16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Keepin on Keepin on
last dollar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:48 am  Reply with quote

I am now 86 years of age. I no longer have a dog, Flash Passed almost two years. My cat wont retrieve. I have a lot of trouble walking due to nerve problems in my legs...Not complaining, jus the facts. I didnt hunt the opener but have managed to get out three times and wobble around some small covers with the "Wee jeff" killed 4 wild roosters with 5 shots...Its a long season and I am looking forward to the rest of it...Now if Icould get that damn cat to retrieve.....Stay well all!
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:52 am  Reply with quote

Last chance. it's great to get out at your age and still be right on. Also in areas where their is still birds. I'm 74 and probably not 20 pheasant in all of Indiana. ( exaggeration) I don't hunt put and take. Something seems phony about the put & take game to me. Since the winter of 78 killed off the many coveys of quail I don't shoot them when I do see them. We've been told by the fish and game depth that quail are back to what they were before the big winter. But their not. The people that are saying them things weren't around then. So most of my game is clay birds called white flyers. Unless I go to the UP after grouse. Which is not a very friendly area anymore. But I can't take the cold anymore anyway. Below 50* I hibernate anyway. Just no place to do honest hunting anymore. But good Hunting to you..
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Good shooting, Last Dollar. I hope I'm at it like you are at 86.
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Good for you last dollar, and God bless!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Last Dollar,

You have 21 years on me and when I am 86, I hope you post a picture of the limit of roosters you shot that day.

Folks like you give me hope and inspiration that this will be a very long journey.

707PS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Congrats Last Dollar,
Sounds like your doing just fine. It’s great you have wild birds around, we have a few but mainly shoot planted birds. I’m 82 and my dog is 11. We are only good for about 2-3 hours at a time now but enjoy our outings. No cats, but my wife’s Boston Terrier
might measure up to your cat???
Take care, John
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Great post

AND I missed seeing you at Raton this last Rocky Mountain Vintagers meeting

Mike

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'm just a mere youngster of 80, but still "gettin er done". Not as fast as in the past, but it does me good to read of you fellow octogenarians still getting after it. I still have plenty of GSP dog power for my hunting, a 12 year old that still hunts great, but physically is limited to about a hour, a 7 year old that is as solid a hunting dog as a man could ask for, and a year old pup with a great nose, strong bird drive, and unlimited energy. I have debated with myself the propriety of having hunting dogs that will likely outlive me, possibly while still in their prime, but have resolved that issue by finding fellow bird hunters who will take them in and hunt them if something happens to me. I really can't imagine not hunting behind good pointing dogs as long as I can put one foot in front of the other.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Keep on, LD. I feel like a kid in this room and my hair's gone white.

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Great stuff , glad to hear from you and well done with the wee Jeff, I saw your post this morning just before heading out a wee run myself , my Jeffery has been taking a back seat so far as I'm getting used to my new Beretta 20ga , but my wee Jeff will be back later in the season , had 3 nice Pheasant today, keep us posted on your season it's always good to hear from you .
All the best WJ.