16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  CZ model 241 16ga
Jta5er
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody ever used one of these guns?
I have always wanted one of them and a rheinmetall to compare to my brownings.
Today I bought this one cheap( at least seemed inexpensive)

I have thousands of 2.5” 16ga shells so couldn’t help myself, hopefully not a big let down?

Last edited by Jta5er on Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I do remember stumbling on a online sale of one maybe 6 years ago. The story I remember was they were only made 46-49 and never sold in the New World. So everyone of the few in this country are aliens so make sure it comes with a green card (fear of needing future parts was a concern for me).

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice !!
A handsome gun
Mike

Jta5er
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I read czechs put 80,000 rounds through first gun before production no problems. But we all know how that goes about believing what you read.
Thanks skeettx I like the look.
Guess I will try the rheinmetall 16 next? They seem more complicated than this CZ

Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Very cool and unusual piece. More pics and details please. Laughing

Pbking51
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:33 am  Reply with quote

A clean semi 16 under 400, not to mention an oddball like that sounds like a win in my book! Let us know how she performs. A5 design I imagine?
Pbking51
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

A clean semi 16 under 400, not to mention an oddball like that sounds like a win in my book! Let us know how she performs. A5 design I imagine?
Jta5er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Will do. Found a group of 4 videos showing complete disassembly and reassembly. Looks like a decent design, will see. I think the wood side panels would look better completely checkered? Maybe make some out of Buffalo horn, they kinda look odd the way they are, but that’s just me. Gun still does have a sporty look.

Jta5er
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Gun came in today, looks better than pics it must have been restored at some point. Cycled my Remington short reloads great but doesn’t like cheds. 6lbs 10oz .668 bore .032 choke chamber 2 5/8” 1948 gun all serial numbers match.Seems to be made well much better than Franchi or savage. I’m happy. Only thing in common with an a5 is the long recoil system (barrel bolt and spring) everything else totally different, very few parts.

Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

That’s a cool looking shotgun. Great find!
Jta5er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Just in case anyone ends up with one of these, shells needs to be longer than 2.5” fold crimp to cycle through correctly. My roll crimp 2.5” work fine, also 2.75 fold crimps work but chamber measured 2 5/8”. Long forcing cone would probably make this thing sing.

Robert Craft is the only gunsmith I could find that is familiar with these he made the 4 videos online and was a great guy to talk to about them.
rbcgunsmithing@hotmail.com

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Cool gun , never heard of them before now.
island boy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 am  Reply with quote

Jta5er wrote:
Robert Craft is the only gunsmith I could find that is familiar with these he made the 4 videos online and was a great guy to talk to about them.
rbcgunsmithing@hotmail.com

I was going to send you this link, where he states he's probably the only collector of these in the US. Here's the excerpt I found from the CZ Collectors Forum, but he probably already told you all of this. He wrote CZ and they sent him the below text. Perhaps you could do the same for your shotgun.

"Hello out there!
My name is Bob, and I am probably the only collector of CZ 241's in the continental US. I will try to cut and paste the information that I have on the 241. These are relatively rare as there was no importation from communist countries during the time of manufacture. Most all of the 241's that I am aware of were brought back by GI's after WWII (as was my first, a 16ga brought back by my father). I too inherited the gun and spent almost 29 years searching for info. Below is the email that I got back from CZ a few years ago.

Dear Robert,

Your shotgun was made by our factory, so you did find your man!
It is a CZ 241 shotgun, which was made in a large production numbers from 1946-1950.

The said shotgun was developed during II. WW by the group of the Czech designers, namely Ladislav Schmitmayer, Vaclav Jindra and Jindrich Brejcha in CZ plant at Uhersky Brod. They received help from an another six gunsmiths working at that time in R&D shop. Work was done secretly as an above mentioned group kept development of CZ 241 from the Germans, who occupied the factory at that time. During the years 1942-1944 the CZ 241 underwent a heavy testing and the tests proved that CZ 241 is an excellent shotgun. In the last test, before full production was introduced, the gun was successfully fired an eighty thousand times without one problem. After liberation of former Czechoslovakia, the CZ 241 went into a full production in 1946. It was produced in three gauges: 12, 16, 20. Weight of the shotgun is 2,90 kg gun. Production started in a factory at City of Strakonice, but very shortly after, the production of the CZ 241 was shifted to our plant in Uhersky Brod. Some of the shotguns were equipped with the cooling rib on top of barrel. Now, there is something which may be interesting to you. In years 1946-1947 the receiver of CZ 241 have been made from light alloy material sourced from the propellers of the American planes shot down over this area by the Germans during the war. The barrels have been made of an excellent material which was used to make the barrels for an aircraft machine gun MG 131. Unfortunately, there is not any of the spare parts available. I am on the same bout as you are. I am owning the twelve gauge CZ 241 myself, and I am too in need of some spare parts. But there is nothing left. All parts have to be custom made by competent tradesmen. Hope, my information will be helpful to you.

Best regards,

xxxx xxxxxx (I have removed the name)
CZ Marketing

I have several pictures of 16's and 12ga guns if anyone is interested. I also managed to finally get these guns mentioned in the "Blue Book of Gun Values" about three years ago. No pricing yet, but I am working on them.

NOTE: These guns were designed to be used with 2 9/16" shells, that is why you will have jamming issues. Don't use 2 3/4" loads as stock damage can occur or worse. The guns are solid and good shooters, but you need to load for them, or have the chamber lengthened. I have lengthened a couple of chambers which helps pressures but will do nothing for empties hanging-up in the ejection port."
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:48 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-16-gauge/-quot-cz-241-16-gauge-s13944-quot-.cfm?gun_id=101875791
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Wow......