16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dog running a little hard and far
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:26 am  Reply with quote

My dog is a springer spaniel 10 months old.I took her out yesterday on pen raised pheasants for the second time and she did great she also did her fist retrieve on the last bid shot.Im am really happy with her but she runs a little big and would like to get her to hunt a little closer.Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

First year is for fun and get the dog birdy. IME having a pup run large is a good thing. You can reel them in later but awfully hard to get a boot licker to range farther down the road.

After the first year and the dog has had fun with birds and is excited about hunting introduce "Too Far". On any and all walks off lead. Shouldn't take her long to get it. At the same time I yell Too Far I also use vibrate on the Alpha which means stop and check in. Did the same with the Dogtra on my dogs prior to the Alpha. And check cord prior to that. Never took them long to learn too far. They all were collar conditioned at a young age starting with the efence around the property though.

That is also the time I introduce "Hen". I assume you have taught her Leave It. Now use "Hen Leave It". After a couple of months you can just call Hen without the leave it and she should leave the bird and start hunting again. Even if it is a preserve bird or a wild rooster and you missseeeddd... But works extremely well when hunting with someone else on wild phez. We call hen so that someone else that may not have got a good look doesn't shoot. All our dogs will layoff and start hunting again at the word Hen by the age of 2 or so.

Just finished vacuuming the living room and if I could just get the 16 month old to stop attacking the vacuum... Afraid this one is going to be a puppy for a long time.
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info this is my first hunting dog so I have a lot to learn.
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Purchase a copy of Ken Roebuck's "Gun-Dog Training Spaniels and Retrievers" and follow it to the Tee.
bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

You are lucky that she is birdy give her time it will all fall into place .
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Aurelio,

Ken Shaffer is giving you good advise, pick up a copy of Ken Roebuck's Gun Dog Training Spaniels & Retrievers and use his training methods, they work really well.
We used his methods on our Boykin dogs long ago, his training methods are sound and they work.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:47 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info I am really having a lot of fun watching her work.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 am  Reply with quote

My 9 mo. old setter is ranging out to about 4-600 yds, but he's bred as an all age field trial dog, and I hunt in big, open country. A friend I hunt with has a 3 yr old wirehair, and his last point on chukars was at about 1200 yds. Took us nearly 20 minutes to get there. He held. Impressive stuff.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, got my new dogtra and going to take her out on some pheasants later today and use to far.She has been running 30 to 50 yards but being a flusher I want to keep her under thirty.I can tell when she gets birdy she will slow down.Thanks again guys for all the good info.
silverbowff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Collar conditioning a young dog will make life for you and the pup a lot easier and prevent a lot of problems. I have had 8 retrievers and 3 pointers over the last 50 years and made mistakes along the way. The dog needs to know what all the commands mean before the collar is introduced.
Cheers,
Jim

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16