16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Tristar 16's , the auto
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Not wanting to hi jack the other thread !Been intrigued by these since I 1st started seeing them advertised . My main stopper is one of the old gents from the trap club got a 20ga and I'm not sure he has made it thru 50 birds yet without a failure ! He and a local smith were best buddies working on this trying to fix the failure (can't remember what - sorry ) . Just haven't wanted to delve into this in case I get to go back out west one last time ! ... any one here had much experience with one ??

DUKFVR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have the 410 & it has been flawless. Had a 28 & it was great too. the only negative I have heard is on the 410. The chambers are supposedly tighter & some shells( overseas hulls) have ejection issues. I don't know for sure .
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot them in 410/20 and 16ga w/zero malfunctions.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have the 16 ga. G2 Bronze. The G2 requires a break in period with heavy loads and states so on a sticker inside the box. From what I have read of others having issues not breaking them in is the main cause of malfunctions.

Love mine.

I feed it 1 oz. of lead at 1220 fps and it eats them with gusto. The Sweet 16 is a finicky eater in comparison. The A5 is now regulated to a grouse gun while the G2 is my target gun. And more reliable at least haven't broken an extractor on it yet. 1/3rd the price of the A5 and more gun in my opinion. Gas operated so slightly heavier but recoil is non existent with it.

I had to shim it to fit me vs. the stock shim that was installed in it out of the box but now shoot it very well.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I love my "New" A5 , maybe because I shoot it really well. I really like the weight of it and have shot a lot of 1 1/8oz loads through it with little felt recoil.

When I first received the gun it had a broken extractor , I contacted Browning and they sent me a whole new bolt assembly . Since then I have shot I'll bet 5000 , maybe more, rounds through it without any problems . I will say you do have to keep it clean and slightly lubricated.

I have found mine to be really reliable with 1oz loads from 1150-1220 fps , which is what I shoot through it most of the time . It will function with a 7/8oz load of mine that is running 1350 fps .

That said I am tempted to try one of the Tristar's. Does anyone know the actual weight of them ?

Last edited by fn16ga on Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:39 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
I love my "New" A5 , maybe because I shoot it really well. I really like the weight of it and have shot a lot of 1 1/8oz loads through it with little felt recoil.

When I first received the gun it had a broken extractor , I contacted Browning and they sent me a whole new bolt assembly . Since then I have shot I'll bet 5000 , maybe more, rounds through it without any problems . I will say you do have to keep it clean and slightly lubricated.

I have found mine to be really reliable with 1oz loads from 1150-1220 fps , which is what I shoot through it most of the time . It will function with a 7/8oz Green Dot load of mine that is running 1350 fps .

That said I am tempted to try one of the Tristar's. Does anyone know the actual weight of them ?

Yeah I shoot the A5 extremely well too. First time shot one was at one of the Sweet 16 shoots and Savage16 was able to talk Browning into lending us one. I shot it most of the day. In the flurry we had a squad all shooting the new Sweet and were the only squad to not let a bird hit the ground and were one man short of a full squad. They are a very fast handling gun.

When my extractor broke I was shooting at Horse and Hunt where National Championships are held including FITASC.

Cutting the bbl. down from 28" to 22" it still handles well and always has been a point and shoot type gun for me, better at instinctive shooting then sustained lead. Getting rid of the steep radius grip for carry while hunting helped a lot with arthritis in my wrists and hands. But also learned why Browning made it that way the steep radius helps absorb recoil. Rudy Etchen would be proud of that grip LOL. And I feel there is something to it and pointability as Etchen preached. Still recoil is relatively mild for such a light gun and all I use for hunting is 1 1/8 oz. at 1290 fps. Because I bought all of them I could find when Walmart blew them out at $4.99 couple of years back. Never really felt any recoil with them either.

My Sweet after being modified now weighs 5 pounds 10 oz. and is a joy to carry all day. Grouse don't seem to like it so much LOL, I still shoot it lights out at least on shorter distances and snap shooting where you have at most 1.5 seconds to find the bird and drop it through cover.

My G2 Bronze weighs 6 pounds 9 oz. The wood is dense, I took my time looking for the right one before I got it so expect the standard G2 is an oz. or 2 lighter. Being gas operated there is almost no felt recoil in it either at least for me. And is an even better clays gun. If I could change anything on it would be to have a 30" bbl. but they don't offer them. Hopefully some day they will.

For the price of the G2 it is really hard to go wrong IMO.
fourtown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the great reviews.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

X2 ..... thinkin on it !

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks, Cold Iron.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I've got a Viper Bronze G2 in 20 guage. Probably 500 rounds through it. I like it a lot other than the trigger. I've put the mcarbo spring upgrade in and it reduced the weight from 7.5 lbs to maybe 7 lbs. Still will hold the weight of the gun up by the trigger without tripping. Time for some polishing. Precision Sports??? will do a trigger job that is highly regarded for like $75 with a week turnaround time.

My niece borrowed it and brother in law found the main recoil spring broken (gun was still functioning perfectly). Tri-Star sent a new spring (and a magazine spring just in case) and had in their hands in 2 days. I don't know if that is foreshadowing future issues, or just a fluke.

5 year warranty from purchase date. I bought mine from Bud's and for $29 added a lifetime warranty. If they can't fix it, they'll allow the purchase price against anything they carry.

Overall, I really like the gun though and plan on buying one in 28 as well.
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:52 am  Reply with quote

I have an Armsan in 28 gauge. It is the same gun as the Tri Star. It has worked perfectly for 3 seasons of upland use now. Mine had a heavy trigger also. I cut a coil off of the trigger return spring and it lowered the pull weight a lot. The gun will fire if finger hung on the trigger (empty of course) Don't know the exact pull weight but the shotgun only weighs 5 1/2 pounds.

Darryl

DUKFVR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:22 am  Reply with quote

When I run across a Tristar 16 with nice wood, I am going to buy one.
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I think I’ve posted here before, but I’ve see a few Bronze’s with pretty nice wood. I picked this 16ga up last year.

[IMG] https://i.postimg.cc/RVDL68vz/FEEB9-E8-B-A662-4-C2-F-AF72-FEEB6-FC34-A7-F.jpg [/IMG]

Echoing much of what’s been said, they’re a nice soft shooting gun, a bit barrel heavy but point nice. Mine comes in at 6lb 7oz, my A5 26” comes in at 5lb 14oz on same scale
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

chilly460 wrote:
I think I’ve posted here before, but I’ve see a few Bronze’s with pretty nice wood. I picked this 16ga up last year.

[IMG] https://i.postimg.cc/RVDL68vz/FEEB9-E8-B-A662-4-C2-F-AF72-FEEB6-FC34-A7-F.jpg [/IMG]

Echoing much of what’s been said, they’re a nice soft shooting gun, a bit barrel heavy but point nice. Mine comes in at 6lb 7oz, my A5 26” comes in at 5lb 14oz on same scale

I saw your original post. Congrats on some fabulous wood. You sure got lucky on that one. I would buy any gauge if I saw a piece like that.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I had a Tri Star Viper in 12ga that I won at a Ducks unlimited Texas hold'em tournament a few year back. It was as good gun but I seldom shoot 12ga anymore. I sold it along with my other 12ga Winchester Super X2 a few monthe back

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235