16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester 1-1/4 Copper Coated
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:37 am  Reply with quote

I have some old Winchester 16-gauge ammo. Those Copper Plated 1-1/4 oz types. The dram is 3-1/4, which my handy dandy converter says is 1,260 psi. I was thinking of patterning these for turkey. I was curious is anyone remembers patterning these factory loads out of any certain constriction. I would think the speed would make anything more than Full too much (Though I do own a turkey choke I think it will be too much). Maybe more than anything I am kind of wondering a starting point, so I don't waste too many at the patterning board.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:29 am  Reply with quote

This has been my experience with 1 1/4 oz. magnum lead, copper plated and nickle plated shot. New and reloads in 16 gauge.

#7 shot (reloads only) responds the way you would expect as you start tightening the choke right up to full which is .032" in Briley my thin walls.

#6 is the same but, with certain loads may or may not like the full choke.

#5 does well with with modified (.020") and sometimes .025". With my full choke it is not good.

#4 shot. (reloads only) I have never gotten good patterns with #4 shot. No matter what choke or shotgun I have tried using it with. I am going to try to buffer some nickle plated #4 this spring. Other buffered loads haven't been all that great.

I mostly hunt with either a LM .015" or Mod .020" so #5, #6, #7 work real nice.

I have a nice buffered load of #5's for turkey hunting. Modified choke 88% at 40 yards.