16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  AA Spreader Load
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Way back when I had an LT20 Rem 1100 with a mod choke (.018" if I remember right) and I was hunting woodcock and just ripping them apart using 7/8 oz. of #9. I tried #7.5 but that was really no better. I ended up using 'X' spreaders that I made with #7.5 and that seemed to take care of issues at under 20 yards with tearing up birds. Then I ended up getting a nice Beretta 12 ga. Onyx. I found some nice 1 oz. loads using Alcan Airwedge wads with the Feltan Bluestreak wads over the top. That is basically a plastic gas seal with a fiber wad and nothing between the bore and the pellets. Using a skeet choke, I started tearing up birds again.......back to polywad spreaders. I can't remember what the patterns were, as it was over 30 years ago, but I remember the outcome. Once I got into the 16 gauge, I have never used anything but Polywad Spred R's.

I haven't used a spreader load on birds for awhile now, but I have played around with them on rabbit targets......I stopped playing around with spreader loads as it didn't change much. I just learned how to shoot rabbit targets.

I have never done head to head pattern tests using card and fiber versus a one piece plastic wad, so I honestly can't tell you how the actual core numbers would compare. I think we could all guess and be pretty close to the truth.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Once the weather warms up, as it is -15 degrees at 1 PM today, I am going to shoot a bunch of patterns at different yardages with different chokes, some using spreader loads and some not and post them. I will even count the pellets.

I may even break out the 12 gauge using those Alcan Air Wedge and fiber wads.