16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning A5 16
bigblue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Looking at a A5 16 gauge 28inch 16 gauge POW grip traditional checkering under 6 pounds . My question how are these guns holding up ? Cracked stocks and broken extractors seem to be the problem any info ? before I pull the plug Thanks for replies .
Dstar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

No issues whatsoever. I have the 28” with the pistol grip and it is my go to Chukar nd Hun gun. Never had a malfunction in the 3 years I have used it.
Jta5er
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I assume your talking about a modern browning sweet 16 ( Italian looking gun, not the original hump back JMB gun) since it’s less than 6 lbs?

bigblue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Jta5er wrote:
I assume your talking about a modern browning sweet 16 ( Italian looking gun, not the original hump back JMB gun) since it’s less than 6 lbs?
Yes action is a take off of the Benelli.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

I have had no trouble at all with my Sweet 16 A5. Mine has a 28" barrel. The gun comes new with a large variety of shims and spacers so you can dial in the gun fit. I like it a lot.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

I was just talking to another member about reliability of our modern SW16's this week. we've each shot probably thousands of rounds threw them, do regular cleaning internally but neither of us have one that is reliable with factory 1 oz 1165fps rated ammo. I called the factory about it and was told they wont guarantee function with anything less than 1 1/8 oz. Yet, I still love mine with 1 1/8 oz loads for pheasants and I use it more for that than any other of my guns. I'm going to experiment with loads/speed of 1 oz to see how fast I need it to go to be reliable. I'm guessing 1200-1225.

Dstar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot a square load most of the time, 1 oz and no issues whatsoever. It functions as you expect, it cycles. Never had any malfunctions. Dependable modern auto loader chambered in 16 ga. I have a Remington Model 11 manufactured in 1934 and the new A5 is much lighter and shoots as well.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

The only thing I've found will not cycle the action is a low pressure load, specifically the RST Lite that I like to use in the doubles. Other than that, every factory load I've used regardless of shot weight has run through it without a hitch. I almost always use 1 oz loads, so I find it curious that Browning recommends only 1-1/8 oz loads to ensure reliable cycling. And if not curious, then at least interesting!
bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies one more question research info says the DS choke system give more open patterns than what is stated on the tubes ? If this is correct will a set of Brileys correct this ? or is the DS system a poor one. I like a light mod choke and 1oz loads . The chokes are not a deal breaker for me.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

The new A5 uses Browning Invector DS tubes. They longer than standard tubes as they have a longer forcing cone and have a gas seal ring below the threads. They are very good tubes, I bought several extra to suit my needs from Midwest Gun Works. I think they were $34 each, but it's been a while.

Briley probably makes them for Browning anyway...
David Spear
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

My chokes mic’d at
IC .652
MOD .646
F .616
I bought an extended skeet choke from trulock and it’s .660
bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

nj gsp wrote:
The new A5 uses Browning Invector DS tubes. They longer than standard tubes as they have a longer forcing cone and have a gas seal ring below the threads. They are very good tubes, I bought several extra to suit my needs from Midwest Gun Works. I think they were $34 each, but it's been a while.

Briley probably makes them for Browning anyway...
I was referring to a article I read about the DS choke having a long cone that opened patterns beyond what the constriction the tube was marked for . Sounded like a Browning screw up. Like I said not a deal breaker I go with Briley on all my guns. The reliability issue was my main concern . I will drop the hammer today and hope for the best. Thanks again gents
bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

David Spear wrote:
My chokes mic’d at
IC .652
MOD .646
F .616
I bought an extended skeet choke from trulock and it’s .660
Thanks for the info standard invector tubes from Briley S .657 ic .642 mod .642 F .627 . Don't know where this applies to the DS tubes . Is the barrel backed bored ? not a fan of that mod for a game gun.
David Spear
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

I’m not sure about the barrel being backbored. For some reason I received a turkey choke with my SW16.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

My gun had a broken extractor when I received it , a phone call to browning and they sent me a complete bolt. I know I have shot close to 3000 rounds through mine , mostly 1oz , with no other issues.