goose hunting at the time). Built well but would not pattern any ammo at any distance with any choke. It was awful. Down the road she went. You may be able to find a newer 37 with tubes. My Ultra FW 16 was built in Kings Ferry and has tubes.
rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:39 am  Reply with quote

I really like all my BPS pump guns. I pretty much never use a pump gun so I think it is time for them to move on to someone that will appreciate them. None of them have more than 200 rounds through them.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:33 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the real world responses Gent's, much appreciated. Nice to compare Red and Golden Delicious apples right next to each other, although both similar and wonderful in their own right, personal preference in the differences.

At this time, seems as though there are more 37's available on the used market, go figure since Wikipedia sates that it is the longest running pump shotgun in history. Again, thank you Mr. John Browning, what a legacy!

Browning site says the 2 16ga versions were right around #7 and none of the 37's listed on GB (or on Wiki) have weight listed. #7 isn't a deal kill since I added weight to my Citori US to #7 to be less whippy. The listed BPS #7 range seems to add credence to the possibly of being built on the "sub gauge" frame since the 12ga versions list as a bit heavier and 16 and down are similar in weight.

Ithaca (new) site lists only 12 & 20ga available.

Just for grins; anyone know of a bottom load/eject semi? Seems as though the 870 & 1100 load and eject the same and the 2 different mechanisms are packaged in basically the same envelope. Why not a bottom eject semi?

Interesting stuff. Thanks again...

John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:10 am  Reply with quote

You know, if you really do not want your empty hulls being ejected into the water when waterfowl hunting, the simplest solution is a sxs or over/under with extractors.

4setters
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

putz,

Bottom eject semi? Rem CTI105, 12 ga. only. Didn't stay on the market long, probably a few on the used market.

Given all the gun models over the past 100+ years, I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few others that faded into obscurity in their day.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

The point about location of the safety is a good one. As is the location of the slide release. And what your comfortable with.

Don't believe it but on this one will finally have to disagree with John LOL. We don't disagree with much. And a lot of it has to do with personal preference I will chalk it up to that.

37 all day long.

But I grew up with a 37 16 ga. and shot countless game with it. And not even sure how many 37's I own today. But also have a 12 ga. BPS waterfowl edition. I paid $250 for it from all places Cabelas a couple of years ago. I am donating it to the house in SD where we pheasant hunt. And sometimes waterfowl hunt the potholes in the morning while waiting for 10:00 to roll around to shoot phez.

12 ga. Upper Sandusky UL at 6 pounds.

My waterfowl gun is also an Upper Sandusky. With AAA wood. Grandpa didn't need no camo gun or black gun and neither do I. Johnson Paste wax on everything works for me.

The 30" bbl. is a bit long and use the matte finish King Ferry bbl. more times than not.

The Admiral bought a house in SD for us to hunt out. Will not take money but will take gifts. I donated my kitchen table that my sons grew up with. And loaded 530 16 ga. 7.5 shot 7/8 oz. shells for him for woodcock and grouse in Wi. couple of months ago.

We don't exactly rough it in SD, the cans of beans are at my place, long story after bringing up heating beans and ham on the Steam Turbine of a ships main engines. We were all Engineers at one time.

My contribution next year will be the BPS it just sits in the closet. Not even worth putting it in the gun safe for me.

I waterfowl hunt with a Toller. No decoys or layouts. My dog is my decoy.

But the ducks and geese only fall for that trick one time LOL. Not so good on residents but for migrating birds one time is usually more than enough.

All of my 37's are like a well oiled machine with precise ball bearings. The BPS is very crude in comparison. I will not miss it.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, your 12 gauge Ultra weighs 6 lbs???
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Cold Iron, your 12 gauge Ultra weighs 6 lbs???

Yes with KF fixed Mod choke bbl. 6 pounds. With Upper Sandusky 30" and interchangeable chokes 6 pounds 4 oz.

They each have their place.

And it is King Ferry not Kings Ferry. On the East side of Cayuga Lake up Rt. 34.I know it well down to the Pa. border. Don't let Walt Snyder catch you saying Kings instead of King. Just saying.