16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunt in Canada--plan to?
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Just FYI------

The Saskatchewan Outfitters Assn. has a proposal pending that will, if promulgated, require all non-resident bird hunters to have a guide.
Personal opinions aside, you may, and are encouraged to, make your opinions known to the appropriate Canadian authorities.
Last year a similar proposal was defeated due in no small part to polite, gentle communication with these same legislators/ministers.

Honorable John T. Nilson,Q.C., minister of Environment
361 Legislative Building
Regina, SK
S4S OB3
e-mail minister@serm.gov.sk.ca

Honorable Brad Wall, MLA
233 Central Avenue North
Swift Current,SK
S9H Ol3

e-mail BradW@bradwall.ca

First class postage to Canada is, if memory serves, 63 cents.
Letters seem to be more influential that e-mail.
wscato
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Can you post the link where you got the info from? I don't want to flood the forum with un-necessary traffic.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Any truth to the problems/legalities of transporting firearms/ammuniton across the border?????
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

I flew American into Calgary with three birddogs and two guns in September of 2005. Canadian customs was a breeze. The US customs gave me a more thorough and irritating time than the Canadians.

Mike

wscato
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:30 am  Reply with quote

I went to Saskatoon - Swift Current this past October to Goose Hunt and didn't have any problems. I got the paperwork ahead of time for my guns and faxed it in and called and made payment to bring two guns in. Once the paperwork was approved they faxed it back to me and I breezed right through customs without any issues. I never took any shells with me because they are readily available where I hunt and it would cost a small fortune to take them on the plane.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:43 am  Reply with quote

The "link" for the info came from Canadian authorities with whom I visited while I was there. Additional information is probably in most of the current sporting magazines and is certainly in Upland Journal.
Canada appears to be re-visiting some of its more restrictive firearms legislation and some of its game laws---now is a good time for polite, considerate discourse with some of their decision makers.
Getting guns into Canada is not a problem for anyone who follows Canadian regulations.
Sporting firearms may be pre-registered by fax and with their forms (JUS909); registration fees have been reduced since last year. Clearing customs (on the Canadian side) is a breeze.

There are NUMEROUS intellectually challenged TSA employees however-----keep ALL of your paperwork until you return home.
I did have a lengthy, mindless and wasteful experience getting through customs in Toronto once when returning home ---clearing customs in Minneapolis-St.Paul is much more organized and much less a PITA.
I carry 200 rounds (allowable maximum according to Canadian regs.) packed separately from my scatterguns--no problems--but ammunition MUST be transported in original boxes. That seems to include the plain boxes that I use for my re-loads.
Don't fool around now--this is a genuine chance to positively influence the gunning opportunities and regulations of our neighbor to the north.