16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Darne Halifax - yes, no, maybe
Bill K
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:01 am  Reply with quote

A while back I asked about Darne shotguns in general , and received a wealth of of information in return for I am thankful.

What I recall is that no one mentioned anything specific about the Halifax - other than they had one, and by the way he talked it sounded to be a reliable shotgun.

Well I've got my eye on a Halifax - is there anything that I should be aware of ?

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Pitted bores, mostly. Also, short chambers and, usually tight chokes. The Halifax was a product of poor economic times, and the worse things were, economically, the more grades of Halifax there were. Two grades in the 1930s.
A Halifax has brazed barrels, instead of monobloc silver soldered tubes. Be advised you cannot bend the stock on any Darne, Halifax included, due to the way it is attached to the gun. You will break the stock if you attempt this. You can alter LOP with a pad, but, that is about it. Try to find one that fits to begin with. The safety is something guys struggle with, try to figure out how to make it work for you, maybe before you buy it.
I’ve used a few different Darnes for 35 years or so, they are some of my favorites. Post photos of what you are looking at, and I’ll tell you what I can about it.

Best,
Ted

airmedic1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:02 am  Reply with quote

I had a Darne R13 that fit me and I shot it well but could never get used to the safety. I don’t know how many pheasants that I never got a shot at because of the safety. Same with a Manufrance Ideal only that gun didn’t fit and I couldn’t hit anything with it. That safety was bizarre and I never hunted with that one. They are both unique and cool but they went down the road to someone else.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

You can (usually) switch the safety on an R model around in the breech block, moving it to the other side. If that doesn’t work, the opening lever itself can double as a safety, just leave it up, under spring tension, against your thumb. It is fairly easy to keep it in that position, with the breech not actually in contact with the ends of the barrels.
I was left handed, so, the safety stuff, either model R or V, mostly went over my head.

Best,
Ted