16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR16 update
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Kevin and the issue is they are a “compounding and mixing” company and have to have all of the components in stock for a given wad before they can do a run. He said he is missing one component for the DR16 formula.

So, on top of the storm damage they’ve experienced the past few years, the Texas storm impacted production of the resins and then 2 years of COVID shutdowns coupled with the supply chain issues have created a very difficult business environment for them (and a lot of other companies).

He did say that there is a chance that he’ll get the ingredient he needs before long and might be able to produce DR16’s mid to late 2nd quarter.

Thats’s good news but more importantly I know we all want to see Downrange make it through this as a company.
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Great news, hopefully
Mike

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

January of last year talked to him and he was hoping to have a run of DR16 by the end of that January then the plastic resin shortage hit.

He has had a rough 5 years no doubt about that. When Kevin first started out as operational manager at DR I did cold weather testing for him before he got a commercial freezer. Not hard to get well below zero here LOL. I talked to Kevin last week and we talked for almost an hour.

Told him I seen the DR16 turquoise green dye in some WJ wads on TS.com and someone there had asked what was up with the funky color?

He laughed and said yes dye is also in short supply. He made up a batch of those to take to the SW Grand, felt the color was appropriate for the largest shoot in the Southwest. He is waiting on Gold to make another batch of Spolar Wads.

But said he has enough of the dye to do a run of the DR16 wads left.

Said to call him back end of March when he gets ready for another subgage run.

However he also did mention as tight as things have been he needs to make sure everything that drops out of a mold gets sold ASAP. Think it is likely good that we are contacting him that makes at least 3 of us that have in the last week.

Have been thinking about it and considering contacting Recob's. That is where he told me a year ago all the DR16 would end up. It is also where I first learned about Kevin and Downrange.

In fact going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. Fine for us to all contact him but he needs to sell cases and cases of wads. So thinking if maybe Recob's is willing to track demand they might be able to talk him into doing a run.

We would have to be honest in what we tell Recob's we want and go through with it once they are made. I can't decide if I should order 4 cases or 5. Thinking 5. Just ordered another case of Gualandi 16 super g mini tuwg2116 wads from Precision (same as BPI SG16) last night. I hate to run out of wads. Powder, hulls, primers, or lead for that matter. Almost out of DR16 now so shooting 1 oz. for the most part.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Well I don't shoot to many DR'S but I would order a case. Seeing I have 5 cases of cb clones. Probably full case of Remingtons 1oz & 1-1/8 .
win7stw
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have some of these that I’ve never used. Anybody have a good WinCF recipe?

Purple16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

How many wads in a batch?

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Just hung up with Recob's a little while ago. She said that they did preorders back in 2015 for the DR16 wads and worked with Kevin on it. I did some quick digging on here and looks like Mike - skeettx - got that ball rolling back then. So now I know that I am on the right track Very Happy

She will contact Kevin tomorrow and then call me back to let me know if he would be willing to do a run and they would assign a person to do the preorders to keep track of demand. As soon as I hear back from her I will post it up in a new thread of who to contact at Recob's. Provided Kevin is willing to do it, fingers crossed!
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Great. Thanks so much.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I’m always pleased when more 16 ga products become available, but would someone please indicate how the DR16 differs from other 16 ga wads such as SG16, Z16 (AKA Trap Commander) and similar wads?

TIA
B.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

think of the DR as the 16ga version of a 12ga Win "L" wad .Short , small vol shot cup and a long cushion section .

16gapop
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

The DR16 seems to have a smaller gas seal diameter than the SG16. The DR16 works well for me reloading the black Remington game hulls with 7/8 oz shot. I think the Rem hulls have a tapered wall thicker at the base. The SG16 doesn't work well for me in Rem hulls. When loading straight wall hulls the SG16 works fine. I load with 1oz for field loads.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

The DR16 differs from an SG16 because it will handle payload weights 3/4 oz. and 7/8 oz. easily. The SG16 won't handle 3/4 or 7/8 oz. in a straight wall 2 3/4" hull. That is the biggest difference. There are some folks that have used the DR16 for 5/8 and 1 oz. loads also, but I have never tried those two payloads..

The Remington hulls aren't tapered, but they do have a smaller I.D. than the rest of the straight wall hulls. The SG16, SG16S and the B & P Z2/M 16 gauge are a tight fit in the Remington hull. I kinda like the CB0100-16 and CB0078-16 in the Remington hull best of all.

I have never had any powder migration with the DR16 in any hull.

Nick made the DR16 right.

I am getting down to the last bag of 500.....I need another case.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
The SG16 won't handle 3/4 or 7/8 oz. in a straight wall 2 3/4" hull.

Ok, thanks I get it now. Totally agree, even 1 oz is troublesome in 2 3/4” euro hull with SG16, so 7/8 oz wouldn’t work at all. That’s why I went to 2 1/2” hulls.

Thanks
B.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I'm kinda re-learning loading Nitro 100NF - haven't used Nitro in eons . Shoot mostly skeet with my 11-48 . Have some RST 21/2'' cases . Usually start with 14 grns of fast powder whether RD , Clays , etc , so started there . 3/4 loads nicely and really pop out of the gun ! So , for S-N-G , dropped the load to 5/8 . Had 2 24's , no weak hits and the gun just pops them out and purrs like a kitten . DR loads . Fit a little low , but still crimp nicely . No possible way to do this with any other wad without fillers . ( this may be a use for those old Herters wads , but need about a 1/2'' 28 ga filler to get them nice ) . Mark , only have a bag and a 1/2 left also , so will really have the creeps about the wads if they don't show up again . The DR , to me , is one of the best creations in shotgunning in the last 50 yrs ! (16ga 5/8 loads , just think what guys would think if we were shooting these say in the 60's/70's !!

lbrown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Really good discussion of the DR 16 issue. I'm running short, and I find that wad works better for me than anything else I've tried in the Herter's (Cheddite) hulls. I have a fair supply of those already loaded and 3+ flats of unfired 1 oz 8's. Some friends up here in northern Wisconsin would probably also buy at least a case each.