16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  To Trade or Not to Trade?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Our 16 ga 28” Citori has been great. Clean looks, great handling, fine shooting. But it’s just doesn’t make its way into my hands much. It’s not my field gun. And it’s not ideal for clays either. Actually I don’t really have a clays gun. That’s why I keep thinking about a 30” Citori for clays, and trading the 28” for it. Another option is to mount 2” extension tubes on the 28”. One thing is certain: there’s not room for two Citoris in the safe.

Any thoughts out there?

TIA
B.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Get a bigger safe.
df
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

The above poster gave the perfect answer. The only other possibility would be, get an additional safe.

Last edited by df on Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot mine at clays all the time.
But I shoot clays not so much for competition, but to practice for bird season, and I use the guns I hunt with for clays.
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
I shoot mine at clays all the time.
But I shoot clays not so much for competition, but to practice for bird season, and I use the guns I hunt with for clays.

+1

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
buckmark
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:58 am  Reply with quote

i was in the same boat when I had my Citori 16's...loved them but didnt see much use as I mainly shoot clays and don't reload. So off they went on 12 and 20g clay guns. much easier to pay $85CDN a case than $160 for 16, plus tax!

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

Adding 2" extended choke tubes will not make your Citori a 30" gun. It will add weight to the end of the barrel but you still have a 28" sighting plane. Yeah I know you don't look at the rib. But you do subconsciously. I guarantee if you shoot it with 2" extended tubes on a FITASC peg you will grasp that very quickly.

2" is a lot. I have a 28" for hunting and a 30" for clays on my FAIR made NEA 500 16 ga.

Did I mention that 2" is a lot? At just over 6 pounds it isn't the best clays gun but works very well for me with 7/8 oz. loads. Up to a point.

Millions of clay birds have been broken with a Citori. But they don't work for me and feel like a 4x4. Doesn't matter the length of the bbl. Are you sure that a Citori is the right gun for you?

IIRC you mainly shoot Trap. My youngest son talked me into converting my 30" 12 ga. B. Rizzini Vertex into a trap gun. We all tried to tell him it wasn't a Trap gun but he didn't listen, and he ended up talking me into it.

At the Mn. ATA shoot he placed class runner up with it the first year with a 193. 96x100 in the morning and 97x100 in the afternoon second 100.

But my preference is 32" for most clay sports. 12 or 16.

My thought is sell the 28" and go with the 30, even better 32 if you can find one they exist. But I'd make darn sure that a Citori is the gun that works for you first.

If Trap is all your shooting Rudy Etchen did very well and set all types of ATA trap records with an 870.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Rudy Etchen did very well and set all types of ATA trap records with an 870.

Good point, and very relevant. If I had to pick one gun out of the safe to compete in a high stakes trap shoot this afternoon, it would be the clunky 12ga 11-87. So simple and easy to break clays with it, just point and shoot. It swings itself. And it really splatters them, even with cheap promo ammo.

But we have a great sporting clays course here that might need something a little handier than the near-8 lb 11-87. Hence the notion of a 30” Citori.

Maybe I need to think this over a bit more.

Thanks
B.