16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  24" 16G Over/Under
Rdg
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Just curious if there are any options for finding one.
Just want a nice short gun for the woodcock/grouse woods.

I think Browning made a 16G Upland Special at one point but I'm sure finding one for a decent price will be near impossible.

I contacted FAIR (I have a FAIR 16G and really like it) about one but the shortest they offer in 16G is 26".

It looks like Upland Gun Co does a 25" but quite the price and wait.

Anyone ever look into just biting the bullet and buying a off the shelf 16G O/U and having it cut and thin walled chokes installed?
Maybe a Franchi or the FAIR SLX? Maybe really go low prices and cut down a Savage 555.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:42 am  Reply with quote

AYA used to replicate the Churchill XXV, with 25 inch barrels. Both Churchill and AYA used a specific high rib to compensate for the sight plane of the shorter barrels.
Bill K
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I have a Browning Citori ‘Upland’ in 16 GA with 24” barrels, SICs, schnabel fore-end, and English straight stock.

I special ordered it about 7 years ago, the gun was NOS, and it ran me about $1,700.

They are out there, but maybe difficult to find - I think the situation is Browning made up a couple of batches of them in the past, and one distributor has an exclusive on them (but I don’t remember who that is).

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:02 am  Reply with quote

Have one those Browning US hens teeth from the 80's run and love it, my main upland and target gun until the M90 came along. Had to add some weight to slow it down right around #7 and IMO just about the perfect bird and bunny/brushbust gun, although wishing it had DT's.

Cutting a "lesser" grade gun down for a fast spreading quick pointing upland gun, true old school, go for it, 10min w/hack or chop saw and file, good to go. Nice thing about that is no worries in crumby weather or dragging in the mud crawling under impenetrable multi-flora rose/blackberry patches. If installing choke tubes is wanted, word to the wise, before cutting down measure bore & barrel wall thickness where the intended chokes will go Re; some if not all aftermarket choke systems have min/max dim's that they need for a successful install. But, if you reload, things can be done to have fast and slower spreading ammo out of Cyl muzzles.

Last O/U Colonial did for me was ~$200 install + tubes + shipping.

Should be a fun project, enjoy.....