PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

I look at my current safe and it's fillings:
a couple few auto .22's - rarely used at this point
a 20 pump, a 16 single
Dad's light 12 A-5 revived with a synthetic stock "Lil Black"
my auto 12 that doesn't work - "POS"
Dad's auto 3.5" "Big Black"
My Ranger 16 sxs

I'm thinking of turning in a few auto .22's for a new Remington "Model Five" - 5 shot bolt action .22 LR - a sort of a prep/training tool for a new-ish "Model Seven" in .308 (I don't know why .308 - looking for an all-around north America round...30-06 was replaced by .308 by the military, that's enough for me). I don't even deer hunt with the Marlin 30-30 that's in there, why do I need a bolt action!?...

I seem to be reverting back to a time gone by for reasons I cannot fathom - I was never a part of them in the first place so I'm not reliving the "glory days". from what I read, the game was more scarce then than now...

Plotting and planning a gun safe that will suit most North American hunts I can only dream about going on...

Am I victim of too much Gray's Journal, etc? Part of a popular trend in hunting or just feeling currently misplaced in this supertechnofiber stock, depleted uranium ammo and ultralloy gun world that is slowly taking hold of today's hunting/shooting "sports"

I kinda just want it to be fun when I go out in the field and not worry about what equipment I'm carrying...or rather, be specific about how I do things and not worry when I'm in the field.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

I am a firm believer of owning more than you can possibly use/shoot/trade in a lifetime.However in your case you might be happier with a smaller battery that does not collect dust and will see more use--that's fine too---No need to make excuses for your buying/trading decisions here.A nice bolt 22,a 308,a 16 and the loaders to keep 'em all running will work just fine.A gun sitting around that never sees any use would serve you better in a trade whether for another gun or that loader.