16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Blue Dot load disparity
ole_270
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Have part of a can of Blue Dot and thinking about using it for 1 1/8 oz load in the 16. Checked the Alliant site and Lyman #5. Both list the Federal Hi-Power case with Fed 209A primer and Rem SP-16 wad.
Alliant site,
32 grain Blue Dot= 1295 fps 8600 psi
Lyman #5
28.5 grain Blue Dot= 1220 fps 8400 psi

Does 3.5 gr extra powder really only raise pressure 200 psi?

That SP16 wad is so much smaller than the case dia., even with Blue Dot flake size I still get powder migration. Guess a Tyvec disc would be advised. I have some clear plastic Cheddite cases and tried the load in one, powder went everywhere without the Tyvec disc.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:06 am  Reply with quote

Could be a few things, maybe even powder lot variance or machine calibration. But I suspect the loose wad/hull fit and blow by.

IMO, The SP16 in anything other than an RGL hull is not very good match up but there exists a ton of data for those, again IMO, mismatched pairings.

Are Fed & Ched hulls and SP16's the only components you have to work with? If so, then something to seal better is needed. Pre-flaring the cup helps to a degree. If I need to pre-flare I'll roll the cup on the rim of a 10ga hull or a smooth box end wrench.

Best of luck with it....

ole_270
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:23 am  Reply with quote

It's not the only wad I have, just curious about the variation. I have the old Cheddite 1632 wad that used to be sold by Grafs, but tested loads are few and it raises pressures. I'll save them for the Longshot and 800X loads I had tested.
Sure wish somebody would bring out a 1 1/8 oz wad for straight wall hulls.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I use a claybuster wad flared over powder cup. Warm the over powder cup the flare it over a 2 " ball hitch. Don't need to flare much and you good to go.
ole_270
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Tried flaring the claybusters. Set my two speed electric heat gun to low, inserted a nut driver into the cup of the wad and spun it for a couple seconds, then pressed it onto the ball of a medium sized antique brass ball pein hammer captured in the vise. Worked very well to flare the powder cup. loaded a few in the clear Cheddites and they even held back Longshot. Went ahead and flared the whole bag for future use.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Post deleted.

Last edited by RGuill96971 on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ole_270
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Haven"t seen that one, I've got the SG-16 Sporting, and the Z16 Commander, but was wanting 1 1/8 oz loads for the Cheddite and Federal Hulls. I've got a couple bags left of the Cheddite 1632 wad, but they won't last forever.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:59 am  Reply with quote

ole_270 wrote:
Tried flaring the claybusters. Set my two speed electric heat gun to low, inserted a nut driver into the cup of the wad and spun it for a couple seconds, then pressed it onto the ball of a medium sized antique brass ball pein hammer captured in the vise. Worked very well to flare the powder cup. loaded a few in the clear Cheddites and they even held back Longshot. Went ahead and flared the whole bag for future use.

I use a filler in my shot column for 1 oz.
Sparky1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve used blue dot in 1 1/8 loads in a Fiocchi hull and primer with the z16 wad…and ballistic products have primed Fiocchi hulls in stock right now..