16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  WAA16 load data
H20indicted
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new to reloading and i had picked up some WAA16 claybuster wads to reload my 16ga shells and I havnt been able to find any load data for these wads and longshot powder. Any help would be fantastic. TIA
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome on your first posting

What hull will you be using?

Mike

H20indicted
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Thank you! I was hoping to find a list of data with different hulls because I haven't figured out which ones I am going to stick with yet. I will have to look up the ones I currently have when I get back from work but they are winchester and remington polyformed hulls with plastic base wads so I dont expect to be able to reload them very many times and ofcorse its about impossible to find ammo or hulls for the 16ga im my experience.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:42 am  Reply with quote

H20indicted,

Those WAA16 will be perfect in the Remington hulls.

In the Winchester straight wall hull, the WAA16 fits sloppy and this can create (not will create) powder migration depending on how many times the loads are handled and how tight the load fits in the hull, in regards to wad column height. If you are using them for target shooting, things probably will go well. For hunting especially if you are handling the loads more than you are using them, you might run into problems.

ole_270
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:36 am  Reply with quote

I just started using the Claybuster clone of the WAA16 wad. In the past I had trouble with bloopers using the Rem SP-16 in straight wall hulls with the finer grained powders, especially Longshot. There are several threads here about flaring the powder cup on the Claybuster by rolling it against a trailer hitch ball, ball pein hammer, or box end wrench. I flared some and loaded with Longshot in clear Cheddite hulls to check migration, worked fine. Since 90% of my hulls are Federal and Cheddite I'm in the process of flaring wads, including the SP-16. The SP-16 and Claybuster are my 1 1/8 oz loads for wild pheasants and I sure don't want bloopers after finally getting in range of one.
For lighter loads I use the European wads made for the straight wall tubes.SG-16 and Z16. If Downrange ever puts on another run of the DR-16 I'll get some more for 7/8 oz clay loads.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:16 am  Reply with quote

ole_270 wrote:
I just started using the Claybuster clone of the WAA16 wad. In the past I had trouble with bloopers using the Rem SP-16 in straight wall hulls with the finer grained powders, especially Longshot. There are several threads here about flaring the powder cup on the Claybuster by rolling it against a trailer hitch ball, ball pein hammer, or box end wrench. I flared some and loaded with Longshot in clear Cheddite hulls to check migration, worked fine. Since 90% of my hulls are Federal and Cheddite I'm in the process of flaring wads, including the SP-16. The SP-16 and Claybuster are my 1 1/8 oz loads for wild pheasants and I sure don't want bloopers after finally getting in range of one.
For lighter loads I use the European wads made for the straight wall tubes.SG-16 and Z16. If Downrange ever puts on another run of the DR-16 I'll get some more for 7/8 oz clay loads.

If you make your own fillers for the shot cup like I do , i have no problem from 5/8's oz to 1oz of shot. But I much prefer 20-28 powder over lonshot.
H20indicted
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you for all the information! I only have access to longshot and titewad powders right now and I've read that titewad is only suitable for 12ga and the only wads I was able to pick up were the claybuster WAA clones and thats why I am looking for load data with the two of those. If I have to I suppose I could look for different wads but I'm not sure what the availability is on other wads. Also with the primers being extremely hard to find, does anybody have experience using cheddite cx2000 primers? Thanks
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

H20indicted wrote:
Thank you for all the information! I only have access to longshot and titewad powders right now and I've read that titewad is only suitable for 12ga and the only wads I was able to pick up were the claybuster WAA clones and thats why I am looking for load data with the two of those. If I have to I suppose I could look for different wads but I'm not sure what the availability is on other wads. Also with the primers being extremely hard to find, does anybody have experience using cheddite cx2000 primers? Thanks

I use cheddite for all that take the 209 size primer. I do understand powder is hard to come by. With what you have Longshot will get you going. Bill
H20indicted
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Thats great to hear, Is there load data for cheddite primers with american hulls? My Lyman's 5th has load data for cheddite 209 type primers only with cheddite hulls. Ive seen people say they are similar to win 209 as far as data but im sure that cant be true with every different recipe.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am  Reply with quote

H20indicted wrote:
Thats great to hear, Is there load data for cheddite primers with american hulls? My Lyman's 5th has load data for cheddite 209 type primers only with cheddite hulls. Ive seen people say they are similar to win 209 as far as data but im sure that cant be true with every different recipe.

I use the same in order American or cheddite never had a problem.
H20indicted
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Still needing load data, I just got super busy and havnt had time to check what hulls I have until now. They are once fired Remington Express XLR hulls that I'm trying to find data with the WAA16 wads and Longshot powder. If anyone has any Info on that I would greatly appreciate it. TY
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Remington makes only one basic 16 gauge hull, though they come in black, green, high metal head, low metal head with possibly different plating colors on the metal head.

Hodgdon lists them as Remington SP plastic shells which is very close to Remington's description and there is a fairly good list of loads for what you are looking for:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=55

H20indicted
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I dont know how I passed over that. I have been on their website before looking for load data but i didnt even notice, maybe I was only looking in the 1-1/8oz shot and not the 1oz. Thank you for drawing my attention to that!
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Be careful with the cheddite primers and titewad. At least in 12 gauge the hogdon data shows the cheddite primer to produce the highest pressures of all primers even more than fed209a. It’s usually the opposite but for some reason with titewad the cheddites create much higher pressures.
Carnelian
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Is the clay buster WAA16 wad best used in the the old compression formed winchester hulls?