16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2022 Season
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

March 1 is the date in Kentucky that resets our time honored tradition in the woods and on the waters of our beautiful region. With it, or rather before it, the plans for a new season begin. My son of 13 and father of 70 will be accompanying during much of the year’s trips.

April/May will bring spring turkey as the first serving. 2 locations have been nice enough to provide permission and early reports suggest a better population in the County.

I’ll likely be carrying my BPS Upland Special in our beloved gauge while my son saddles up the 870 Express version. Both fashioning a trulock choke and some buffered 1-1/4 reloads.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Of all things NOT GREAT about NY , we are still viable for a while yet . Snow geese till mid April , Trout on April 1 st and usually the waters open up a couple weeks before that . Perch when that happens , and then Turkeys for the month of May - that coincides with BUGS !! then nothing till Sept 1st . We have a very active target season during the summer , we'll see how that pans out ! Most guys here are OK for now .

kennedy756
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:27 am  Reply with quote

here in southern Indiana waiting for a little warmer weather to hit the trap range before it get hot and muggy in the summer. Browning citori lightening

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am  Reply with quote

The plans are spring turkey hunting, in Nebraska mid to late April. If my tags come thru turkey hunting here in ND in May. Starting in April, fishing for walleye and northerns. Then some dog work through the summer getting ready for sharpies and huns in September. My good friend will be here for pheasants late October.

Have my son and grandson here sometime in the spring, hope to get some fishing in with them.

In between, plenty of sporting and 5 stand.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Charlie16,

Lets hope the 2022 wild bird season here in Pa is much better than the 2021 Grouse and Woodcock season. The 2021 season was the worst wild bird season Pa has had in 40 years. Many of our Grouse chicks perished because it was way to wet, for way to long, and our Woodcock season really did not exist in 2021, the birds did not really arrive till after our gunning season was over. I took very few Grouse because of their low numbers here in our coverts and only shot a few homie Woodcock. Pheasant season was not bad, however we do not regard them as native birds. The season ran ran till late Feb, however I did not see the number of Pheasants this year that I did in 2019 & 2020, this may have been because of our massive predator problems this year, here in our Potter County mountains.

We are hoping for a dryer colder wild bird season here in Pa this next year, we are hoping the Grouse numbers will rebound.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have 9 days scheduled in VT this year. I’ve never hunted there and have NEVER had that many days to hunt in a row. I’m super stoked, can’t wait. The Iside 20 and 37 Ultra Feather 16 will likely be the two that make the trip.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Yesterday was a glorious day here in Oregon. Sunny, 60's, a great day to be out. Had a great preserve hunt with my new setter pup. Great way to start the new season.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
colsen1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Hoping to finally shoot a little bit this year down here in southeast SC. Moved here a year and a half ago and haven't pulled the trigger since. All the trap/skeet/sporting places around me are private and way out of my price range. Hoping to at least find a place a few hours away to shoot some sporting clays or at least find some well connected friends! I guess when you live in a resort/retirement area it was to be expected a little.

Sadly that's the only thing I miss about when I lived in Maryland, at least I could drive 40 minutes and get to 4 or 5 public shooting facilities.

At least there is plenty of fishing down here!