16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga sxs exposed hammers
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:46 am  Reply with quote

I usually shoot a 16 ga browning citori for trap, but I was shooting trap at friends house and one of the guys was shooting a 12 ga sxs with exposed hammers and it got me thinking it might be fun to have one. any suggestions without getting into the high price exotics?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I have had others but settled on a

Brescia

https://lsbauctions.com/5267/vincenzo-bernardelli-model-brescia-hammer-double-barrel-blue-case-colored-2-%C2%BE-side-by-side-sxs-double-barrel-shotgun-mfd-1985/

Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot club trap with the following external hammer guns;

Huqvarna under lever mod 17 & 20 both 16 & 12 guages
Husqvarna mod 51, 16 gauge with blackpowder.
Baikal TOZ66, 12guage, mostly with BP
Sauer "Reiher" 12 gauge full/full (possibly a live pigeon gun)

I also have a Merkell mod8 in 16, boxlock, but fits me perfectly. The first rounds I ever ran through it acheived 23/25 at our local "Edwardian " shoot. I would not feel hadicapped using it in any trap competition.

All were a lot of fun, and all with similar scores as my Remington 3200 that I used in registered trap.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I've been tempted by some V. Bernadellis and JP Sauers but somehow have remained strong Shocked

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

I started with a Husqvarna Model 20 with the Lefeucheux underlever design. Many have steel barrels and all chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells. If you look hard enough there are some 16 gauges out there. I always compared them to a Stevens 311. Clunky but reliable. If the bug bites hard look for a Model 51 top lever or a no-name Belgium top lever. They will be lighter and better handling.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:12 am  Reply with quote

You may want to stick with the rebounding hammer guns, I think they are the design that is safer.

Good Hunting,
Mike
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:54 am  Reply with quote

I like to hunt/shoot with hammer guns. CZ is making a modern one in 12 ga that is less than a grand. I believe it even has a safety.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Kennedy756,

12 or 16? A few years ago I bought a pretty nice Remington Model 1889 hammer gun for about $450. It's a 12. They made them in 10 ga. but I'm not sure if they made this model in 16. Remington certainly did make their hammerless doubles (the 1894) in 16, so maybe there is a chance the 1889's were also.

I have not fooled with my gun other than to graft on a "comb transplant" to raise it's drop dimensions to somewhere less than the original mile below the sighting plane, commensurately bring up the toe of the stock, and, in the process, shape it all with offset and toe-out to suit me. I can't recall the exact chokes (stamped into the water table), but they're probably about F & M. The barrels are fluid steel, not damascus. The bores are pitted, but for all I know, the shot does not know the difference.

I have hunted with it, shot a goose (with black powder) and a pheasant, but I haven't got the hang of it with hammers for upland. It's not a light gun, and also quite muzzle heavy for my tastes as an upland gun. It's great for clays. Management kicked me off the skeet field at my club for shooting black powder -- they didn't like the sound. WTF!!! Black is a mess anyway, so I don't do that anymore with this gun. I shoot skeet, sporties and even trap with it -- for which it is actually better suited, though I'm not. Great fun -- cheap thrills. I have thought about a back-bore of these thick barrels to take out a little of the forward weight, but I've got to stop these sow's ear to silk purse conversions somewhere. I cannot believe how nice a crisp and appropriate the trigger pulls are. If I could only have one of these in 16, I wouldn't want anything else. (Yeah, sure Laughing )

Cheers!
Tony

P.S. -- Geez . . . am I allowed to point out any disadvantage of black powder without automatically being called a racial bigot? A fellow has to be pretty careful these days. Laughing

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I've owned zillions of them. I sold two a week ago. My suggestion is to just get one that fits, just to try it out and see if you like shooting them. If you don't, you can just put it on gunbroker and get at least most of your money back. Back action hammer guns have the advantage of round body actions, which feel so great in the hands. Rebounding hammers are a must though. Non-rebounding hammers are a pita. This is my main upland gun. 16b Husqvarna 36 with jones underlever, made 1880, 30" damascus with mint bores. I've since removed the silvers pad and replaced it with a gold leaf monogrammed wood butt plate, to shave off some weight. Now weighs 6.6lbs. She's a sweet shooter with 1oz loads.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan -- Are you using dyes or stains in your wood-graining work -- or maybe both. It looks like you must color/grain the checkered areas too, and probably after checkering, right? Is the finish on top of that work a polymerized oil like Tru-Oil with the gloss rubbed down a little, or varnish (spar varnish?), or a shellac (probably not). Your work certainly is outstanding.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
UncleDanFan -- Are you using dyes or stains in your wood-graining work -- or maybe both. It looks like you must color/grain the checkered areas too, and probably after checkering, right? Is the finish on top of that work a polymerized oil like Tru-Oil with the gloss rubbed down a little, or varnish (spar varnish?), or a shellac (probably not). Your work certainly is outstanding.

Almost none of the above actually. I do use some stains, but mostly use various oils and enamels, both opaque and transparent depending on the application, which is how I'm able to do something like the hunting scene on the lower right of the stock. This particular stock was painted entirely in bright yellow enamel before glazing on thin layers of reddish grain. I did that to give it an orangish glow. I use pro custom oil for my final finish. It's a very tough oil/urethane blend satin finish that I can rub out to more gloss if necessary, and it protects the graining work that I do.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
jim18611865
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a Hopkins and Allen. It was only $400 but $1400 to restore.
Nice shootable American made hammer double.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5MX45Nis_V7aPVau8pRtY-_PNsYtwFU/view?usp=sharing

Jim
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 am  Reply with quote

jim18611865 wrote:
Here is a Hopkins and Allen. It was only $400 but $1400 to restore.
Nice shootable American made hammer double.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5MX45Nis_V7aPVau8pRtY-_PNsYtwFU/view?usp=sharing

Jim
very nice

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920