16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Opinions wanted - Gun fit and is it worth it.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

MaxSmoke,

I kinda like the idea of another buttstock. I could have it bent for cast and maybe drop and then have someone that knows what they are doing refinish it and match the forend.

I am not great when it comes to working with wood, especially fine detail work.

Bill K
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

My humble suggestion -

RE your Browning which you say you love, contact Browning immediately and ask for their opinion.

I would think that you need to be professional fitted - May cost some money, may involve some travel, make take time. But in the end it will be worth the effort you expended.

Never walk away from anybody or anything that you love.

Browning Citori Upland 16 GA circa 2014
Darne R10 1962
Browning Sweet Sixteen 16 GA circa 1957
Savage Fox Sterlingworth 16 GA circa 1934
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying Bill K.
I am just not sure that a used, very average shotgun is worth that much effort and money spent. I really don't know what it is worth, maybe $1500 or a bit more maybe on a good day to the right person.

Two possibilities. One is Maximum Smoke's advice, buy a new stock and go from there.

The other possibility is adding a very short raised rib. I can shoot a raised rib Browning, did it for years. Then I don't have to mess with anything wood, except to adjust the rib up.

My issue with stock fitters.....many fitters want you to change your mount to fit their idea of how you should mount and shoot......that is up to an instructor not a stock fitter. Too late to go down that road.

I have 3 guns that I shoot pretty well, this gun cannot be a departure from the other 3.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:52 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

Gun fitting is definitely worth having done, depending on just who does the fitting.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Mark , a great way to try out things like short ribs is to just go to a hardware store and get a strip of wood . I can get various widths(heights) for just a couple bucks , cut off a foot of length and try them out . Silicon caulk/glue holds good on vent ribs and comes off easily enough when needed . Guys think I've bought a new gun when i show up without a wood rib on !

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:04 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

Yeah, I kinda think that is what I am going to try. If it works I can go from there.

When it really comes down to it, I don't really need this gun all that bad......but I really like it.

We'll see. I know what needs to happen, but putting $$$ into a $1500 shotgun doesn't make a lot of sense.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:06 am  Reply with quote

I’m now an ardent proponent of proper gun fit now, Mark. I put a foam rubber and Velcro cheek pad on the 11-87, and went out and immediately shot a 24 at skeet. Made it seem SO easy. I was obviously fighting the gun continually without the pad. Surprising how little adjustment it takes to make a huge improvement.

B.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I agree that a gun has to be fitted, the issue with this gun is it has an adjustable comb. There isn't a whole lot that can be done because of the hardware in the comb. There is only 1/8" of wood on the top of the comb left where the hardware is inserted. If I start sanding or rasping the comb down, I will most certainly break through.

I know what I need but how am I going to do it? This is a grade 1 Citori. If this was a Perazzi High Tech, it would be a much easier decision.

If I could play with the adjustments, that would certainly make it easier. I am out of drop adjustment

Right now I am leaning towards 16gaDavis's idea, glue a piece of wood on the rib then I can play with it and if I don't like it I can always take off the wood. If I do like it, I can always buy a rib for it so it looks decent.

707PS
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Yep, let us know how it turns out.
John
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Gun fitting isn't cheap, isn't fast, and will require travel and time. The suggestions to try lengthening pull and such, upthread, strike me as entirely reasonable.

One more thing to consider: if you gain or lose weight, grow a beard or shave off an existing growth, or get fitted wearing clothes you don't wear while hunting or shooting, the fitting will be more or less invalid. This is where adding pads and such really shines.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

After a lot of thought, this shotgun is going down the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I agree that it should be fit, but it just isn't worth the money or the time to have that done.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, move it, i couldn't come up with a solution for you either. Oh well, Citori 16's are replaceable.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Mark
Some elementary trigonometry will show you that increasing the LOP will create more drop. It’s something simple and inexpensive to try before you embark on a major alteration project.

B.

Agree. But also make some angled shims between the butt and the pad. Different angles both ways and thickness. Try to keep them thin as possible. One angle will probably make a slight longer trigger pull will the opposite might happen in reverse.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, if you were closer, I could probably solve this in 1/2 hour. I have fitted guns for friends before, as long as they are willing to allow me to cut wood. If gas doesn't go up beyond what I will pay, I will be about 200 miles from you in a few weeks.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Guns are like girlfriends. The minute you get the feeling that it might be over, it's over.

Put the $ toward the Comp 16. Wink