16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Double Vision & new Comp 16 32"
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I've known Double Vision for more than 20 years now he is one of the first people I met when moving here. Shooting skeet half way between us. We would call each other back then to see if the other would show up so that we had someone to pull and often it would be just the 2 of us.

Learned the hard way to not shoot one of his guns because I would more times than not end up buying one. So when he purchased a B. Rizzini 30" Comp 16 last year every time he offered it to me to shoot I declined knowing what was coming next. Have 2 B. Rizzini guns one which my youngest son placed Mn. ATA class runner up with at the age of 14. It now has more than 100K rounds through it without a hiccup.

I handled his Comp 16. Didn't shoot it knew better. But I touched it apparently that is all it takes....

Pacific Sporting Arms sells them as fast as they come in. I purchased mine sight unseen.

Of course went with the 32"

And there are apparently some changes for 2022. The Competition 16 receiver engraving is not filled in with black. Has an adjustable comb from the factory. Mine weighs 8 more oz. than his which I assume is ~4 oz. from the comb hardware and another 4 oz. from the extra 2" bbl. length.

Shot it today for the first time. Need to have the LOP adjusted and pitch adjusted 2°. Send a tube to Briley and have them make a pair of .005 and a pair of .012.

But think I am going to like this gun a lot despite shooting SxS target guns for the last 2 years.

In 5 stand today only mustered a 21 with it and a 22 with the SxS. But pretty sure I can make it work for me once tweaked. And get used to sustained lead again, narrow bbl. view, etc.

I just had to touch his, sighhh....
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Here Kitty Kitty........

STOP, you two are going to cost me $$$$$$$.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:16 am  Reply with quote

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmBApfZEj] [/URL]

Life is short. Get what makes you happy.
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Mikes new Comp16 wood is even more spectacular in person, but then so is his Dickinson SxS target gun just to the right in the pictures. Doesnt seem to matter which gun he grabs though, he just shoots the lights out with whatever is in his hands. Nice addition Mike! Was great to see everyone and already cant wait for the next shoot.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Missed being there. Next time!

There are shotguns to break in. Cool

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnfk8NIij] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/po5m1yUcj] [/URL]
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Nice Looking gun Dave . is that a new acquisition ?
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:17 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:

Thanks. It is. I ordered another 30" 16 with a long trigger tang. I wanted a single trigger on this one and it will be mostly a range gun. I also have a 30" 28 ga. coming at the end of the month.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:27 am  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
fn16ga wrote:

Thanks. It is. I ordered another 30" 16 with a long trigger tang. I wanted a single trigger on this one and it will be mostly a range gun. I also have a 30" 28 ga. coming at the end of the month.

Please don't let me touch or shoot your new gun Dave! I've loved the looks of the TG since I seen my first one almost 20 years ago at the Cabela's gun library in Owatonna.

Love my basic Iside for hunting but those double triggers are a real pain in the cold.

Now I feel so inadequate LOL. It needs a single trigger, upgraded wood, 30" bbl. and of course long tang. I was just fine with short tangs until SOMEONE pointed out the difference to me... Did I mention please don't let me touch your new Iside?!
Very Happy
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, you were the one who made me aware of the T-Golds and how nice they are! This is all your fault. Seriously this is one beautiful shotgun. After trying almost every SxS under the sun I've come to realize that these Isides are the guns for me. Can't wait for the little 28 gauge Prestige Tartaruga Gold to roll in; long tang of course. Might not hit a damned thing with it, but it will be a nice little nugget just to have.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Comp 16 and 16 gauge Plantation Sporter! They sure look beautiful.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:02 am  Reply with quote

I tried to custom order an Iside but I couldn't get them to get back to me and give me a firm price quote. Then I spotted a new Dickinson Estate 16 last week and snatched it up. Gorgeous gun.
Ejectors, bone charcoal case coloring, engraved, long tang, nicely cut (not stamped) wrap around checkering, thin wrist, 5 tubes instead of 3, light trigger pulls, fantastic wood (similar to the one in the photo above), pattern paper showing perfectly regulated and centered pattern test, only 6.3lbs, slightly concave rib, and a beautiful zippered swede leather case. All for the same price as an Iside basic. So far, I'm ecstatic. It appears Dickinson has been listening, because this gun exhibits none of the issues I've heard about Estate's before. Going to shoot it today. If it shoots as good as it looks and handles, I'm golden.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron — What chokes come with the gun? I’ve got a 30” Comp. 16 on the way directly from Rizzini USA in Utah.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:10 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
I tried to custom order an Iside but I couldn't get them to get back to me and give me a firm price quote. Then I spotted a new Dickinson Estate 16 last week and snatched it up. Gorgeous gun.
Ejectors, bone charcoal case coloring, engraved, long tang, nicely cut (not stamped) wrap around checkering, thin wrist, 5 tubes instead of 3, light trigger pulls, fantastic wood (similar to the one in the photo above), pattern paper showing perfectly regulated and centered pattern test, only 6.3lbs, slightly concave rib, and a beautiful zippered swede leather case. All for the same price as an Iside basic. So far, I'm ecstatic. It appears Dickinson has been listening, because this gun exhibits none of the issues I've heard about Estate's before. Going to shoot it today. If it shoots as good as it looks and handles, I'm golden.

Sounds like a nice 16 there, Mark. I had one of the earlier Estates and I couldn't find anything about it that I didn't like. Let is know how it goes.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:

Sounds like a nice 16 there, Mark. I had one of the earlier Estates and I couldn't find anything about it that I didn't like. Let is know how it goes.

Here's what she looks like now. I wanted at least one gun in my safe that I can shoot any modern ammo in, and not have to worry about. Since I can't seem to leave well enough alone however, I'll probably spruce it up at some point. Enhance the grain, maybe a separate checkering panel behind the checkering line, gold leaf setters behind the receiver, etc :

Nice gun. Shoots fantastic. This the first thing I saw when I opened the case. Both barrels are perfectly regulated, which I'm thrilled about:

full choke at 20 yds, 7/8oz 7.5's. Should make a decent turkey gun:

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Apologies for hijacking this thread. Regarding the op and the comp 32", personally, I wouldn't have been too interested in something like that previously. But now, after shooting this Dickinson and seeing it's effectiveness, I definitely would consider a dedicated 30 or 32" sxs range gun.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Apologies for hijacking this thread. Regarding the op and the comp 32", personally, I wouldn't have been too interested in something like that previously. But now, after shooting this Dickinson and seeing it's effectiveness, I definitely would consider a dedicated 30 or 32" sxs range gun.

Mark no need to apologize to me! Been meaning to send you my Dickinson 16 and 20 to reinforce the thin wood areas so that they don't do what the 12 did to me. But you did your miracle work on it and can't even tell it has been touched, you are magic when it comes to wood. I knew all 3 were at risk when I picked them out with the grain flow in the wrist but that grade 4 wood on each was pick of the litter and drew me in like a moth to a candle flame. I just couldn't help myself...

And yours looks fantastic! Great score Very Happy I'd be happy with it the way it is and here you are talking improvements already, but you have a great eye for such things. Me not so much LOL, at least in the raw.

Shot 5 stand at a heated range today even though it did get up to 6° ABOVE zero. Shot 2 rounds with the Comp 16 and a 18 & 21. Two rounds with the Dickinson 16 ga. SxS Plantation Sporter were 22 & 23. So I am going to go with the Dickinson Sporters can do everything any of my other guns can.

Shoot your new Dickinson well and often!

Sporting Days wrote:
Cold Iron — What chokes come with the gun? I’ve got a 30” Comp. 16 on the way directly from Rizzini USA in Utah.

Congrats on the new incoming gun! I am sure that you will love it. LOP on mine from the factory is 14 5/8" and need it cut to 14 .5 and a microcell pad installed on it. Mine also came with a factory installed adjustable comb which appears to be new and not even on the website yet. 5 choke tubes included.

Cyl .010
IC .018
Mod
IM
Full

Don't recall what the Mod-Full measured but they are tight as well. Briley is making me extended tubes with Spectrum bands, hopefully soon:

2x .006 for skeet\soft courses
2x .012 for 5 stand\SC
2x .018 for big boy targets, FITASC and the better SC courses

Hope you get yours soon and enjoy it!