16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  trap pattern
goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:18 am  Reply with quote

How often, if at all, does a clay bird escape a shot pattern at 40-60 yards away with a full choke? I ask because we commonly shoot from 25 yards from the trap house. When we do a buddy chip, I suspect some shots are possibly 60 yards away. So if I am on the target and still miss a break on a full bird as the second shooter, did it evade the pellet pattern? Or is it because I never was on the bird in the first place?
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

My club does our league shoots at 16 yards, but during Annie Oakley shoots the birds can get out there pretty far. I've broken some birds and seen them broken out at 60 yards, but I see a lot of misses too. It's a difficult question to answer.

I'd say the only way to really get a better answer to your question is for you to pattern your gun with the loads you are using for trap and find out for yourself. Every gun is different, and patterns different loads differently. If you shoot a pattern at 60 yards and there's holes in it big enough for a bird to fly through, that's probably your answer.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:49 am  Reply with quote

It's the shooter.

If you pattern at 60 yards it will look like junk unless you are using a buffered load and even then it probably will not be the greatest pattern.

Back to the shooter. At 60 yards at a trap target that is probably not rising or going straight, even though that maybe how you perceive the target path..... those are tough targets regardless of what the pattern is.