16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  A new (to me) 16.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Since my injury to my left (shooting) eye, I have been trying to relearn the skill of shooting flying, or, wing shooting. My lefty specific guns are likely going to find new homes, and the favorites from before, are, well, changing. Recoil, and a bit of arthritis in my right hand, are making for some mischief. The trick with the right hand is becoming “holding on tight enough to retain the gun, but, not so tight that my hand goes numb”.
Some days are better than others.
Anyway, a pump action is tough, but, the autoloaders seem to make the task a bit more approachable. I’ve been switching off between a Remington 1100 20 gauge lightweight all weather (ugly as a manure fence in a hailstorm) and this:

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/66991_600x400/] [/URL]

1956 Browning A5 standard weight 16. It has just enough “character” that I won’t be too worried about a bump or nick here or there, but, it is a good looking gun. Oddly, with the 25” barrel with no rib, it is lighter than many of the Sweet Sixteen A5s I have seen and handled. 6 lbs, 14 ozs. Choked IC, about the best for me in a woods.
I stripped it to bits:

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/66992_600x400/] [/URL]

A little dirty and dry inside, but, nothing, not a thing wrong. Great screws, that, still are. Put it together, tested the speed feed feature, tested that it reloads itself, after the shot, patterned it, and did a round of trap with it, just to say I did.

Looking forward to chasing some roosters around, next week, and continuing to learn how to shoot again.

I ended up with this 1950 M1 safety A5 12 gauge, from a friend. His Father insisted it go to me from the estate. That has happened a few times, lately:

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/66995_600x400/] [/URL]

12 top, 16 bottom.

There are three A5s here, two 12s and the new 16. Good, reliable guns.

Best,
Ted

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Yeeee Hawwww
Well done
Mike

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice.......I have a soft spot for the original A5's.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Nice guns, I appreciate a nice a5 as much as a nice sxs.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful! Although not really an autoloader guy, I would love to have one of those old A5's. There's just something about it that appeals to me, especially the magazine cutoff and speed feeding features.
robp
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:00 am  Reply with quote

looks great Ted
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Hope the A5 family is the cure you seek, that 16 is configured sweetly enough. Good luck with it.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, all.

Best,
Ted

canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Ted, I’m in awe of the challenge and your ability to rise to meet it.

Last edited by canvasback on Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Been easier to say than do, at this point, James. But, I’m trying.

Thanks.

Best,
Ted

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Ted your post got me thinking. My 16ga A5 is an old 2 1/2" gun show find in unrestored condition. The wood looks like it was used to batter through tag alders and hold down barbed wire fences. Metal is 50 pct blue. But fits me ideally and shoots great (after extensive cleaning and TLC). And like yours it is plain barrel and very quick handling. I use it to good effect in 12 ga registered skeet (after being assured it's totally legit). I was content with it.

But now after looking at your pictures I have to ask myself, Why Not Mine? A new deep blueing and some stock cleanup would certainly make it easy on the eye. But it would take some cheddar, which right now is mainly reserved for ammo. Does it make sense? Possibly, but in due season I suppose.

In the mean time I'll take it to the skeet range and run some more No. 9 through it. Thanks for the photos.

B.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve restored guns, cars, motorcycles, machinery of all types, etc. Most of the time, I’m hunting with a gun that is older than me, these days, and, with some luck these old guns will be hunting with somebody else after I’m gone. I seldom do more than service and maintenance to things today, I’ve grown comfortable with just being a good caretaker, instead of a restorer. A machine that has been cleaned, adjusted, lubricated, and maintained, in the condition I otherwise found it, is reward enough.

If doing the “big one” , as my friends and I refer to a frame off on an old car, is in the cards for your old Browning, you will get a pretty gun, in addition to a good working gun. Enjoy the process and the result. Show us how it looks when you get it wrapped up.

I should mention that a friend I’ve never met (one of you guys) saw to it that I have a second, 27” full choke matted rib Sweet Sixteen barrel for the gun. He gave it to me. When I have a moment, I am going to pattern it, and shoot a round of trap with it to see how everything functions. The thing that is amazing to me, is, even though it is 2” longer then the standard barrel, the handling dynamics seem identical, to me. The Sweet barrel is about the same weight as the shorter, Standard barrel.

I think, years ago, I gave a barrel to a kid on this site, who was just starting out. What comes around goes around.

Best,
Ted

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Ted, those guns look great. What process or product did you use to get those stocks looking so nice? Best of luck on the shoulder change-over. I've know others that have had to do that, and it worked out pretty well for them. I've tried it myself and it works OK gun up, but the tough part for me was the mount, which needs a lot of "grooving" to be as natural as it should be for hunting. Where there's a will, there's a way and I bet you're on that way. Best Wishes!
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Both stocks were just wiped with a rag with some lemon grass oil on it. Maybe 4-5 drops on top of a damp with water spot of about the same 4-5 drops. The water keeps the oil “up” on the rag. Wipe on, wipe off.
Lemon oil just cleans very lightly. The stocks are in beautiful shape, the 16 has seen much more use than the 12, but, they are both very nice for 1950s era guns.

Best,
Ted

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

The 27” second barrel for the A5 16 (Thanks, Jim!) came off a 1971 Sweet Sixteen. The handling dynamics are very similar to the original, 1956 25” Standard 16 barrel, when installed on the gun. The Sweet barrel has that cool, old time matting on the top. I’m not much of a full choke shooter, actually prefer mod for trap and roosters.

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/68029_600x400/] [/URL]

I’ll either have the choke opened up to modified, or fit it for screw in chokes. I suppose I should at least pattern it, and shoot a round of trap with it to say I did it, before I send it off. I’m thinking the screw in chokes would leave the original barrel without much to do, a bit redundant.

Best,
Ted