16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Duck gun options - or rather the lack thereof!
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

So I'm sure there are a bunch of duck hunters in the 16ga society and I'm sure many of them have had to listen to all the vitriol lately of the most awesome 20ga renaissance. People (I think) are buying 20ga auto loaders and then sending them to guys who do upgrades that at best have marginal increases in performance. When they are all said and done they have over $2500 bucks in what in IMHO is a marginal package at best. Then they go pay way more than we ever had to for ammo and claim victory. They don't seem to bag any more birds but they can shoot more with less wear and tear...go figure.

I'm a 16ga advocate and I'm gonna prove its worth next season with some kind of 16ga duck killer. My issue is I'm not sure yet what that will be. I have a beautiful Rem 1100 fixed choke in IC but that won't ever see the duck blind and my 525 won't make that trip either. So there is a new purchase on the horizon but there are but few options. I was hoping that maybe I'm missing something, so here goes.

In this corner dressed in many new camo patterns, and weighing in at at +/- 7 pounds with a very short and dotted record plus very few knockouts is the new Browning Auto 5. (smattering of applause).

In the opposite corner...wearing wooden underpants with some pitting and a bit of rust, weighing in at 6 to 8 pounds depending many factors, is the tried and true 16ga knockout artist! Pick your fav...pump or auto doesn't really matter as long as you shoot it well. And the crowd goes wild!.

All kidding aside I'm sure the 16 can run with these tricked out 20's but there just aren't any other options that I'm aware of. I was hoping there may be an aftermarket option for old guns that replaces the furniture. I may just have to bite the bullet and pony up for the new Browning. But at $2200 bucks I can get 3 old 1100's and use one for a boat paddle!

Somebody help me! Are there any options out there with synthetic furniture on the market? I love the Tristar but they don't offer that in anything but wood that I'm aware of. I know you can take wood into the duck pit but eventually its gonna swell and fail.

As always...thanks in advance!

P.s. I load my own 16ga so i can put together some great duck killing bismuth. I ran some 12ga 2 3/4 bismuth this year and it performed great...#3.5 bismuth was just like the old days with #4 lead! I'm sure the 16ga bismuth loads will be just as deadly...and you can bet your sweet ass it'll be patterned and ready.

Orwell

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/a5/a5-wicked-wing-sweet-sixteen-mossy-oak-bottomland.html

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:35 am  Reply with quote

A 16ga 1100 for $700? Holy cow; where's the BI(right)N button??

Is having 3 shells in the gun a major factor? How much do you hunt? i.e. how many waterfowl shells a season do you shoot?

If budget is <$1k'ish and only a couple boxes a season and 2 shells is acceptable, get one of those Turkish O/U's and if camo is that important to you, spray paint some camo on it or colored duct tape or have it dipped & go hunt'em up.

If gotta have 3 an older A5, R11, 11-48, S48, 870, 37 or 500, replace OEM with a Boyds stock or spray paint or dip, go get'em.

If grinding through a case or more of shells a season then an 870 or nothing new under $1.5-2k and learn how to deep clean it or have your gunsmith learn how to clean it.

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:46 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-16-gauge/cz-redhead-premier-16-ga.cfm?gun_id=101843408

Cabelas has two of these marked down. Leaves some money leftover for cerakoting.

Or find a GDR simson/Sauer from https://simpsonltd.com/ . They tend to be heavier than the prewar guns and can be had for $450-600. Again, finish as you see fit. Usually choked tight, which is fine with bismuth as your aware, if you wish, opening the chokes to suit your needs is completely doable.
Jta5er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I bought one of these to do what you are thinking about Poldi elktro thick barrels and m/Im chokes. Tough as nails and ugly but I thought perfect for 16 duck and goose gun. Usually 500.00 or so

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:05 am  Reply with quote

maybe an old Savage/Stevens double . they are heavier framed , tighter choked and should be great for Ducking with Bizz ! Usually not too expensive .

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Wood stocks have been surviving duckblinds for well over 100 years. I shoot 1 oz of Bismuth 4's out of my 37's with no adverse affects to anything but ducks and the occasional goose. Tristars have been getting some good reviews over on Shotgun World.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:06 am  Reply with quote

How about a new A5 using TSS shot.......done.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:27 am  Reply with quote

I was shocked at the price of 1100s. After they quit building them, the prices went nuts.

I’m not a duck hunter, but, would think an older A5, maybe a little shop worn, would be a great option. Unfortunately, they are sometimes priced as much as the new version. I recently watched an A5 16 gauge, that was painted camo, go for $750, which, was more than I would have paid.

But, it would have been a sound duck gun.

Best,
Ted

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
I was shocked at the price of 1100s. After they quit building them, the prices went nuts.

I’m not a duck hunter, but, would think an older A5, maybe a little shop worn, would be a great option. Unfortunately, they are sometimes priced as much as the new version. I recently watched an A5 16 gauge, that was painted camo, go for $750, which, was more than I would have paid.

But, it would have been a sound duck gun.

Best,
Ted

I agree .
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Wood stocks have been surviving duckblinds for well over 100 years. I shoot 1 oz of Bismuth 4's out of my 37's with no adverse affects to anything but ducks and the occasional goose. Tristars have been getting some good reviews over on Shotgun World.

This. All of this.

My main duck gun in SD while waiting for 1000 to roll around to hunt phez is an Upper Sandusky 37 12 ga. with AAA wood and a KF 28" bbl. with matte finish.

My grandfather didn't hunt with no plastic shotgun, or camo for that matter.

Then again I have access to 12 sections of private land and the land owner only allows pumps and break action guns. His sandbox so his rules. When hunting potholes on public land more times than not use a 30" Cordoba which is the Super Sport but for hunting. Honestly there is no difference in my kill ratio or birds flaring between the 2 guns. I also hunt with a Toller my dog is my decoy, so I hunt waterfowl differently than most people.

Have a newer A5 and only put a couple thousand rounds through it and the extractor broke shooting sporting clays at Horse and Hunt. The new A5 is a delicate little thing IMO. Stopped at Ahlmans on the way home and being an authorized Browning repair facility they had me in and out in 20 minutes. Another gentleman was there with an older A5 while I was waiting. He wasn't so lucky and they told him it would be a month or more before they could have him and running. He wanted it for some vintage shoot up in the Cities and wasn't going to make it. There are drawbacks to shooting older guns.

Had my A5 converted to a grouse gun and Briley cut the bbl. to 23" and Mark Larson shaped the grip to a proper radiused grip. I really don't consider the new A5 a high volume gun but fine for occasional hunting.

Have a Tristar G2 Bronze and consider it more reliable than the A5 for high volume shooting (gasp!). And I shoot it very well, sounds like the original poster may as well.

If I was looking for a 16 ga. waterfowl gun I would go with the Tristar G2. Then have it either hydro dipped or cerakoted. If done right it will be sealed as tight as the bark on a tree. And shouldn't run more than $300-$400. Unless money were no objection then the new A5 should be fine as a waterfowl hunting gun in one of the new configurations if you were so inclined.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/128753/tristar+viper+g2+16+gauge+28+5%2b1+3+bronze+cerakote+semi-gloss+turkish+walnut+right+hand+3+choke+tubes

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

H. Orwell -- If you want a reliable, inexpensive duck gun it is really hard to beat a slide action -- a pump. You won't have any fiddling around with what load cycles your gun under what conditions of weather, lubrication or the hull or brand choice of your ammo. If you can shuck it, a pump will eat it. You have several good choices in inexpensive pumps: Ithaca 37, Browning BPS, Winchester Models 97, 12 and 1200, Remington Models 31 and 870, and actually a lot of others like Savage/Stevens and High Standard and Mossberg, Marlin, various stuff under the Monkey Ward Western Field brand and Sears JC Higgins and Ted Williams. Commit yourself to learning to use a pump, if you haven't already. It actually is quite natural.
Citori16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

I use my Citori WL for all my duck hunting unless I'm near the salt, or have the possibility to shoot passing geese that won't decoy. I have shot it with both camo tape & nekkid, the ducks don't seem to care but I still do if the sun is out. I have taken a few geese with it.

I would also have no problem shooting ducks with my Savage SxS, but I just shoot the Citori better, especially on those faster ducks that only buzz the tower.

Would have no problem using an old Ithaca 37, either, other than fumbling for the safety and shucking.

The Flues, however, would not see a duck load. I think just putting one in the chambers would cause it to shatter, never mind the mud from the swamp.

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have long thought the Winchester Model 21 in 16ga is an ideal Duck gun for shooting over decoys. One day I hope to find a good candidate with double triggers. They come onto the market time to time, but to date my pocket book and the right gun have not met timing wise.

My current duck gun is a 12 ga M21 is poor shape looks wise, but solid.