16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR16 update
lbrown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:45 am  Reply with quote

16gapop wrote:
The DR16 seems to have a smaller gas seal diameter than the SG16. The DR16 works well for me reloading the black Remington game hulls with 7/8 oz shot. I think the Rem hulls have a tapered wall thicker at the base. The SG16 doesn't work well for me in Rem hulls. When loading straight wall hulls the SG16 works fine. I load with 1oz for field loads.

Have you tried the Claybuster wad and 7/8 oz shot in the black Rems? Works well for me . . . but the black Rems have even less hull life than the Herters hulls. I looked back on old loads I'd used in the black Rems with the old WAA16 wad. With the Claybuster being a clone of that wad (except for the "bump" in the bottom of the cup) I figured it would be a natural to use in the black Rems. Has worked out very well for me in the black Rems. And unlike the DR 16's, the Claybusters aren't that hard to find. I'd have to find a whole lot of the black Rems to put much of a dent in my CB16 supply.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:12 am  Reply with quote

The only problem with the Remington hull and Claybuster wad. 500 hulls may last for 3 reloads.

I have Cheddite(Winchester) hulls with 5 -7 reloads. RIO hulls with 3 that will last another 3 reloads. Federal hulls usually last for 4 to 5 reloads.

The CB's are nice wads and I like them in Rem hulls, but.......I would much rather have the DR16's in the other hulls. Another upside is there are more options using the DR16 wads.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:37 am  Reply with quote

exactly Mark ... I haven't had great luck with RGL's with any wad and got more than 2 loads . Being a save-a - holic , i do save them ... however , factory fired RGL cases are the BOMB !! Like them best !. Can use some dr's in them , but have been using the DR's in RST's lately - just because .

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:41 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
I'm kinda re-learning loading Nitro 100NF - haven't used Nitro in eons . Shoot mostly skeet with my 11-48 . Have some RST 21/2'' cases . Usually start with 14 grns of fast powder whether RD , Clays , etc , so started there . 3/4 loads nicely and really pop out of the gun ! So , for S-N-G , dropped the load to 5/8 . Had 2 24's , no weak hits and the gun just pops them out and purrs like a kitten . DR loads . Fit a little low , but still crimp nicely . No possible way to do this with any other wad without fillers . ( this may be a use for those old Herters wads , but need about a 1/2'' 28 ga filler to get them nice ) . Mark , only have a bag and a 1/2 left also , so will really have the creeps about the wads if they don't show up again . The DR , to me , is one of the best creations in shotgunning in the last 50 yrs ! (16ga 5/8 loads , just think what guys would think if we were shooting these say in the 60's/70's !!

I love the DR16'S for 5/8's oz on piece protection shoots. Leaves good size pieces for my partner on second shot.ill probably go to a 7/8's oz this summer to save on shot and powder bak to the 24 yard then go to 1oz on back and shootoffs.
Since I only shoot trap games mainly once a week. Sometimes twice a week on certain occasion.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:34 am  Reply with quote

HB - this past summer when we set up for the kids to shoot their state trap scores , we had some time to kill B4 starting . Had my 28ga Ruger , and some 5/8 test loads . One of the kids was intrigued , so we snuck down and shot maybe 10 shots . I think we broke 7 or 8 with the little gun/loads ! It can start a war at my trap club talking about these LITTLE S__ts ! This new effort to shoot my 48 16ga with these new loads has me totally intrigued about trap this summer . I REALLY feel a good 16yd shooter can shoot these with no repercussions , just have the E-B-G-B's trying it impartially !!My main problem is learning to shoot trap either left eyed or left handed with my eyes being what they are ! It isn't the loads that miss the targets , it is BILL !!

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't hear back from Recobs this week, not sure if Karen got ahold of Kevin or not. And am not totally aware of the progression required, if Kevin needs permission from Nick or not. Then there is the whole supply chain thing.

Thought it would help Kevin to make a run if he knew what the actual demand was for them. Last couple of days several other people outside of this thread have let me know that they have also talked to Kevin. Which I think is a good thing...

Hopefully next week will hear back from Karen and be able to post an update. And fingers crossed that it will be good news.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe a call to Kevin isn't a bad idea!!

lbrown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:26 am  Reply with quote

For those of us who reload the 16ga Herters hulls using the DR16 wads, which (if any) of the Ballistic Products Cheddite hulls can we use as replacements once we've shot our way through our supply of Herters hulls??
Thanks.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Herter's hulls are Cheddites.

Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Black herters hulls are cheddites and purple herters are federal from my experience.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Stx4wheeler wrote:
Black herters hulls are cheddites and purple herters are federal from my experience.

I've not seen any black 16 gauge Herter's hulls but I would suspect that they are Cheddite.

The purple Herter's hulls are definitely Cheddite and were loaded by Cheddite in Italy. My wife still has a flat or two of them.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:00 am  Reply with quote

DownRange can run DR's without Nick if the formula stays the same ... The problem is when the resin isn't the same as the prescribed formula , then Nick has to sign off - can be complicated !!

lbrown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:45 am  Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think it will take either the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus to show up with them . . . and I stopped believing in both of those back when Ike was still president.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm beginning to think it will take either the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus to show up with them . . . and I stopped believing in both of those back when Ike was still president.

I'm with you. If they ever do show up again I will buy them, IF the price isn't ridiculous.

In the mean time I am going to go to Remington hulls with the CB0078-16 wad. Gonna send a few new loads to Mr. Armbrust.

I will post the loads when I get the info. Probably be another 2-3 weeks.

lbrown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:57 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Quote:

I'm with you. If they ever do show up again I will buy them, IF the price isn't ridiculous.

In the mean time I am going to go to Remington hulls with the CB0078-16 wad. Gonna send a few new loads to Mr. Armbrust.

I will post the loads when I get the info. Probably be another 2-3 weeks.

Here's one for you to try:

Black Rem GL hull, CB 7/8 wad. Win 209 primer. 15gr Unique.

That's only a minor modification from a load I sent to Armbrust back when the WAA16 (with filler) was what we were using regularly for 7/8 oz loads. It tested out at 1214 fps, 8666 psi. I reduced the powder charge to 15 grains when substituting the CB wad for the Win, figuring that they're essentially the same wad minus the "bump" in the bottom of the cup to reduce shot capacity. I did not send any of those modified loads to Armbrust. I expect even lighter on the powder would be OK, dropping further down into the mid-7K range pressure and somewhere around 1150 velocity. Reloading with the above recipe worked well in the Rem hulls. Produced good crimps but with the expected short hull life.