16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  American Browning vs Savage Automatic
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hey fellas,
I just today managed to make a swap for an exceptionally nice 1940 Browning 16ga Auto-5, built by Remington for Browning due to WW2...

1940 Browning Auto-5, 16ga, 2-3/4 (stamped), round knob, 3-shot model, w/ 28" I/C barrel...no modifications of any kind, and in VERY high condition.

This is NOT the same model as the Remington Model 11 Sportsman, the forearm is shorter than a 5 shot model and it does utilize a shorter distance from the chamber to the barrel lug as well as a shorter spring/magazine tube combo. This model utilizes a traditional magazine cap as well, not the needlessly complicated and heavy Sportsman type lug nut.

I also managed to make a swap last year, just before bird season, for a:

1935/36 Savage Automatic, Upland Sporter, 16ga, 2-3/4 (not stamped), flat knob, 3-shot model, w/ 28" Cylinder barrel....no modifications of any kind, and in VERY high condition.

All of these things taken as a whole, I thought a hands on comparison/review would be in order. So.... here goes:

A) Receiver

Browning: 2-5/8" T, 7-3/4" L, 1-5/16" W, shallow 90 degree profile on rear

Savage: 2-3/4" T, 7-1/4" L, 1-3/8" W, hard 90 degree profile on rear

B) Barrel

Browning: 27-3/4" from chamber to muzzle, no bushing at receiver lug

Savage: 27-3/4" from chamber to muzzle, 1/8" bushing at receiver lug

C) Trigger Guard & Bottom Tang

Browning: trigger assembly: 3-3/8" L, beveled area at lifter, Tang: approx 3" L

Savage: trigger assembly: 3-3/8" L, no bevel area at lifter, Tang: approx 3-3/8" L

D) Stock (from top of receiver to top of butt plate, L & W) & Forearm (L & W)

Browning: Stock: 12-5/16" L, 1-5/8" W, curved at plate, round knob
Forearm: 9-7/8" L, 1-1/2" W, deep finger groove

Savage: Stock: 12-5/16" L, 1-5/8" W, flat at plate, flat knob with bevel
Forearm: 9-7/8" L, 1-5/8" W, shallow finger groove

(both guns feature checkering patterns unique to their specific models, these patterns are not common to any other model from like manufacturer)

E) Ejection Port, Loading Port, Misc

Browning: Ejection Port: 2-3/4" L (chamber to rear of port), 7/8" T

Loading Port: 2-7/8" L (from bevel to magazine follower), 7/8" W

Magazine Cut-off: Yes

Savage: Ejection Port: 2-5/8" L (chamber to rear of port), 15/16" T

Loading Port: 2-3/4" L (no bevel to magazine follower), 7/8" W

Magazine Cut-off: No

F) Weight

Browning: approx 7lbs, 2oz

Savage: approx 7lbs, 13oz

These guns are remarkably similar in form, function and style, however side by side and in hand they are remarkably different.

The Browning balances directly below the chamber, the Savage balances directly below the bolt release button, about a 1/2" difference, which makes for quite a dramatic difference in handling. The Savage is not unusually heavy, and though it is built on a 12ga receiver, it is not unusually tall or ungainly in appearance. The Browning does have a slightly sleeker appearance, and I would attribute this to the slightly longer receiver and the shallower angle at the rear of the receiver (the classic Hump).

The Browning handles ALL shells fed thru it with absolutely no issue in any way, however the Savage is very finnicky, and now after making these measurements, Im going to take a leap and call out the difference in distance from the chamber to rear of ejection port as the culprit. The Savage has a barrel extension that enters the ejection port cut-out...this is common to all Savage Automatic shotguns (see earlier post regarding Savage Automatic vs Savage 720 etc), and these earlier Savage Automatics that I have owned in the past have been exceptionally finnicky in the field resulting in jamming issues after firing when using any ammunition except Remington Game Loads or Federal shells. This Upland 3 Shot model is no exception.
The Browning barrel extension is flush with the ejection port opening.

In conclusion, these two guns are incredibly unique only unto their time, the mid 1930s thru the mid 1940s, and both possess the high points of machined steel as well as hand fit & checkered walnut. Real care and attention was put into the construction of these guns, and the sharply cut and milled edges internally are still sharp and crisp 80 plus years later. Both of these guns were used for many years and cared for well before I came into possession of them, but neither guns are worn much at all, and I suspect these were firearms purchased after ALOT of careful deciding and some pennies packed away for quite some time.

These guns are both 100% viable field guns in today's hunting world. There isn't anything that allows them to be called obsolete, and the age old tale of "good luck getting parts" just isn't an issue in todays world of the internet. While they aren't technically "Sweet 16's" they certainly are a sweet addition to any collection of vintage shotguns, and will provide pride of ownership as you carry them afield.

Last edited by dannypratt on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like you've made 2 major scores Danny,good for you. Its hard to find a Sweet 16 that would match those weights plus both are 3 shot versions? Very cool indeed.

Flues16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

6lbs 8ozs, that's a very light American Browning! My 1941 16 gauge American Browning with a 28" ribbed barrel weighs 7lbs 15oz. My 20 gauge American Browning with a 26" plain barrel weighs 7lbs 9ozs.
Thanks for your post and detailed study of those two classic shotguns.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

CORRECTION

Those were weights for 2 completely different guns I was also comparing...

Proper weights have been edited.

Sorry about that guys.

Flues16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
CORRECTION

Those were weights for 2 completely different guns I was also comparing...

Proper weights have been edited.

Sorry about that guys.

Even so, 7lbs 2oz is light for an American Browning. They, like the Remington Model 11, tend to be a little heavy. Thanks for the correction!

dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Flues,
I think the fact that it's a 3 shot model knocks off ALOT of that weight,and the handling increases to a much better balance being that the weight removed is in the forward half of the gun.

It is indeed a fairly light gun given its origins. I'm really excited about it. It weighs about a pound more than my same vintage Remington 31 w/ 26" barrel...so it will make a great pair on a hunting trip. I liked the Savage Upland Sporter quite a bit before this Remington/Browning came along. It will be interesting to take both of these autoloaders out in field and carry them for a 1/2 day each to compare.
It's not a matter of one being heavier than the other, it's really the balance points that change the feel of the gun.

fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Cool in-depth comparison of cool American made guns. At one time a few years ago I really wanted a 16 ga, Savage, just for the coolness factor.

But I realized I would then shoot my current repeaters even less than I do now, and that's not fair.
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:03 am  Reply with quote

DE and I have been selling back and forth a Rem11 from the first year of production in 16ga,something like 1934. The early guns had a much different shaped forearm and stock and balance very well making it feel lighter than the 7lb 4.5 oz I'm getting off my little digital scale. A brother has Dads Savage 720 so I cant weigh that but I have a list somewhere of different guns weight so I'll post it if I find it.