16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  TSA “rule”?
kjack
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:05 am  Reply with quote

I went to SD for a pheasant hunt, but my shotguns (M12 16 and Browning M12 28 ) did not. (Borrowed a very pretty steel frame Rizzini O/U 16- IC/Mod - that limited me out both days)

Airline agent said that GunGuard case I was using (with 3 locks) allowed “access” by flipping plastic latches and spreading the half’s. He could touch the guns. He said this was TSA training. At no time did TSA show up.

Local Congress person could only offer sympathy and airline hasn’t responded to complaints. TSA web site rejects comment (no, I didn’t use swear words but may be too long).

Still perplexed and angry.

I have purchased a much more secure case. Wonder how many millions of cases like mine are out there?

Last edited by kjack on Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:10 am  Reply with quote

the only guys here that I know of , and regularly fly , are the registered boys . They travel quite a bit , and say they don't have problems .... I believe their gun cases are really secure vaults once they are closed up . Never thought to ask exactly what cases they use , but will when I see them this week .

kjack
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:16 am  Reply with quote

This is the first time I’ve had issues in at least 6 years of flying with guns. It was a no-fun ambush.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:46 am  Reply with quote

I solved the problem by not flying anymore. I don't give the bastards a dime of my money and won't unless something changes.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:11 am  Reply with quote

when I did consider flying to MOO , the program was to have my guns sent Fed Ex or UPS to myself at the ranch . That's the only legal way to mail a gun NOT to a FFL .... always ended up driving , but the length of the drive , don't know if I could do it now .

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

My guess is that the no touch policy was a result of a theft problem, not an anti-terrorist issue. Organized theft is a stubborn problem at some airports, and strong measures are needed to discourage determined thieves. I shipped a rifle on a flight and secured the cheap plastic case with a snarl of zipties. TSA (or somebody) snipped some of them presumably to inspect but sent it through.

B.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

All the airlines are miserable to fly with anymore. Crowded and rude seems to be the new mode of operating. I'll only fly if no other option is available and...if guns are involved I generally don't, because I'm usually hauling ammo and other hunt-related goodies anyway. But, I don't mind driving. Books on tape, lots of good snack food (& water) and I'm all set.

Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:13 am  Reply with quote

If I can't drive I don't go (being retired gives me that flexibility). I got tired of being treated like a head of cattle by the airlines. Flying used to be a pleasure but the industry lost that ability long ago and I don't think it is ever coming back.
Good Hunting,
Mike
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Flying is still the best way for me to get from SC to SD and the outfitter has ammo so transporting it is not an issue. Yes, flying is a pain but from SC to SD each year, SC to Bolivia last summer and SC to Argentina this summer flying is the quickest and least expensive transportation.

As I recall an older version of the TSA website specifically stated (there was even a short video showing a cheap case being forced open by hand) that if the case could be pried open by hand enough to access the firearm that the case was not TSA compliant.

The current website states "The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed". It is a reasonable interpretation that if the case can be opened enough by hand to touch the firearm that constitutes "access".

I fly with an ICC Impact aluminum case and my SIL who is going with me to SD this fall just bought a case that is also clearly TSA compliant.

The other recommendation I follow is to print out both the TSA and the Airline I'm flying webpage on transporting firearms just in case the airline counter agent is not familiar with the rules. So far all of the counter agents I've had contact with have understood the rules.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Bought home three firearms.

Arrived at SeaTAC and found out that MINN StPaul, had a blizzaaed (in October).
and had to re-route.

Had one case with a rifle, M37 shotgun & M60 J-frame., all tied together with a yellow childsaftey lock [as SEATAC] was known for pilferrred fireamrs.

the outside was secured with two "Master" bike cables series together, [with the one lock wrapped with black tatpe.

TSA questioned the thre together, I responded with they have to take all or nothing.
He agrreed with that.
Asked about the black taped lock and I responeded with different combination and I just wanted to keep the one lock opeartional.

Only fly in the ointment was the aluminum snapcap, as it was too realistic.
But he passed. all.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Have not flown for quite some time now, however we have not hunted Quail in Texas or AZ for a couple years. Use my motor home most of the time to travel for bird hunting. Lately have been renting a dog friendly place to stay in NH, Me and other places in New England. I do have my own log cabin in Potter/Tioga, PA that I spend massive time at bird hunting, and training gun dogs. If things do not improve with the air travel, I will not be flying.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

The few times I have commuted with family guns from Virginia back to Kansas I have had no problems. I have used a heavy aluminum case from Orvis with locks on both latches and a cable lock. ThE airline desk and TSA have been no challenge with broken down SXS guns. I have shipped the other accessories case items like snap caps, etc by mail to reduce the amount of checked items.

I have always been able to drive on my hunting trips so I have not had the real challenges of ammo etc on flights.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:47 am  Reply with quote

I used to fly regularly for work. I also flew with guns with some frequency so I invested in a piece of luggage that concealed the locked case in the bottom section of a roller duffle. Every year, it seemed, that became more of a challenge, with more hoops to jump through and ammo transport became very limited as well. At some point (3-4 years ago) I just stopped flying with guns and started driving to my hunting destinations. With the advent of COVID and all the hysteria associated with that, I just stopped flying period. Maybe someday again, but not until masks are gone.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,,

Your situation is almost identical to mine, and I agree no more flying for me until I believe it will be safe again. Not happy at all about the gun restrictions, in reality one good American man or woman, with a gun on each of those plaines could have stopped 911 from ever happening. Our founders were very learned individuals. Modern politicians undermining our US Constitution always leads to big trouble.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers