16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge mobil choke tube source
MoRem870
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I purchased a Tristar Infinity O/U 16 gauge the other day. The tubes that came with the gun are very tight for the choke size they indicate. (Compared to my Rem 16 ga chokes and the choke posting on this forum)

They are called out as being the Berretta/Benelli Mobil Choke style. I have looked at several sources and they have them for 12, 20, and 28 gauge - but nothing for 16 ga.

I know Briley could probably make some, but for what I paid for the gun I do not want to invest a bunch of money in tubes.

I was wondering if anyone has a source where I can purchase some additional choke tubes that I would be able to get the correct constriction?

Thanks!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Call TriStar

Get their cylinder and skeet tubes

TriStar Arms Headquarters

1816 Linn St.

North Kansas City, MO 64116

Phone: (816) 421-1400

MoRem870
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I have already contacted Tristar.

All they had was IC and larger tubes available.

From my measurements:
Skeet was IC id of .660
IC same id of Mod at .652.
Mod was closer to IM at .645
IM was closer to a Full at .636
Full was .627.

Would like to get a true Skeet and Light Mod.
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Check with Trulock or Carlson's
fourtown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:17 am  Reply with quote

I don't believe Carlson's makes any 16 ga. choke tubes.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:17 am  Reply with quote

I just got a 48 barrel with a Mobil on it .... this one is marked 1/4 - shoots about the same as an I/C . Mine is on tight (like loc tighted ) , so will be the one on the barrel as long as I have it !

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Tristar 16 ga. chokes are made by them and are not Beretta Mobil chokes, as you already found out. Beretta does not make 16 ga. choke tubes.

F.A.I.R. actually started out making choke tubes and made/make many subgauge choke tubes for other gun manufactures under the name Technichoke but in this case they do not for Tristar. At least if they do it doesn't take standard Technihoke tubes of which I have plenty.

My Tristar G2 Bronze Cyl. measures .008. IC measures .018. Full is .031

Yes they are tight LOL. I am sending the Full off to Briley in the morning noting that it measures .036 and I want 2 extended tubes with Spectrum bands in .005 and .012

When you send them a sample tube for custom tubes to be made you need to let them know what the actual constriction is in it, not the internal diameter they can measure that on their own. That way it can be bore matched and will be exactly what you are looking to achieve.

Colonial is another option for custom chokes and cheaper. However they will not bore match. They were close on my 16 ga. CZ Sharptail however, SK was .005 and LM was .015.

Briley is my preference and I am sending them tubes from three 16 ga. guns a 12 and 20 tomorrow for custom chokes.

Briley has done a lot of work for me in the past and they do a great job IME. I do know from experience just sending them a tube marked Full without you measuring actual constriction in the guns bore will not get you exactly what you are looking for. Of course if they have the barrel they will nail it dead nuts every time as well.

Another option is to have Briley reduce the diameter of your existing tubes to your desired constriction which is the cheapest option, it is ~$40 a tube vs. $90 for custom flush tubes. Turn around time right now could be up to 3 months but some have said they are getting work done in ~8 weeks.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

What do you mean by bore match? Is it a problem if the barrels are sent with the order? Thanks
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:01 am  Reply with quote

I emailed Trulock today on this same matter. I have not been keeping up the last few years and just noticed the Tristar Viper G2 in 16 gauge. At the price point, I could see this becoming a useful tool when I don't want to take the chance of scratching up my new A5 or a citori.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

stevesavage wrote:
What do you mean by bore match? Is it a problem if the barrels are sent with the order? Thanks

Bore match means the choke constriction is matched to the bore, for example .005 points of constriction relative to the bore. With the barrel they can always nail it spot on of course.

Barrel diameters vary a lot. Even in a double gun there is usually .001-.002 difference between bbls. which really isn't a lot. But between different makers, or even same maker but different guns they can vary quite a bit.

Markings on a choke tube are usually meaningless unless bore matched. Even then there is no guarantee that a SK choke bore matched will provide a SK pattern at .005 constriction relative to the bore. But IME it will usually be pretty darn close. Especially compared to factory tubes.
Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure what you're looking to shoot, but unless you're looking for a full set, it's hard to beat Briley for quality in a 16 ga...what are you going to use? Cyl, IC & Mod? That takes care of most upland and waterfowl steel.

All things considered, I use my Citori WL for everything and it shows. If that Tristar is your field gun, shoot it like it's all you have.

My .02

MoRem870
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

I was wanting to get a Skeet and a Light Mod/Skeet2. I am going to use this for skeet and possible round of trap every now and then. I f I get enough chances to shoot sporting clays I would try it at that also.

I would be interested if CHarlie16ga hears anything from Trulock. With the vipers and the new s/s 16 ga bristol by Tristar there may be a good business case to offer tubes.
MoRem870
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

I was wanting to get a Skeet and a Light Mod/Skeet2. I am going to use this for skeet and possible round of trap every now and then. I f I get enough chances to shoot sporting clays I would try it at that also.

I would be interested if CHarlie16ga hears anything from Trulock. With the vipers and the new s/s 16 ga bristol by Tristar there may be a good business case to offer tubes.
MoRem870
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

MoRem870
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for the triple post- kept getting a debug error.