16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  From right side to left side - problems?
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

As I have changed from shooting from the left shoulder to from the left one, I am considering to restock some sbs double gun. But I hesitate as there perhaps could be problems with the barrel regulation. as the recoil will move the barrels in opposite direction sideways.

A friend had a Bockdrilling (22 Hornet, 8x57IRS and 16Ga kombo) restocked from right to left, and the gunsmith had some seroius difficulties to make it shoot well to the same point of impact again - there was a remarkable spread between the barrels with the new stock. Should one expect the same problems with a sbs shotgun?

I ask, because I cannot anymore shoot from the right side, and there are hardly any left handed double guns available; I want to get a 16 ga hammer gun. Thus, I am grateful for all your inputs and experiences!

P.

Falling asleep on the gather'd leaves with my dog and gun by my side.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146955&sid=328883fde0b0653a2cd1498117829c53

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Proper Barrel Regulation is separate from stock fit. The restocking of your friend’s gun from right to left and the divergent point of impact are not a cause and effect.

Divergence is either misaligned barrels or off centered choking.

Test the gun you want to have stock work on to ensure it patterns where the barrels point Once you have ensured it does you can move onto working on fitting the stock.

It is next important to determine how much cast change you need on that gun shooting from your left shoulder.

Depending on the amount of cast in you gun it may or may not be possible to bend the current stock. Or you may have to do a complete restock.

Note tigger configuration, if a double trigger gun may require adjustment to change which barrel shoots first. Left handed shooters often fire left barrel first for the same reason right handed shooters fire the right, the torsion effect of the SXS gun recoil.

Ultimately your best course of action is to find a gun fitter who can evaluate your urgent gun fit and amount of change required.

Lastly left handed cast guns often sell at auction in the EU for lower prices than the same gun for a right handed shooter